Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Marshall told he can leave

One year left on contract. Who is making these decisions at the moment?

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-will-not-block-summer-exit-for-winger/

(I know it's on the rumours thread, but probably deserves one of its own)

Comments

• If he’s got one year left on his contract, does that mean it’s been paid off?
  • Surely it should be a decision for the manager to make! Maybe Bowyer has been given power to plan for next season. Might be a sign!
  • If he’s got one year left on his contract, does that mean it’s been paid off?

I assume that in old language "he's on the transfer list"

No reason to pay him off
  • edited June 2018
    Reading between the lines it would seem that he threw a wobbly at not being in the starting line up for the run in and playoffs and shot his mouth off maybe?
    This eventually led to him not even being in the squad.
    It must be said he was something of a disappointment and speaking for myself he won’t be missed that much.
    This is just my opinion based on something I’ve heard.
  • Weird. The way that article is phrased though it could be read that they won't stop him if he wants to go. He's had some personal issues that have had him travelling recently so it could possibly be him wanting to move more than us booting him out. I hope so as he would make for an experienced back-up in League One that we could use
  • edited June 2018
    Yes, very plausible, so you could understand Bowyer taking that decision. But if he is able to make these decisions he must have been given power to do so. A new manager coming in might want Marshall!
  • Given the amount of players we already need to replace (Amos, Dasilva, Kashi, Zyro, Mavididi etc) can we really afford to be letting other squad players go? Marshall is more than capable at this level for 1 more season.

Agree though he's probably on a good wage for a squad player. Was signed on a free and seen as one of our big signings last summer.
  • Surely it should be a decision for the manager to make! Maybe Bowyer has been given power to plan for next season. Might be a sign!

https://youtu.be/Ka9mfZbTFbk
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he could become a solid full back.
  • I think he could become a solid full back.

I think that's his only way forward. Negligible as an attacking threat
  • He’s obviously fallen out with the coaching staff . It’s not a big loss to be fair . He’s been a major disappointment. I can’t remember him going past a defender with the ball although he did have a few good games when he tracked back really well .
  • edited June 2018
    To me this suggests Bowyer will be in charge next season which is sensible, will mean he will know what he is not needed (Marshall) and what is needed for the squad.
  • He did appear to have a hissy fit in the play offs so i would guess it got a bit out of hand and Hatchet Man Bowyer has told him where to go.
  • Would have kept him as a squad player but not bothered if he goes. He's a decent League 1 player on a good day but doesn't have enough of them.
  • I'd keep him. Offers cover for the right back, puts in a shift, hard worker.
  • Reading between the lines it would seem that he threw a wobbly at not being in the starting line up for the run in and playoffs and shot his mouth off maybe?
    It must be said he was something of a disappointment and speaking for myself he won’t be missed that much.

He should've started though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Huge game against Blackburn but otherwise a major disappointment over the season given the hype. Won’t be bothered if he leaves on the assumption/hope/delusion that we will bring in better.
  • Abandon ship!
  • Let's be honest, if you take out Marshall's last 5 games for us, no-one would give a shit.

Those final 5 games changed a lot of people's perception of Marshall
  • sam3110 said:

Let's be honest, if you take out Marshall's last 5 games for us, no-one would give a shit.

Good against Blackburn, good against Pompey, I thought he did a job against Shrewsbury in the league game but wasn't particularly special, what two am I missing?
  • SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

Let's be honest, if you take out Marshall's last 5 games for us, no-one would give a shit.

Good against Blackburn, good against Pompey, I thought he did a job against Shrewsbury in the league game but wasn't particularly special, what two am I missing?
    Defensively he was incredible in the 3 games you mention.
    One against Blackburn, (I think), where he tracked back 50 yards and made block that Richard Rufus would be proud of.
  • Howells said:

SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

One against Blackburn, (I think), where he tracked back 50 yards and made block that Richard Rufus would be proud of.
    Then again, that's not really why you sign wingers, sure it's a bonus, but he really hasn't impressed much going forward.
  • Missed It said:

Howells said:

SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

Then again, that's not really why you sign wingers, sure it's a bonus, but he really hasn't impressed much going forward.
    Yeah that's the thing, he was very good defensively at times, but he looked so awkward on the ball at times that I'd almost worry about playing him at fullback if he was able to defend and pick up the positioning of a fullback.

His cross was largely woeful. I struggle to think of him beating a man with the ball at his feet, and his touch was poor. I think he is capable of better, but I don't know how much better.
  • Reading between the lines it would seem that he threw a wobbly at not being in the starting line up for the run in and playoffs and shot his mouth off maybe?

He should've started though.
    And done what? Especially in the second leg. He would be a decent League 1 winger if we had others around him who could create, and I think he was unlucky to miss out in the first leg to help protect the RB, but when we needed to go for it in the second leg then I don't believe he should have started