Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Apple MacBook repairs.

Anyone got a recommendation of a trusted place that can do this other than apple? My 2011 MacBook Pro needs a new battery and trackpad.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• I used iStore in The Strand recently and was pleased with what they were able to do and the price. They are Apple-approved but independent.
  • buckshee said:

Anyone got a recommendation of a trusted place that can do this other than apple? My 2011 MacBook Pro needs a new battery and trackpad.

Cheers in advance

Have you had a quote from apple re. the battery? My 2015 one needs a new battery but haven't got a quote yet.
  • I’m sure if you go on Apples website , you can get a list of trusted repairers
  • buckshee said:

Cheers in advance

Is this because the cursor on the screen is jumping all over the place?

Had this recently on MacBook of same age. The battery/track pad replacement is the recommended action.

I cleaned out various odds and ends like cookies and start up items plus unused apps and problem went away.
  • I had a similar problem in that my trackpad stopped working. Took it to a place in Bayswater as I was working that way and it was about 100 to fix.
  • If the battery is swollen enough, it might be putting pressure on the trackpad. I've seen that before. Once the battery is replaced, the trackpad issues are resolved.
  • LoOkOuT said:

If the battery is swollen enough, it might be putting pressure on the trackpad. I've seen that before. Once the battery is replaced, the trackpad issues are resolved.

It’s exactly that but I’ve taken the swollen battery out and it’s still doing it so I guess that’s what the issue is. It’s like the Trigger’s broom of laptops now but an equivalent replacement is around £1500!
  • Ive found putting in new hard drives and batteries surprisingly easy on my 2011 mac. Im not sure if they've made it harder on the 2015 editions.
  • Shrew said:

Ive found putting in new hard drives and batteries surprisingly easy on my 2011 mac. Im not sure if they've made it harder on the 2015 editions.

I replaced the hard drive for an SSD one a few years back but before I dos that I’d been using a hybrid drive and that was what caused the battery to swell I think.

Anyway I’m booked in for a Genius Bar on Saturday to see what the damage will be to get it repaired.
  • This company in Bexleyheath may be able to help, it's run by an old friend of mine:

https://www.facebook.com/fruitgeekuk/
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

Shrew said:

Ive found putting in new hard drives and batteries surprisingly easy on my 2011 mac. Im not sure if they've made it harder on the 2015 editions.

I replaced the hard drive for an SSD one a few years back but before I dos that I’d been using a hybrid drive and that was what caused the battery to swell I think.

Anyway I’m booked in for a Genius Bar on Saturday to see what the damage will be to get it repaired.
    I'd recommend Amsys, who are on Poland Street in Soho. They're authorised, and in terms of price/quality of repair/timeframes, they were pretty good across all three (best combo of them I could find).
  • Saga Lout said:

This company in Bexleyheath may be able to help, it's run by an old friend of mine:

Another vote for James here, ex Apple employee top lad

• Was quoted £250 by a company in Tunbridge Wells earlier. Looking like going down the refurbed route is my option now as I can get one which is a year more recent than mine for around £400
  • I use LogoSystems in Greenwich. Always been very happy with them.
  • Vincenzo said:

I use LogoSystems in Greenwich. Always been very happy with them.

Where abouts are they Vincenzo? I’ve got a feeling this may be two of my old neighbours that run this.
  • AndyP said:

Saga Lout said:

This company in Bexleyheath may be able to help, it's run by an old friend of mine:

Another vote for James here, ex Apple employee top lad

James has quoted me £160. I lost out bidding for one on eBay earlier so will probably get James to repair mine for now.