Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• Most modern pro kits are pretty horrible to be honest. Far too many logos - but I guess it pays the bills.

The DD kit above is ok though.
  • That was impressive today. Yates is beginning to remind me of Contador... exciting and attacking.

The future of British cycling is very bright.
  • edited May 2018
    Certainly looked good today.

Is he doping dodgy or can I believe in this one?
  • Certainly looked good today.

Is he doping dodgy or can I believe in this one?

Certainly not at anything like the industrial strength levels of epo, steroids and hgh we saw up until the end of Armstrong. I'd imagine all of them use the TUE system to suit them (shouldn't exist imo) but there's no reason to suspect Yates is dirty. He's been quietly getting more impressive every year and looks like he's now able to keep it together for more than a week at a time. Another excellent ride today - though again, props to Dumoulin for keeping it together enough to get back on the chasing group after being dropped. Really looks like a two horse race - but a very, very close one. TT is absolutely crucial. Whoever comes out wearing pink after that will likely win
  • Cheers, Leroy.
  • Tuesday's TT is certainly going to be a tester.
  • edited May 2018
    Another great victory for Yates but I bet Dumoulin is fuming after yesterday. that chasing group had a chance of catching Yates but no one helped him, (apart from Pinot) they were too busy saving their energy to then attack him. thought that was pretty negative by those riders, though I get why they did it as Dumoulin is a real threat. anyway you would then think they would work together to keep Dumoulin at a distance but again they start pissing about with each other which means Dumoulin gets back at them and pips most of them on the line. in a way I was pleased and impressed that he did.

Froome after a momentous effort on Saturday looks out of it for good now. he's still dangerous and will no doubt go on an attack but I cant see him sustaining it over a course of stages. Biggest disappointment so far in this tour is Aru. he's been struggling throughout.
  • Yates looks to have survived the Time Trial

Lost 75secs to Dumoulin today yet dont see him losing enough in the next five days to lose the Pink Jersey!!
  • Great ride. We could see two Brits on the Rome podium.
  • Yep solid ride by yates. Plus Pinot lost a whole load of time. Here's to the great french hope! Haha.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

Great ride. We could see two Brits on the Rome podium.

Absolutely.

I can still see Froome closing down those three minutes on Dumoulin, though I'm sure Pozzovivo will feel he can keep that final podium place.

Really going to be an exciting week. Can't wait.

• edited May 2018
    I had a Pound each way on Pinot.

I'm devastated.

Yates should win now, but none of us knows if he'll crack in week three. It doesn't look like he will, but it's a funny old sport. I'm not even sure if he knows.
  • it was interesting to hear from Yates yesterday when he said he and his team would ride defensively from now on. not sure that's such a great idea as the reason he's in pink is for his positive attacking but maybe they will try to emulate Sky's tactics from the passed.(as Mitchiln-scott have got a good team). they controlled the pace, nullified any attacks from GC riders then let Froome attack right near the end to show his strength and demoralise his rivals to gain a few seconds.

somehow I see Yates breaking away in the Alps whether his team tells him to or not. he's too much of an attacker.
  • it was interesting to hear from Yates yesterday when he said he and his team would ride defensively from now on. not sure that's such a great idea as the reason he's in pink is for his positive attacking but maybe they will try to emulate Sky's tactics from the passed.(as Mitchiln-scott have got a good team). they controlled the pace, nullified any attacks from GC riders then let Froome attack right near the end to show his strength and demoralise his rivals to gain a few seconds.

somehow I see Yates breaking away in the Alps whether his team tells him to or not. he's too much of an attacker.

Even though he said that, he also mentioned he doesn’t like defensive riding.

I agree with you, I think he will go for it. Plus Froome now needs to attack and they could work together.
  • Yep solid ride by yates. Plus Pinot lost a whole load of time. Here's to the great french hope! Haha.

I thought that was Roman Bardet now?
  • stonemuse said:

it was interesting to hear from Yates yesterday when he said he and his team would ride defensively from now on. not sure that's such a great idea as the reason he's in pink is for his positive attacking but maybe they will try to emulate Sky's tactics from the passed.(as Mitchiln-scott have got a good team). they controlled the pace, nullified any attacks from GC riders then let Froome attack right near the end to show his strength and demoralise his rivals to gain a few seconds.

Even though he said that, he also mentioned he doesn’t like defensive riding.

I agree with you, I think he will go for it. Plus Froome now needs to attack and they could work together.
    now that would be a sight to see. Froome and Yates together leading the charge up a mountain.

wonder if Chaves is in any shape to go on one of his attacks?

I thought that was Roman Bardet now?
    Pinot for this race, Bardet for the Tour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kicking off now.
  • Ouch, has just lost 28-secs to Dumoulin

With two more mountain stages left its going to be a fun last few days
  • Froomey going the wrong way after shaking it all up is annoying
  • Felt sorry for Wout Poels, bit like Rigoberto Uran in the TDF Pozzovivo had closed it down anyway.
  • Such a brilliant race this years Giro.
  • 13 km to go....Froome giving it a right go.
  • Oh dear. Poor Simon. Hopefully his day/ grand tour will come.
    Dumoulin wobbling...
  • Fantastic from Froome.