Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sid Cheesewright

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
I have to say that this guy is a ledgend....an absolute 'one off' character who is as eccentric as they come but none the less always worth a laugh.
On Tuesday evening at Bromley he was on top form.
Before the meeting started he was cursing away to a small group of us at how daft it was that our guests had been advised not to attend, stating that if they couldn't be trusted not to say anything that may upset the apple cart that they shouldn't be directors in the first place.
Add to that the fact that poor old Sid was the only person there who didn't know they would not be attending...(he doesn't have a computer evidently so couldn't be contacted) and the scene was set. Sid was not a happy man!!
During the AGM session at the begining of the meeting we were asked if anyone had any further questions....Right on queue dear old Sid kicks off and starts to question the treasurer on a couple of rather obscure points that I'm sure Richard Murray won't even have to answer over the next few weeks....and all over the amount of interest our accounts had earned that year....we we're talking pence here folks!
Sid don't EVER change mate your a ledge...one of those wonderful off the wall characters that makes supporting The Addicks one of lifes joys.
Anyone who's never met Sid should try to do so at sometime before he or you are no longer around to do so.Daft as a brush sometimes but lovable with it....what a character!

Comments

• ... and got to give him credit, he gets a good deal on the trains. Only used him a couple of times, but well worth it.
  • Syd Cheesewright, the guy that used to drive coaches/buses? and always wore his badge to away games on the coach?
  • Syd is legend but he also puts a lot of work into running the cheap trains and is Charlton thru and thru. Also put a serious amount of dosh into the VIP scheme back in 92.

He drove the team bus once to an away game as well. Once. Curbs said never again.

And Syd wanted to know why we had no liabilities shown on the accounts. Mark kept a very straight face and said "cos we have no liabilities"

There were a few others who didn't know the guests weren't coming on Tuesday, my brother for one but that's his fault for not putting his email on the Bromley members list!
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Syd Cheesewright, the guy that used to drive coaches/buses? and always wore his badge to away games on the coach?

Free lunch at some service stations if you bring a coach in. So Syd would stop at the service station where he got a free meal not where everyone else wanted to stop.

Go by car, oh yes I do.
  • Thought this thread was going to be about a new Steve Coogan charecter
  • And at least Syd didn't ask a question at Bromley about Pot Holes in the car park like some other plonker did ; - )
  • He used to charge about 50p for a mars bar about 15 years ago !

On his way out on Tuesday he was threatening people he would personally bar them from travelling to Cardiff if they were wearing even a hint of red !
  • More like Harry Enfield.

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Syd Cheesewright, the guy that used to drive coaches/buses? and always wore his badge to away games on the coach?

Free lunch at some service stations if you bring a coach in. So Syd would stop at the service station where he got a free meal not where everyone else wanted to stop.

Go by car, oh yes I do.

That's why we always stopped at Watford Gap!

Didn't the supporters club ban Sid from Driving coaches at one stage.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]He used to charge about 50p for a mars bar about 15 years ago !

On his way out on Tuesday he was threatening people he would personally bar them from travelling to Cardiff if they were wearing even a hint of red !

was he? Why?
  • If and when I ever decide to write a book about life at Charlton then Syd would probably warrant a chapter of his own. Crashing his coach at the first ever free travel thingy to Port Vale into the wall of the car park, thus ensuring that some of the convoy went haring off to the M6 whilst another 30 coaches were stuck behind him, while the Police outriders didn't know whether to stay with those stuck behind him or set off in pursuit of the escapees is one of his finest hours. As for the team coach one - Middlesbrough away, 1st game of the season, 1997/98 - it was gone midnight by the time they got back to Sparrows Lane!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]More like Harry Enfield.

[cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Syd Cheesewright, the guy that used to drive coaches/buses? and always wore his badge to away games on the coach?

Go by car, oh yes I do.

Never heard that but never paid much attention to CASC coaches politics. Life's too short.
  • Me and a friend were driving to Sunderland for an away game when we bumped into Syd at a service station. He asked us which way we were going and then said 'no, no, no here's a better route...' needless to say we ended up missing the first 15mins of the match.

Legend
  • [cite]Posted By: Rock Spectacle[/cite]If and when I ever decide to write a book about life at Charlton then Syd would probably warrant a chapter of his own. Crashing his coach at the first ever free travel thingy to Port Vale into the wall of the car park, thus ensuring that some of the convoy went haring off to the M6 whilst another 30 coaches were stuck behind him, while the Police outriders didn't know whether to stay with those stuck behind him or set off in pursuit of the escapees is one of his finest hours. As for the team coach one - Middlesbrough away, 1st game of the season, 1997/98 - it was gone midnight by the time they got back to Sparrows Lane!

Hi Rocky, Did Slackers get in touch with you? He'd lost your number
  • BDLBDL
    edited October 2008
    We were in the Coach behind him (Port Vale) and I made sure the driver got out before him, that may have caused the crash?!? Ho hum ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]He used to charge about 50p for a mars bar about 15 years ago !

was he? Why?

Because he's been told that you can't wear red !!! LOL
  • edited October 2008
    Well maybe not a great idea to wear colours to Cardiff but........... LOL
  • he was quality,i didn't realise that was sid I was pissing myself.As soon as he had his moan he pissed off home.Quality
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]he was quality,i didn't realise that was sid I was pissing myself.As soon as he had his moan he pissed off home.Quality

wanted to know if we were getting enough interest on our accounts. All for the £15 profit we made last year!!!
  • an absolute legend of the highest order

I remember him going absolutely bonkers at Scunthorpe last season at people who'd taken an offy detour on the way home... I wasn't even on the official trip and he was starting to have a go at me as well!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]he was quality,i didn't realise that was sid I was pissing myself.As soon as he had his moan he pissed off home.Quality

wanted to know if we were getting enough interest on our accounts. All for the £15 profit we made last year!!!

Corrupt to the core...the lot of ya....PMSL :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]he was quality,i didn't realise that was sid I was pissing myself.As soon as he had his moan he pissed off home.Quality

Corrupt to the core...the lot of ya....PMSL :-)

Would mind but we even have the accounts checked by a FCCA ; - )
  • He left early to watch the second half of the England U21s. I don't know why he bothered coming as he spent the first session reading his newspaper noisly - after his questions on interest bearing sporting accounts was knocked back by Mark.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]More like Harry Enfield.

Go by car, oh yes I do.

If its the same guy, I remember being on a coach to Roker Park and the second driver being taken unwell (I Think) AND Sid decided to to do the second stage of the driving, we ended up lost somewhere in Sunderland, 20 minutes late for the kick off, and it pi55ed down the whole time.
  • 2 people read newspapers through the whole thing, while another done a crossroad throughout. Average age is at least 83. I love going over there, makes me feel young !!

Fortunately they got a new committee member to bring some young blood to precedings !
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Syd is legend but he also puts a lot of work into running the cheap trains

That's an understatement. At an away game last season one of my mates enquired about an upcoming away game and he produced info (train times, train prices, journey length, route to the ground from station etc etc) for away games for the next 3-4 months!!
  • In my extensive Charlton archive that is tucked away in a vault in Charlton (or the cellar at our house) I still have a file of correspondence between CASC and Syd that whenever I think the phrase "you couldn't make it up" is a load of rubbish, I refer to said file - as you really could not make it up! And you Bromley lot are well dodgy, not risking members' money to make a speculative profit - outrageous - that £15 could have easily gone on the 3.20 at Kempton :)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]2 people read newspapers through the whole thing, while another done a crossroad throughout. Average age is at least 83. I love going over there, makes me feel young !!

Fortunately they got a new committee member to bring some young blood to precedings !

LOL

Will be different for Wagstaff and Elliot.
  • I'd lay evens that your new committee member won't make the next meeting.

I'm sure I heard him talking about digging out The Valley when he was younger.
  • It's an absolute disgrace that Bromley branch have players going there (as per our previous whisper Henry!). If I had a branch I would demand the entire first team squad, all of the board and the exhumed remaions of Lucky the Cat visit our small social club on a wet Tuesday night where there is nowhere for them to park their large vehicles - obviously favouritism being applied here - I'm going to write to someone and shout a lot on the phone:)

Really used to enjoy that part of the job!
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I'd lay evens that your new committee member won't make the next meeting.

I'm sure I heard him talking about digging out The Valley when he was younger.

I'm trying not to laugh at that. I'm trying really hard not to.

Shame on all the youngsters at the bar who ducked the job : - )