Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

East Coast Main Line.

With the takeover of the East Coast Main Line in to State ownership,I was wondering why this line has had so many problems and The West Coast seems relative free,apart from a few hitches when Virgin took control. I have traveled the West Coast several times and you could not wish for a better service. After all both Line,s are Virgin backed,so why all the hassel with The East Coast.

Comments

• What,s proper Charlton to do with how trains are run?
  • They were given an 8 year contract, and forecast increases in revenue based on track upgrades (which would have meant they could run extra trains). The track upgrades have not happened due to government cut backs; revenue has not increased as expected. Not making money so Stagecoach dump it.
  • edited May 2018
    Derek1952 said:

What,s proper Charlton to do with how trains are run?

I take it that comment is in jest.

If not - dear, oh dear, oh dear!!
  • I do not live in Charlton,but my first game was in 1951
  • edited May 2018
    Stig said:

Have I got this privatisation thing right?

Run a successful business and make lots of money = congratulations you are now rich(er) as a result of providing a necessary public service for which the basic infrastructure was there anyway.
    Run an unsuccessful business and fail to make lots of money = cut your losses and hand the problem back to the government. You aren't expected to make a loss you know. Let the public take the hit.

Yes this is correct and has successfully worked for the banking sector
  • Derek1952 said:

Because we are nicknamed trainspotters Derek. So he was just making a little in joke. No offence meant.

• Sponsored links:

• Derek1952 said:

Sorry Derek, it was a poor attempt at humour. It was a train question and as Charlton fans we like nothing more than to talk about and share our vast knowledge of trains (or so we're told).

Hope I haven't upset you.
  • Derek1952 said:

Sorry Derek, it was a poor attempt at humour. It was a train question and as Charlton fans we like nothing more than to talk about and share our vast knowledge of trains (or so we're told).

He's gone right loco.
  • Its ok no one has upset me sorry I did not get the joke. When its written it is difficult to read the true meaning. Not having a business brain I could just could understand why the West Coast is ok.up to a point and the East Coast has problems.
  • not undestand.

• Derek1952 said:

Too late mate.....the damage has already been done!
  • Have you seen the silly name the government are now going to call the east coast franchise, L.N.E.R. I mean, whoever dreamt up a name like that, what does it stand for. Let see what we can make out of those initials. The east coast main line starts in London, so the L could stand for London, now the line runs north, so possibly the N may stand for North, E, lets leave that one for a moment, while I think about it, as it's a railway, the R should mean Railway, the railway uses the east coast main, so the E must have something to do with the East, so how about, Eastern Railway. Now we are getting somewhere, if we joined all these suggestion up, we could come up with, perhaps, the London North Eastern Railway, well that as gooda name for a railway as any, I suppose. Then, they could then employ an engineer called Nigel Gresley, (Sorry, not another Nigel, but I can't think of another name at the moment) and he could design the fastest steam engine in the world, but, being a Nigel, he will name the fastest steam engine in the world after a common wad duck. Well my idea on it, and that's why Charlton supporters are called "Trainspotters"
  • edited May 2018
  • Sponsored links:

• NSFW

Phwoar!