Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steven Gerrard - new Rangers manager

Reports everywhere stating he's about to be announced as their manager for next season.

Can't fault him for accepting the offer as i can't imagine him being offered a similar sized job any time soon.

Getting a mixed reception on Merseyside. Obviously a Liverpool legend but a lot of Liverpool fans follow Celtic so plenty aren't too keen on him going there.

Comments

• pure insanity on everyone’s part if this comes to fruition.
  • edited April 2018
    its a job and a pretty big one in terms of size of club. he has no affiliation with the club and little (i say little it could even be none but not sure if he's done anything for a youth team at Liverpool or something) experience at managering so its a strange decision by Rangers. still I guess they will get a bit of attention from the appointment. might be a few more people watching them on tv to see how stevie g gets on.
  • Rangers would be a good start for someone like Gerrard or Lampard even

Forgot about the Liverpool / Celtic link yet just rolled my eyes when I read it
  • Will get Rangers publicity if he goes but can't believe he really wants it.
  • Nice to see a top level player retire and go into management rather than just take the easy job of working in the media and bleating on about how others should manage their jobs.

English football has produced a lot of good players that could have done major things in management (not just in the Premier League but maybe at an international level), but the majority of them don't seem bothered by the prospect.
  • cafctom said:

Nice to see a top level player retire and go into management rather than just take the easy job of working in the media and bleating on about how others should manage their jobs.

English football has produced a lot of good players that could have done major things in management (not just in the Premier League but maybe at an international level), but the majority of them don't seem bothered by the prospect.

The trouble with a lot of players is they have a sense of entitlement about walking into a top job with no experience. Seems bizarre....

A lot of the best managers weren't great players and possibly have learnt things the hard way.
  • Difficult job, Celtic are miles ahead of them in terms of squad and resources at the moment, and he'll be expected to get them up level.
  • Sponsored links:

• its a job and a pretty big one in terms of size of club. he has no affiliation with the club and little (i say little it could even be none but not sure if he's done anything for a youth team at Liverpool or something) experience at managering so its a strange decision by Rangers. still I guess they will get a bit of attention from the appointment. might be a few more people watching them on tv to see how stevie g gets on.

Not saying it would be the right choice (souness was just as inexperienced in 1986, and look what he achieved) but why would Gerrard have to have affiliation with the club?
  • Celtic and or rangers are a good starter job for the likes of lampard and gerrard to be honest. Big clubs but not much in the way of a challenge domestically so they can cut their teeth that way rather being on the merry go round in England.
  • DA9 said:

its a job and a pretty big one in terms of size of club. he has no affiliation with the club and little (i say little it could even be none but not sure if he's done anything for a youth team at Liverpool or something) experience at managering so its a strange decision by Rangers. still I guess they will get a bit of attention from the appointment. might be a few more people watching them on tv to see how stevie g gets on.

Not saying it would be the right choice (souness was just as inexperienced in 1986, and look what he achieved) but why would Gerrard have to have affiliation with the club?
    And look what John Barnes did.
  • What's this Liverpool/Celtic link people are talking about? Are they affiliated in some way?
  • DA9 said:

I just mean when an ex club player or legend takes over it usually doesn't matter if that said person has any experience. for example powell, bowyer, gritt and curbs for us. lennon for celtic, harris for millwall etc..
  • DA9 said:

And look what John Barnes did.
    I guess that proves it then. All managers must have an affiliation with a club otherwise they’ll definitely fail.
  • Personally I would have wanted someone with experience, especially as they're getting closer to 9 but it Derek McInnes is turning Rangers down that is unlikely.
  • Might have changed his mind after watching that 45 minutes.

Rangers are a good few years or a rich investor away from catching Celtic anytime soon.
  • He could probably still play for Rangers the way things are going!
  • se9addick said:

He could probably still play for Rangers the way things are going!

Would be the club's best midfielder.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

He could probably still play for Rangers the way things are going!

Would be the club's best midfielder.
    Shocking state of affairs.
  • Scoham said:

Sol Campbell won’t be impressed.

It's abroad. He never fancied going abroad.
  • Surely with a name like Campbell it will be like going home?
  • Madness if he becomes their new manager. No experience & no groundwork at a lower level. Just because he was a good player doesn't make him a good manager - just look at Bobby Charlton.
  • Can't see that either Rangers or Gerrard have anything to lose. Great opportunity for Gerrard and Rangers are looking for a Messiah, with the sorry state they are in!!
    Feel sorry for their 43,000 season ticket holders and the 8,000 fans that paid £50 a pop for watching that display today
  • DOC64 said:

Can't see that either Rangers or Gerrard have anything to lose. Great opportunity for Gerrard and Rangers are looking for a Messiah, with the sorry state they are in!!
    Feel sorry for their 43,000 season ticket holders and the 8,000 fans that paid £50 a pop for watching that display today

£50? £10 a goal, not bad value.
  • Bit like my golf. Lots of shots = vfm!!
  • Apparently Rangers fans have stormed the Poty dinner tonight.