Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• dickplumb said:
    Interesting interview that, particularly where he talks about his work rate and desire which many have questioned.
    We are seeing the benefits now of a motivated and "loved" player.
  • "I want to score goals but more importantly I want to play at a higher level. I’d rather not score all season if we get into the top six. I’ve got no problem with that at all.”

Really uncommon attitude for a striker to have. It's good to see though, shows a great team spirit rather than a bunch of individuals out for themselves
  • This could really be a turning point for Nicky at Charlton
  • Lot of truth in what he says but he also missed a shed load of good chances under Slade.

But clearly got messed around under Robinson (like a few others) and is doing so much better now.

Two yard tap in a one nil win over Bristol Rovers will do nicely.
  • Sponsored links:

• This could really be a turning point for Nicky at Charlton

As long as he doesn't go missing if and when the chips are down. It's easy to put in a shift when things are going well. It's much tougher to do that when nothing is going your way.
  • A really good interview.

The sort of thing that, allied with hard work, makes fans love a player.
  • always liked him, we know he can score at this level, once he gets one I think he'll go on a run
  • Come on Nicky................get your goal tomorrow and you will go into the last games flying.
  • Not too fussed if anyone scores in particular

So long as the eleven work together on the pitch as a unit and not as a bunch of selfish strangers then I'll be happy... From that attitude, enough space will be created chasing lost causes, forcing the opposition into making mistakes. So long as someone scores and takes their chance, that'll be good enough for me
  • I'm enjoying Ajose's renewed work rate but is it me, or has he become Harry Kane (albeit goal free) since his return? Let's hope his upturn continues
  • Yes, much more impressed with his attitude new KR has gone, seems that it was Karl who had the attitude issue.
  • Classic “Player previously frozen out by manager and now in the team under new manager article.”

Top 6 is a priority over him scoring of course, it is nice to hear but any player will say that kind of line and I suspect he will need the odd goal for us to get there.

So keep putting in the effort as that really is the very least we would expect, but knock a few goals in too Nicky.
  • Ajose needs to work off a striker who sets things up in the box and just waiting for things to click with him and Zyro.
  • always liked him, we know he can score at this level, once he gets one I think he'll go on a run

I hope so. I always thought he was treated a little unfairly. Whilst he may not have played that great a lot of the time under Slade, he was still our top scorer. As soon as Robinson came in Ajose was moved to a wide position or dropped completely. He needs to keep up his work rate and he will definitely get a few chances which he will start to bury sooner or later. We saw at Swindon what he could do in this division if his head is right. It would be great to see some of that kind of form from now until the end of the season, he could make a huge difference in the play offs if we get there.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018
    MrLargo said:

Under Robinson, sometimes "the team was picked two or three games in advance".

How is Robinson a professional football manager?! Utterly clueless.

Karel Fraeye-level coach with Alan Pardew-level arrogance.

That’s a bit harsh, he’s not quite as clueless as Karel Fraeye.

It’s not long ago people were writing Ajose off and now people are taking every word he says as gospel. That being said of course saying he has one striker was going to piss Ajose off.

He still needs to prove himself and needs a goal but no doubt he has come back refreshed and with a point to prove.
  • Lot of truth in what he says but he also missed a shed load of good chances under Slade.

But clearly got messed around under Robinson (like a few others) and is doing so much better now.

He got a couple away at Bristol Rovers last season in the 1-5 win.

He got a couple away at Bristol Rovers last season in the 1-5 win.
    Werent tap ins either
  • Someone who got bundled out far too quickly; when you take over as manager of a club (especially in the 3rd tier), surely your job is to utilise the players you have, rather than impose a system that doesn't work for many of them, with the result that they immediately become surplus?
  • Really admire the honesty of that interview. Could see he was gutted to be subbed last week - I hope he gets the winner this weekend.
  • He did achieve what few have achieved though, he did score for Charlton against Millwall , nice goal too. Shows what he could do if you play to his strengths, giving him balls to ground in space to run onto.
  • Ajose | Vetokele | Magennis | Ahearne-Grant -- If we can sign someone to rival Magennis in that target man type role, Striker isnt a position we should have to worry about next season
  • Ajose | Vetokele | Magennis | Ahearne-Grant -- If we can sign someone to rival Magennis in that target man type role, Striker isnt a position we should have to worry about next season

I can't see Igor coming back unfortunately. I think Ajose still needs to show he can do it consistently over a season. When you look at his goalscoring record, it's about 1/4 outside of two good seasons, one at Bury and one at Swindon. His off the ball movement and workrate have been excellent, but it's true he can't really play up front on his own, regardless of what he might think. He likes the freedom to roam, which is fine with two up front, and his hold up play isn't great.

KAG is obviously doing great things in League Two, hopefully he can bring that up to League One.

I'd like us top sign Zyro on a permanent deal if we go up. Can't see us keeping him in League One though.
  • Croydon said:

Ajose | Vetokele | Magennis | Ahearne-Grant -- If we can sign someone to rival Magennis in that target man type role, Striker isnt a position we should have to worry about next season

I'd like us top sign Zyro on a permanent deal if we go up. Can't see us keeping him in League One though.
    Yeah he's the target man I was thinking of myself when I wrote the above.
    SDAddick said:

Ajose | Vetokele | Magennis | Ahearne-Grant -- If we can sign someone to rival Magennis in that target man type role, Striker isnt a position we should have to worry about next season

I can't see Igor coming back unfortunately. I think Ajose still needs to show he can do it consistently over a season. When you look at his goalscoring record, it's about 1/4 outside of two good seasons, one at Bury and one at Swindon. His off the ball movement and workrate have been excellent, but it's true he can't really play up front on his own, regardless of what he might think. He likes the freedom to roam, which is fine with two up front, and his hold up play isn't great.

KAG is obviously doing great things in League Two, hopefully he can bring that up to League One.
    Igor is an interesting case at the moment, if the takeover happens then it'll be a lot harder for STVV to loan him again - Means the only way he'd leave is if the new owners are happy to cancel his Contract, or if a genuine club are willing to buy and pay his wages.

Your right though; Ajose does need to prove he can do it over a season, and whilst KAG should be able to bring his confidence back into League One - Can he do it in the Championship if we get promoted.

Ideally we'll loan him back out and bring back someone like Mavididi for a third time