Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The playoff race

think plymouth are a good as are we , and can see scunthorpe falling away ,
shrewsbury
Rotherham
charlton
plymouth

is my final prediction, keep playing how we are, think we may see charlton win a Wembley final .

Comments

• Can't wait for Wembley.
  • edited March 2018
    Rotherham and Scunthorpe in horrible runs (and indeed, Scunthorpe firing thir manager because of it - how shocking was that ! - 5th in the league and fired) with 4 points from last 6 games and 6 points from last 9 games respectively.
    So, can see the final 3-6 being Shrewsbury,Plymouth,Us,Pboro or Portsmouth. Thus Plymouth in the play offs and Shrewsbury in final.

edit: Scunthorpe have won once in last 13 games.
  • Rotherham instead of Portsmouth.
  • It's not going to be easy, but recent form we should have enough. Crucial win Monday will help, also games against Pompey and Scunny
  • Ideally need to win all the 6 pointers.
  • Yes, win against Rotherham and then the Pompey game starts to look very crucial.
  • As it stands now I think we should be looking to overtake Rotherham - If we win on Monday the difference will be 5 points but we would have a game in hand so it is doable. I think Rotherham have a big enough cushion to stay in the play offs but they are the team I would like to play first in them.
  • Bristol first then Wimbledon these are the to doggie ones I don't like the sound of.4 points a must .
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Blackburn and Wigan for top 2

Shrewsbury to Canter into 3rd as they can't quite stay on in this grand national of a League 1 race.

Rotherham to grab 4th by a nose.

Which leaves 2 places between Scunthorpe, Peterborough, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Charlton.

Scunthorpe can't do the distance, and Portsmouth will be all at sea in the run in.

Perm any 2 from 3 ?
    Being a broken glass type of guy I think Plymouth will grab 5th and Peterborough will finish above CAFC on goal difference.

Plus carrying top weight for most of the way round against Peterborough who have only had the heavy weight for the last furlong.

Watching Charlton for many decades has killed my optimism. I so want Lee Bowyer's belief in reaching the play-offs to come about.

Blackburn
    Wigan
    Shrewsbury
    Rotherham
    Plymouth
    Peterborough
  • Hopefully Blackburn will be already promoted by the time we play them, but not in contention for the title...
  • Porstmouth is toughest
    Scunny by far the easiest running, but they need to pick up
    The rest pretty much the same, going on fixtures my prediction would be:
    Plymouth:12 points = 72
    Scunthorpe:11 points = 71
    Rotherham: 12 = 78
    Peterborough: 9 =67
    Portsmouth: 12 = 67
    Charlton: 16 = 74 (not sure if biased here but a few i could see going either way gave as draws

So playoffs, Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Charlton, Plymouth
  • My predictions:

Plymouth:
    Scunthorpe (A) 1
    Peterborough (H) 3
    Portsmouth (H) 1
    Northampton (A) 3
    Rochdale (A) 1
    Rotherham (H) 3
    Gillingham (A) 1 13 pts (73 pts)

Scunthorpe:
    Plymouth (H) 1
    Wimbledon (A) 1
    Charlton (A) 0
    Walsall (H) 3
    MK Dons (A) 0
    Bradford (H) 3 8 pts (68 pts)

Rotherham:
    Charlton (A) 0
    Fleetwood (H) 1
    Wigan (A) 0
    Gillingam (A) 1
    Bristol Rovers (H) 3
    Plymouth (A) 0
    Blackpool (H) 3 8 pts (74pts)

Peterborough:
    Northampton (H) 3
    Plymouth (A) 1
    Rochdale (H) 3
    Blackburn (A) 0
    Shrewsbury (A) 1
    Fleetwood (H) 3
    Portsmouth (A) 1 12 pts (70 pts)

Portsmouth:
    Walsall (A) 3
    Wigan (H) 0
    Rochdale (A) 1
    Plymouth (A) 1
    Bradford (A) 1
    Charlton (H) 1
    Bury (A) 3
    Peterborough (H) 1 11 pts (66pts)

Charlton:
    Rotherham (H) 3
    Bristol Rovers (A) 3
    Wimbledon (A) 1
    Scunthorpe (H) 3
    Shrewsbury (A) 1
    Portsmouth (A) 1
    Blackburn (H) 1
    Rochdale (A) 3 16 pts (74pts)

So one of the top three, us, Rotherham and Plymouth
  • edited March 2018
    After looking at Moo2's fixture list, i think the 6th spot between PBoro and Pompey will all come down to the last game which happens to be Pompey v PBoro !- so, Pompey for me.

Be fantastic if it was a Charlton v Pompey final - but lets not get carried away !
  • My predictions:

So one of the top three, us, Rotherham and Plymouth

Not far off me with predictions there pal, obviously a few key games in there when all playing each other.
  • While Rotherhams form has dropped off a cliff, I think that they have already secured enough points to claim their place.
    We won't catch Shrewsbury either.

If we replicate our form from our last two games I see it ending like this.

Shrewsbury
    Charlton
    Plymouth
    Rotherham
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope Rotherham get enough points (after Monday) to stay 4th or 5th.
  • One game at a time.

Sweet Jesus.....
  • This promotion chase is actually really exciting, if you look at the table (and ignore who teams are playing for a moment), the teams that have the playoff chase solely in their own hands at the moment are Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Charlton and Plymouth.

But considering we are playing each other so much the other chasers also actually have it in their own hands too, as they can force us four to drop points, rather on relying on others to do so for them.
  • After looking at Moo2's fixture list, i think the 6th spot between PBoro and Pompey will all come down to the last game which happens to be Pompey v PBoro !- so, Pompey for me.

That Peterboro v Pompey fixture on the last day could prove to be a deciding factor.
    It's a crucial game that could also impact on the other teams directly involved.

Not only can they not both win, but a draw might well keep both teams out of the playoff places.

• Imagine how boring this would be pre-playoffs.
  • Oggy Red said:

After looking at Moo2's fixture list, i think the 6th spot between PBoro and Pompey will all come down to the last game which happens to be Pompey v PBoro !- so, Pompey for me.

That Peterboro v Pompey fixture on the last day could prove to be a deciding factor.
    It's a crucial game that could also impact on the other teams directly involved.

Not only can they not both win, but a draw might well keep both teams out of the playoff places.

Rotherham are eight and 11 points in front of Posh and Pompey respectively. With 21 points to play for I think it's highly unlikely either of them will make up the difference.
  • Uboat said:

Imagine how boring this would be pre-playoffs.

Indeed, though if we were in Shrewsbury's position, we'd be pretty upset at the prospect of being beaten in the playoffs by a team 15-20 points behind us in the league!
  • Plymouth:
    Scunthorpe (A) 1
    Peterborough (H) 3
    Portsmouth (H) 1
    Northampton (A) 3
    Rochdale (A) 3
    Rotherham (H) 3
    Gillingham (A) 3
    Total.....77

Scunthorpe:
    Plymouth (H) 1
    Wimbledon (A) 1
    Charlton (A) 0
    Walsall (H) 3
    MK Dons (A) 3
    Bradford (H) 3
    Total.....71

Rotherham:
    Charlton (A) 0
    Fleetwood (H) 3
    Wigan (A) 0
    Gillingam (A) 1
    Bristol Rovers (H) 1
    Plymouth (A) 0
    Blackpool (H) 3
    Total......74

Peterborough:
    Northampton (H) 3
    Plymouth (A) 0
    Rochdale (H) 3
    Blackburn (A) 0
    Shrewsbury (A) 0
    Fleetwood (H) 3
    Portsmouth (A) 0
    Total.....67

Portsmouth:
    Walsall (A) 3
    Wigan (H) 0
    Rochdale (A) 1
    Plymouth (A) 0
    Bradford (A) 1
    Charlton (H) 1
    Bury (A) 3
    Peterborough (H) 3
    Total.....67

Charlton:
    Rotherham (H) 3
    Bristol Rovers (A) 1
    Wimbledon (A) 3
    Scunthorpe (H) 3
    Shrewsbury (A) 0
    Portsmouth (A) 1
    Blackburn (H) 3
    Rochdale (A) 3
    Total .....75

So, after doing individual games, i have changed my mind, and now have the 4-6 as...

Plymouth
    Charlton
    Rotherham
  • edited March 2018
    PopIcon said:

Oggy Red said:

Rotherham are eight and 11 points in front of Posh and Pompey respectively. With 21 points to play for I think it's highly unlikely either of them will make up the difference.
    Maybe not.

But my point was that, because they play each other on the last day, a draw might deny both teams a play off place.

A long way to go before then, "plenty of twists & turns" (hope you like worn out cliches :smile: )