Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Grimsby on a cold Tuesday night?
  • Afghans certainly have limited holiday opportunities!!
  • bobmunro said:

Afghans certainly have limited holiday opportunities!!

a huge number seem to go where they please without needing a passport
    A bit like the Germans used to be.
  • Just in a slightly different way, with a slightly different long term plan !
  • IdleHans said:

bobmunro said:

Afghans certainly have limited holiday opportunities!!

a huge number seem to go where they please without needing a passport
    A bit like the Germans used to be.
    the irony being that now Germans are the most welcome visitors worldwide
  • Thought the U.S. would be the least welcoming.
  • Anyone had any experience travelling with less than 6 months left on their passport? Issues encountered, etc?

Passport expires early to mid May. Just got back from the US (using ESTA) without any issues and off to Mexico in just over two weeks. Everything I've read, says as long as my travel dates are within the passport validity then I'm all good. Everything also says it's best to have at least 6 months left. I figure if US immigration is fine and I have the appropriate immigration form, then Mexico should be too?
  • Perhaps that six months is to allow you to get a really bad dose of Montezuma's revenge and have the time to recover without being kicked out 'cos your passport's expired?
  • cafcpolo said:

Anyone had any experience travelling with less than 6 months left on their passport? Issues encountered, etc?

Passport expires early to mid May. Just got back from the US (using ESTA) without any issues and off to Mexico in just over two weeks. Everything I've read, says as long as my travel dates are within the passport validity then I'm all good. Everything also says it's best to have at least 6 months left. I figure if US immigration is fine and I have the appropriate immigration form, then Mexico should be too?

If you have time, you should get a new passport now; they normally include any unused time in a renewal, so the new passport would be valid until May 2028 (if you get a ten yearer). Otherwise, you do risk being turned back at the airport.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Pedro45 said:

cafcpolo said:

Anyone had any experience travelling with less than 6 months left on their passport? Issues encountered, etc?

If you have time, you should get a new passport now; they normally include any unused time in a renewal, so the new passport would be valid until May 2028 (if you get a ten yearer). Otherwise, you do risk being turned back at the airport.
    This^. Do it online, did mine last year with up to date photo using iPad, took about 7 to 10 days for new passport to arrive and was a piece of cake.

• https://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/mexico-essentials/mexico-entry-requirements/

Passport Validity
    The maximum period of time that a visitor may stay in Mexico without a formal visa is six months. Therefore your passport, regardless of country of origin, should be valid for a minimum period of six months, however long you intend to stay to avoid any potential problems at the port of entry.

Immigration authorities at the port of entry may allow or deny entry of any person into Mexico. If you have a passport that is valid for less than six months and you intend to stay in Mexico for a short period of time—perhaps a vacation—the Immigration Officer might allow you entry.

Notwithstanding this, we recommend that you and your family members hold passports valid for at least six months from the date you plan to enter Mexico.
  • edited March 2018
    I renewed my passport on line on the Monday and new passport arrived on the Friday. 5 days ain’t a bad service and excellent communication throughout the process letting you know receipt of old passport, when the application had been processed and when the passport will be derived by courier.
  • cafcpolo said:

Thailand are super strict about it, a small bribe made it a non issue in Cambodia.

My parents were recently refused onto flights to Egypt as their passports had 5.5 months left, I'd check with your airline.

Can't you get same day passports in the UK?
  • Where is @Lincsaddick these days???
  • edited March 2018

Where is @Lincsaddick these days???

@i_b_b_o_r_g I spoke briefly to him at Blackburn away in December, said he was ok and taking a time out. AFKA had been in touch with him as well. He'll be back when he's ready.
  • cafcpolo said:

You should be fine but but the final decision is out of your hands so personally wouldn't risk it.

It's been said already but you can renew on-line and even submit a picture from your smart phone. My Sister is travelling to Australia for a year and needed to renew her passport for her visa application. It took 4 days to get the new one back and she didn't pay for an express service.
  • RedChaser said:

Spoke briefly to him at Blackburn away in December, said he was ok and taking a time out. AFKA had been in touch with him as well. He'll be back when he's ready.
    Tell him I said hello please Red mate
  • RedChaser said:

Spoke briefly to him at Blackburn away in December, said he was ok and taking a time out. AFKA had been in touch with him as well. He'll be back when he's ready.
    Tell him I said hello please Red mate
    Will do next time I bump into him, he still looks in from time to time and last logged on at the end of January.
  • Solidgone said:

I renewed my passport on line on the Monday and new passport arrived on the Friday. 5 days ain’t a bad service and excellent communication throughout the process letting you know receipt of old passport, when the application had been processed and when the passport will be derived by courier.

Was this recently?

Have taken the plunge and renewed, fingers crossed for a speedy turnaround!
  • Sponsored links:

• Where is @Lincsaddick these days???

Stamford
  • edited March 2018
    cafcpolo said:

Solidgone said:

Was this recently?

Have taken the plunge and renewed, fingers crossed for a speedy turnaround!
    #cafcpolo Yes - uploaded photo, paid the money, returned passport by registered delivery all on the Monday and courier arrived with new passport on Friday (I'm not sure now when my old passport was returned - I think it was on the Thursday). Their SMS kept you informed at every step of the process which reduces any anxiety. But I guess it does depend on whether you've followed the instructions and application is error free.
  • Renewing online isn't always plain sailing.

Last month I tried to renew both mine and my husband's passports online. I uploaded photos taken on my phone and both were accepted via the online checks.

My new passport was received within a week, but the photo of my husband wasn't accepted and despite several more attempts they still said it didn't conform to the regulations.

Last Saturday my husband went to a photo booth and got a code to enter on the passport application. I tried every day to get the passport office to accept the code, but each time was told it wasn't retrievable. I phoned the photo booth company on Saturday and they said it takes 24 hours to upload.

This morning I tried again and it was finally accepted.
  • If you renew on line how is the photo verified?
  • edited March 2018
    iainment said:

If you renew on line how is the photo verified?

It has to bear a close resemblance to your previous photo. If they are not satisfied then you have to revert to the manual certified true likeness option. Also I would think they have access to the Driving License data base. You will also be expected to print and post declaration paperwork. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/01/photos-taken-on-your-phone-accepted-for-online-passport-renewals---but-dont-send-selfies
  • iainment said:

My husband's photo failed due to shadows on the background.
  • RedChaser said:

iainment said:

It has to bear a close resemblance to your previous photo. If they are not satisfied then you have to revert to the manual certified true likeness option. Also I would think they have access to the Driving License data base. You will also be expected to print and post declaration paperwork. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/01/photos-taken-on-your-phone-accepted-for-online-passport-renewals---but-dont-send-selfies
    Thanks.
  • iainment said:

My husband's photo failed due to shadows on the background.
    Was he outside?
  • Interesting about the photo problem. Apparently there is a problem that we with non coloured hair silver grey or white. Being in this category my photo snap taken from my phone was not accepted by the online photo process. I went to happy snappy for a passport snap but even their snap wasn't acceptable. They said it was a known problem but sorted it out by using Photoshop to ensure there was a contrast between my hair and the background. Not sure whether I noticed the difference but it worked.
    I don't think photo shop is an allowable workaround but the online process is in It's infancy unlike my Barnet.