Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Cup replays

This age old arguement has surfaced again, should replays be scraped.

Personally I think they should.

Shrewsbury v West Ham is a good example for me, had it gone to extra time and pens, I think Shrewsbury would have won.
But it went to a replay and West Ham won.

I have seen a few reporters tonight say that a draw and a replay is better for newport than winning, now I understand that financially, but surely the players dont think like that.

Comments

• This age old arguement has surfaced again, should replays be scraped.

Shrewsbury v West Ham is a good example for me, had it gone to extra time and pens, I think Shrewsbury would have won.

I have seen a few reporters tonight say that a draw and a replay is better for newport than winning, now I understand that financially, but surely the players dont think like that.

why not just have a toss of a coin & do away with the game altogether.

• Get rid of replays. They're not needed any more. Less so than black cab drivers and it seems most on here are of the 'fuck em' mentality.

Same goes for replays.
  • May aswell scrap football League and non league teams too in the FA Cup than as they never win it.

What would Newport player and supporters rather have an away trip to Spurs regardless of it being at Wembley or White hart lane or getting someone like Wigan in the next round only to lose.
  • Nicholas said:

May aswell scrap football League and non league teams too in the FA Cup than as they never win it.

What would Newport player and supporters rather have an away trip to Spurs regardless of it being at Wembley or White hart lane or getting someone like Wigan in the next round only to lose.

So Newport last night winning 1-0 80 minutes comes and the players think we would rather have a replay.
    Up pops Harry Kane with a goal.

I am not saying thats what happened, but if you are saying they would rather have a replay, they could have let tottenham score, which is then not in the spirit of the game.
  • Nicholas said:

May aswell scrap football League and non league teams too in the FA Cup than as they never win it.

So Newport last night winning 1-0 80 minutes comes and the players think we would rather have a replay.

I am not saying thats what happened, but if you are saying they would rather have a replay, they could have let tottenham score, which is then not in the spirit of the game.
    their manager and their goalscorer both on radio today saying they were disappointed that they let Spurs equalise.

No one is saying they'd RATHER have a replay just that a replay was still a good result for them.

They would rather have won and then maybe got a big team in the next round as they did when they beat Leeds in round 3.

• Nicholas said:

their manager and their goalscorer both on radio today saying they were disappointed that they let Spurs equalise.

No one is saying they'd RATHER have a replay just that a replay was still a good result for them.

They would rather have won and then maybe got a big team in the next round as they did when they beat Leeds in round 3.

The messgae i quoted said they would rather have a replay then lose to Wigan in next round
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to love it when teams drew three or four times and had to play a fourth or fifth replay.

Always remember Welling going to a third replay with Reading back in the late 80s before losing
  • Nicholas said:

The messgae i quoted said they would rather have a replay then lose to Wigan in next round
    Which message?

• This age old arguement has surfaced again, should replays be scraped.

why not just have a toss of a coin & do away with the game altogether.

That’s just stupid golfaddick you really must think it through, if it was a toss of a coin, the elf and safety would be called in, after all dont forget a bad tosser could take your eye out with a coin. Surely the first one drawn out should go through with the 2nd one being eliminated. Just think of the advantages, no standing in the rain, no players getting an injury, no VAR to argue about, no elf and safety issues, no replays, instant TV appeal.
  • Nicholas said:

Which message?

The post above from nicolas
  • With clubs playing weakened teams these days I say scrap replays and increase the chance of a shock.
  • Nicholas said:

Which message?

The post above from nicolas
    So do you take what Nicholas said or the Newport manager and players said?
  • Us and shefield utd, repayed was it 3 Times in the early 70's? Higher division
    than us at the time, in league cup.
  • Over 200k in total saw Charlton play Villa over one game and two replays at Villa Park and Highbury.

75031 at the first game at the Valley.
  • I remember Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday playing four replays back in the 70s.

• Likewise Arsenal went to 3 replays v Liverpool in the 79/80 semi-final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Over 200k in total saw Charlton play Villa over one game and two replays at Villa Park and Highbury.

Is that a record aggregate attendance for a cup game ?
  • I'm for keeping them although they're a pain in the bum when you draw 0-0 with MK Dons and have to play a replay at their soulless bowl in front of a couple of thousand, and then lose.

But ask any Newport fan or player if replays are a good idea... even the Shrewsbury example given in the first post, both fans and players would've been delighted with that replay.
  • I'm for keeping them although they're a pain in the bum when you draw 0-0 with MK Dons and have to play a replay at their soulless bowl in front of a couple of thousand, and then lose.

But ask any Newport fan or player if replays are a good idea... even the Shrewsbury example given in the first post, both fans and players would've been delighted with that replay.

Shrewsbury manager was gutted when interviewed after the first game, and said that was their chance to progress and it was unlikely they'd win away at West Ham
  • MrOneLung said:

Over 200k in total saw Charlton play Villa over one game and two replays at Villa Park and Highbury.

Is that a record aggregate attendance for a cup game ?
    Believe so