Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football is now a farce

Liverpool v W Brom.
The day I fell out of love with the game.

Comments

• Care to elaborate?
  • Cricket decisions are definitive. Football ones aren't.

?
  • Sponsored links:

• Only thing I didnt like about the penalty was it did seem forced from the players - i.e. When games have VAR there does seem to be a return to the crowding of the ref!!

I liked what Kevin Nolan (Footballer) had to say the other day, its the Managers who get given a flag and can indicate if they want something to be looked at (they do this by using the flag they're given)... If correct they keep their flag for the time being, if not they lose it for the rest of the game.
  • Cricket decisions are definitive. Football ones aren't.

?
    Perhaps more subjectivity in football is the meaning
  • Sampdoria v Roma had a dodgy decision on Wednesday. The ref missed a Roma handball and play was stopped and called back for a penalty about 30 seconds later. Roma players were rightly annoyed and were pointing out perhaps you'd like to go back another 15 seconds for the foul on our player. So when or where should the deadline be?

Overall though I like it. I'm not watching the FA Cup games but it's been a positive addition to German and Italian matches this season. The commentators on BT do a good job as well, far better than any punditry on BBC.
  • We've had well over years of various poor levels of refereeing then VAR arrives, isn't flawless on day one and there's all this melodramatic overreaction.

Exactly.

Don't just dump it if it's not a hit straight away.
  • Cricket is a game of pauses anyway. Between each delivery, between each over etc there are periods of literal dead time, and it's not like football where you can take a quick throw or freekick, you have to wait until the opposition is ready. The pauses for DRS are just increasing the length of existing pauses, ditto the hawkeye checks in tennis.

And...?
  • We've had well over years of various poor levels of refereeing then VAR arrives, isn't flawless on day one and there's all this melodramatic overreaction.

Great post Andy.
  • Would like to point out its a damned good game to watch... West Brom are transformed from their League form
  • Just takes away all the spontaneity and the ref's authority.
  • Sponsored links:

• The teams don't call for it -- the refs do.
  • Cricket is a game of pauses anyway. Between each delivery, between each over etc there are periods of literal dead time, and it's not like football where you can take a quick throw or freekick, you have to wait until the opposition is ready. The pauses for DRS are just increasing the length of existing pauses, ditto the hawkeye checks in tennis.

And...?
    It feels more natural in those other sports.

Cricket and tennis uses technology to make factual decisions too, whereas football ones are often more subjective. When players dive to get a penalty, they usually have been touched/fouled in some minute way, but how much of a touch justifies a penalty?
  • edited January 2018
    RedPanda said:

Sampdoria v Roma had a dodgy decision on Wednesday. The ref missed a Roma handball and play was stopped and called back for a penalty about 30 seconds later. Roma players were rightly annoyed and were pointing out perhaps you'd like to go back another 15 seconds for the foul on our player. So when or where should the deadline be?

Overall though I like it. I'm not watching the FA Cup games but it's been a positive addition to German and Italian matches this season. The commentators on BT do a good job as well, far better than any punditry on BBC.

Agreed. Been largely used well in Germany. Something they do that I don't think is being done in Britain is stopping the play (or waiting until a stopping point), then having the official go over and review the footage. I think that helps fans to understand what is going on, and quells the risk that something significant can happen in the time a play is being reviewed.

There were complaints when video replay was brought in in American football as well. Obviously a different sport with more natural pauses (too many if you ask me), but I think you'd struggle to find a fan who wants to get rid of it now.

Given how the rollout with goal line technology and fifth officials went, I expect it'll be another decade before pundits understand what's going on.

But on goal line technology, my mates and I were watching the US Women's team the other day (US women's footy is a big deal here), and they didn't have goal line technology in a friendly and it felt really odd when a contentious decision came up. I had to explain to my friends that GT was only like five years old and still not universally deployed. It now seems crazy to think of a time when GT was banned (thanks Sepp).
  • Have a retired referee say from 50 to 60 to do the VAR who can make the call after two views of the incidents which would stop the referee running over to the screen. This would speed up the process. 3 VAR and 3 correct decisions despite the Tom Daley dive by Salah.

And...?
    It feels more natural in those other sports.

Cricket and tennis uses technology to make factual decisions too, whereas football ones are often more subjective. When players dive to get a penalty, they usually have been touched/fouled in some minute way, but how much of a touch justifies a penalty?
    We clearly need The Touchometer.
    Zaha has a vested interest in the design of this and is the lead tester.
  • edited January 2018
    Solidgone said:

I thought it would take away all the moaning but after reading this it reaffirms folk love to moan.

This. I'm actually not hugely in favor of VAR because as it stands I find the moaning about referees in the Prem unbearable, and I fear the whinging about VAR will be even worse.