Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimmy Armfield.

RIP, always liked listening to him on R5L.

Comments

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-42775098

Very sad news.

Always came over as a real football man who just loved the game.

• Ah, what a shame. A proper, proper, football man.

RIP Jimmy.
  • Very sad news. RIP.
  • RIP, a genuine football legend. There will be a sad atmosphere at the game on Saturday
  • Have nothing but good memories of listening to this guy. RIP. And yeah, we're next up for Blackpool...there will surely be a huge tribute
  • RIP. Great man.
  • RIP
    Legendary football man.
  • RIP proper football legend
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad. Loved listening to Jimmy.

Here is my post from August, not sure if the program is still available but sure to be repeated soon.

"Not many on here would have seen Jimmy Armfield play but all true football fans will know the name and particularly the voice as he's been summerisering on BBC Radio Sport since 1979. On Radio5Live tonight was a wonderful interview with the great man. Just listening to him talk about how he unluckily missed out on not only playing in the '66 World Cup but also being the winning captain is so heartwarming due to it's lack of bitterness and overriding humility.
    He picked up the pieces after Clough's infamous 44 days at Leeds and appointed the two best England managers since Sir Alf.
    I urge you to listen.
    "
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092jsj1
  • Voice of football for me. RIP
  • One of THE names in British football. RIP
  • RIP Jimmy, Great player could listen to him talking about football on the radio.
    A lovely man
  • This is sad, I loved him on 5live obviously he was massively before my time but just listening to him talk football and how he saw football warmed me

rest in peace Mr Armfield
  • RIP - before my time but a very very good co-commentator
  • RIP - colleague and good friend of my Dad's. A really lovely bloke
  • Way too young to have ever seen him play but like many know him from is radio broadcasts, a friendly, knowledgeable yet humble voice. RIP sir.
  • Sponsored links:

• How very sad. I truly loved listening to Jimmy. I’m very upset this news.
  • RIP, a genuine football legend. There will be a sad atmosphere at the game on Saturday

RIP - Agreed... Its a shame really that the Oysten's are still around as a packed Bloomfield Road to pay tribute to him would be a perfect send off!!
  • Such sad news that another one from the '66 squad has passed on. As others have said he always came across as someone who was still in love with the game after all those years and seemed to have always been part of my own match day experience.

Sadly missed.
  • Very sad news , RIP Jimmy
  • RIP Jimmy, a proper football man.
  • RIP - a great football man who talked an enormous amount of sense.

I saw him play at the Valley at the end of his career in, I think, November 1968. It ended 0-0 on a freezing, bone-hard pitch.

A great shame that he didn’t live to see the Oystons out of the club but, like Roland, their time is nearly up.
  • Lucky enough to have seen him play. A great football broadcaster. Will be missed.
  • RIP a true football man very knowledgable and spoke without any rancour.
  • RIP to a sporting great.