Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• bobmunro said:

MrLargo said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42689053

Lambert to Stoke. Reasonable appointment - did okay at Wolves, Blackburn and Villa despite boardroom dramas and mismanagement in the background.

Just read his Wikipedia page, didn't realise he was Wycombe manager when the knocked us out of the League Cup.

Go tell that to the delusional Stoke fans!!

Can you believe they are talking about protests and that Coates must go?
    Sensibly run club, and Peter Coates is a good chairman. Short memories up there it would seem. No guarantees that Lambert will keep them up, but I'm not sure who they think they're entitled to get. Not massively exciting, but nor was David Moyes going to West Ham.
  • MrLargo said:

Lambert to Stoke. Reasonable appointment - did okay at Wolves, Blackburn and Villa despite boardroom dramas and mismanagement in the background.

Just read his Wikipedia page, didn't realise he was Wycombe manager when the knocked us out of the League Cup.

You sure about that?
  • MrLargo said:

You sure about that?
    Nope, not sure about it, but I think he's an okay manager. We'll see.

Like many, I was pissing myself with laughter when West Ham brought Moyes in - he's done a cracking job so far. Maybe Lambert will as well.
  • MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

You sure about that?
    Nope, not sure about it, but I think he's an okay manager. We'll see.

Like many, I was pissing myself with laughter when West Ham brought Moyes in - he's done a cracking job so far. Maybe Lambert will as well.
    Fair point.

• Stoke just 1 point behind safety and 16 games to play.
    Well within reach above them, are 7 teams separated by only 5 points.

It's nowhere near a lost cause.

• MrLargo said:

bobmunro said:

MrLargo said:

Sensibly run club, and Peter Coates is a good chairman. Short memories up there it would seem. No guarantees that Lambert will keep them up, but I'm not sure who they think they're entitled to get. Not massively exciting, but nor was David Moyes going to West Ham.
    Really like what Stoke have done and how they've done it. They passed us on the way up/ down and managed to stick it out for longer than we did.

The Lambert appointment is bizarre to me, but Coates can see something in it so hopefully he hasn't messed up. Certainly, the idea of protesting against him is utterly disgraceful, and I bet the hardcore City fans are not a part of that.
  • Lambert certainly isn't the sort of inspirational appointment that will immediately give the place a lift. Did really well at Norwich, but his career since then has been fairly average

Every time a PL club sacks their manager and appoints someone else I think "Chris Coleman could have got that job" if he had waited a bit longer!
  • Oggy Red said:

Stoke just 1 point behind safety and 16 games to play.

Players will come in over the next two weeks and I expect they will pick up enough points to survive.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Oggy Red said:

Players will come in over the next two weeks and I expect they will pick up enough points to survive.
    The same will apply for to all the clubs around them. I imagine a LOT of money will be spent this window
  • MrLargo said:

JiMMy 85 said:

MrLargo said:

bobmunro said:

MrLargo said:

Certainly, the idea of protesting against him is utterly disgraceful, and I bet the hardcore City fans are not a part of that.
    Part and parcel of getting in the Premier League and picking up a load of new support that doesn't have any appreciation or understanding of what an achievement it was to get there and what an achievement it is to have stayed there for so long.

Never met any Charlton supporters who wanted Curbs out, but someone was phoning up Talksport promoting that narrative, hence Bill Curbishley felt the need to phone in and defend his brother. I suspect they were amongst the last to jump on our Premier League bandwagon and the first to jump off.

My Palace mate has been moaning for a couple of years about the attitude of some of the idiots they've picked up, although obviously I pointed out that Selhurst has always been populated by idiots, there's just more of them now.
    That was me I'm afraid. Never said that I wanted him to go, but he had gone a bit stale & I think it was after we had played Wigan away, lost 3-0, and we played with just 1 up front.

So you all know who to blame & I wish I had a pound for every time someone says that Curbs had taken us as far as he could & we wanted someone who could take us to the next level. That was bollox. We were never going to break into the top 4 (as it was then) and secure a European place, but thought after 6 years in the Prem we could do better than trying to grind out a 0-0 away to Wigan, who were in their first ever season in the Prem.
  • MrLargo said:

JiMMy 85 said:

MrLargo said:

bobmunro said:

MrLargo said:

Certainly, the idea of protesting against him is utterly disgraceful, and I bet the hardcore City fans are not a part of that.
    Part and parcel of getting in the Premier League and picking up a load of new support that doesn't have any appreciation or understanding of what an achievement it was to get there and what an achievement it is to have stayed there for so long.

Never met any Charlton supporters who wanted Curbs out, but someone was phoning up Talksport promoting that narrative, hence Bill Curbishley felt the need to phone in and defend his brother. I suspect they were amongst the last to jump on our Premier League bandwagon and the first to jump off.

My Palace mate has been moaning for a couple of years about the attitude of some of the idiots they've picked up, although obviously I pointed out that Selhurst has always been populated by idiots, there's just more of them now.
    That was me I'm afraid. Never said that I wanted him to go, but he had gone a bit stale & I think it was after we had played Wigan away, lost 3-0, and we played with just 1 up front.

So you all know who to blame & I wish I had a pound for every time someone says that Curbs had taken us as far as he could & we wanted someone who could take us to the next level. That was bollox. We were never going to break into the top 4 (as it was then) and secure a European place, but thought after 6 years in the Prem we could do better than trying to grind out a 0-0 away to Wigan, who were in their first ever season in the Prem.
    Ha, well at least you've admitted it! Top 4 was a closed shop then, and now I'd say the top 6 is. I wish Murray had given Curbs that £12million to spend instead of saving it up for Dowie to squander.

• bobmunro said:

Oggy Red said:

The same will apply for to all the clubs around them. I imagine a LOT of money will be spent this window
    Agreed - it will be tight (and expensive).

• Mark McGhee replaced by Graham Westley at Barnet. McGhee stepping up to technical director.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Mark McGhee replaced by Graham Westley at Barnet. McGhee stepping up to technical director.

Why would Barnet need a director of football? i hope this doesn't mean he'll have some spare time that needs filling....
  • Westley has had a few jobs since a relatively good spell at Stevenage.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Mark McGhee replaced by Graham Westley at Barnet. McGhee stepping up to technical director.

Westley makes more sense than McGhee as manager at that level. Can't see why Barnet need a technical director
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Lambert did not "do okay at Wolves." He did so not okay that he lasted less than a season and since he left they are the best team in The Championship. He is the type who gets a bounce wherever he goes though, and I think Stoke owners just want that because a bounce might be enough to keep them up before his terribly boring negative football gets found out.
  • Lambert did not "do okay at Wolves." He did so not okay that he lasted less than a season and since he left they are the best team in The Championship. He is the type who gets a bounce wherever he goes though, and I think Stoke owners just want that because a bounce might be enough to keep them up before his terribly boring negative football gets found out.

Since he left Wolves they got mega rich owners.
  • Lambert did not "do okay at Wolves." He did so not okay that he lasted less than a season and since he left they are the best team in The Championship. He is the type who gets a bounce wherever he goes though, and I think Stoke owners just want that because a bounce might be enough to keep them up before his terribly boring negative football gets found out.

Lambert was actually appointed by the Chinese owners, but in more of a fire fighting role as under Zenga they had really struggled, the classic "we're in the sh*t, quick get in a safe pair of hands who knows the league"

With that achieved I guess they went for someone more exciting for this season
  • edited January 2018

Lambert did not "do okay at Wolves." He did so not okay that he lasted less than a season and since he left they are the best team in The Championship. He is the type who gets a bounce wherever he goes though, and I think Stoke owners just want that because a bounce might be enough to keep them up before his terribly boring negative football gets found out.

Lambert was actually appointed by the Chinese owners, but in more of a fire fighting role as under Zenga they had really struggled, the classic "we're in the sh*t, quick get in a safe pair of hands who knows the league"

Correct. Lambert was FOSUN's second managerial appointment. But he did not fare much better than Zenga. Zenga averaged 1.2 points per match and Lambert just 1.4. Last year, CAFC averaged 1.3, by comparison. So it was not pretty under Lambert. The main reason he was let go was because agents were simply not willing to send good players out to Wolverhampton with Lambert there and if the owners wanted to ever get the club promoted, they needed someone with credibility beyond central England. This has worked out in spades. So has spending more money the last 12 months on net transfers than half the Premier League teams.

Correct. Lambert was FOSUN's second managerial appointment. But he did not fare much better than Zenga. Zenga averaged 1.2 points per match and Lambert just 1.4. Last year, CAFC averaged 1.3, by comparison. So it was not pretty under Lambert. The main reason he was let go was because agents were simply not willing to send good players out to Wolverhampton with Lambert there and if the owners wanted to ever get the club promoted, they needed someone with international contacts. This has worked out in spades. So has spending more money the last 12 months on net transfers than half the Premier League teams.
    Many years ago Middlesbrough brought in many big names after they replaced Lennie Lawrence with Bryan Robson. It was unlucky on Lennie who had done a good job, but the star names would probably not have signed for Boro without a big name as manager
  • MrLargo said:

They spent £27m last summer. That might go some way to explaining why they're fairing a bit better this season.

I just said that.

But the key is that with Lambert at the helm, they could not have spent that money. Players care about where they play and live. Frankly, who wants to live in Wolverhampton? Not £10M players. If they do, they want to play for someone they can feel affinity to. And that ain't Lambert. Add in that he was the worst interview I've ever seen in pre and post game news conferences for them and I think he does not engender positivity wherever he is. Since he also plays negative football, this makes sense.

I know plenty of Wolves fans. None of them thinks Lambert was a success. Certainly no one misses him there. Having 4 jobs in 3.5 years tells me no recent club has bent over backwards to keep him, either. There is probably a reason for that.

I will say though that he does have a history of "bounces." Teams always get better for 4-6 matches after his arrival, probably because he sorts out their defense a bit. But every time, it wears off and then everyone gets weary... of him.

My guess is he will be sacked within 12 months. If not sooner.
  • MrLargo said:

Took over a team in 19th facing a relegation battle and steered them to 15th and safety, as well as managing an FA Cup victory at Anfield. I'd say that's reasonable, nothing more, nothing less.

They spent £27m last summer. That might go some way to explaining why they're fairing a bit better this season.
    Exactly. Where would Wolves have finished if Lambert had spent £27M ?
  • MrLargo said:

I just said that.

But the key is that with Lambert at the helm, they could not have spent that money. Players care about where they play and live. Frankly, who wants to live in Wolverhampton? Not £10M players. If they do, they want to play for someone they can feel affinity to. And that ain't Lambert. Add in that he was the worst interview I've ever seen in pre and post game news conferences for them and I think he does not engender positivity wherever he is. Since he also plays negative football, this makes sense.

I know plenty of Wolves fans. None of them thinks Lambert was a success. Certainly no one misses him there. Having 4 jobs in 3.5 years tells me no recent club has bent over backwards to keep him, either. There is probably a reason for that.

I will say though that he does have a history of "bounces." Teams always get better for 4-6 matches after his arrival, probably because he sorts out their defense a bit. But every time, it wears off and then everyone gets weary... of him.

My guess is he will be sacked within 12 months. If not sooner.
    You know plenty of Wolves fans ?
  • Lambert is a good manager. End of.