Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup Draw

A bit early I know, but this is where we are. UEFA nations are the only ones who can draw each other in the first round, so we'll get Brazil, Argentina or one of three European countries. Russia are obviously the weakest seeds.
A group of death could be Brazil, Spain, Iceland, Nigeria. However, Russia, Switzerland, Senegal, Saudi Arabia (or New Zealand etc) would be less intimidating.
The draw is on 1st December.

Comments

• i cant see it can you zoom in any more?

It looks beautiful on my phone, but apologies if I have 'gone large' on yours.
  • Poland, England, Iran, Panama
  • Argentina, England, Costa Rica and Saudi Arabia.

Planning to go out for at least one group match, so I am hoping we have at least one decent match.
  • argentina in moscow would be akin to morocco in marseille.

giving this one a miss unless we get semis or final then id be out there.
  • edited November 2017
    What would be ideal is for England to win their Group of: Russia | Iran | Panama which'll make up Group A ...

then for the other Group winners to be the following:

Group B .. Germany
    Group C .. Poland
    Group D .. Brazil
    Group E .. Belgium
    Group F .. Argentina
    Group G .. Portugal
    Group H .. France

Going by the knockout stages we'd then have: Poland | Belgium | Portugal in our half of the draw with the rest all going into the bottom half meaning we'd avoid them until the final (Portugal we'd only face in the Semis at best)
  • So we can't get Spain or Italy (if they qualify), which is good.
  • Pedro45 said:

So we can't get Spain or Italy (if they qualify), which is good.

Not in the Group Stages no
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

We could end up in a group of death - Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia!

Nope we couldnt... Iran and Saudi Arabia are both Asian teams so cant be in the same Group (Shame really)
  • Stop worrying about who we might draw. Whoever it is will stop us getting out of the group in any event.
  • Stop worrying about who we might draw. Whoever it is will stop us getting out of the group in any event.

History would tell us otherwise (it's the next stage where we get rolled over by a team of third division players from a country with a lower population than Coventry...).
  • Either way the quality of teams seem to be the highest ever.
  • does anyone know what time it is on the 1st December?
  • Starts at 4pm our time
  • Shag said:

Starts at 4pm our time

I don't think it's been confirmed yet, what time the draw will take place.
    The opening game does kick off at 4pm (BST).
  • The programming of the draw has been confirmed to begin at 3PM. However, I have read that they won't start doing the draw until 4PM.

Hope that helps.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017

The programming of the draw has been confirmed to begin at 3PM. However, I have read that they won't start doing the draw until 4PM.

Hope that helps.

Link?

EDIT: You're spot on.
    https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/talksport.com/football/world-cup-2018-draw-who-each-pot-171116262191?amp
  • edited November 2017
    Danepak said:

Shag said:

Starts at 4pm our time

I don't think it's been confirmed yet, what time the draw will take place.
    The opening game does kick off at 4pm (BST).
    MOTD Live: World Cup 2018 Draw

Live coverage of the World Cup draw from the State Kremlin Palace in Moscow, Russia.

England manager Gareth Southgate will be hoping for a more favourable draw than Roy Hodgson received in 2014. The Three Lions ended up in Group D with Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica and subsequently failed to qualify for the knockout stage.

Friday 1 December

3.15pm-4.30pm

BBC TWO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/search?medium=tv&channel=&yearweek=201748&day=7
  • Hmm the way FIFA work I'd be surprised if everything is done by 4:30pm!!
  • Worst for England would probably be:
    Brazil
    England
    Sweden
    Serbia

There are a lot of teams in pots 3 and 4 that would cause England problems. I'm going with Sweden because their performance against Italy the other night is exactly the type that England struggle against, and Serbia because I think they could be a real sleeper in pot 4.

Best would probably be:
    Poland
    England
    Iran
    Panama
  • edited November 2017
    Three European teams in the same group ?
  • Russia would be easier than Poland imo
  • SDAddick said:

Worst for England would probably be:
    Brazil
    England
    Sweden
    Serbia

There are a lot of teams in pots 3 and 4 that would cause England problems. I'm going with Sweden because their performance against Italy the other night is exactly the type that England struggle against, and Serbia because I think they could be a real sleeper in pot 4.

Best would probably be:
    Poland
    England
    Iran
    Panama

Cant happen
  • Peru looked decent in the games I’ve seen. Fortunately they are also seeded in Pot 2 so we can’t draw them.
  • edited November 2017

Russia would be easier than Poland imo

Poland are a much better football side than Russia.

However it's a lot easier to play 11 men than it is 12 , which I fear will be the case this World Cup in Russia's games