Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Fulham U21 - Match Thread

Charlton Athletic v Fulham U21
Wednesday 1st November 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Craig Hicks

Introduction

With our next League fixture against Shrewsbury likely to be cancelled, it now appears as though the Addicks wont be playing in League One for a good number weeks… Tomorrow evening sees the Addicks returning to cup action for what could potentially see the first of four cup matches on the trot. Prior to the hosting of Truro City on Sunday; Charlton must get through a Football League Trophy encounter with a Fulham U21 side.

The Opposition
Name: Fulham U21 | Manager: Peter Grant
Division: Premier League 2

When changes were made to the Football League Trophy last season there was much fuss when Academy Squads were invited into the competition, a decision which angered many fans further when certain clubs declined the invitation and Championship Academies were forced to be added to increase numbers… When those changes were again reviewed this summer it was a surprise to many that the Academy sides returned, yet here we are, facing the second team in the Group stage.

Last term; Fulham weren’t offered a place in this competition and have no doubt been included this term to replace the likes of Blackburn Rovers our opponents this Wednesday (like other Academies) havent found it the easiest of rides… a 3-3 draw with Portsmouth in their first game saw them win the proceeding penalty shoot out and so gained a bonus point from that win – Victory though for the home side tomorrow evening will see Charlton advancing to the next round leaving Fulham on the brick of being able to return to more serious matters.

Yet who will run out for Fulham I hear you ask? (No?) – Oh well I’ll tell you anyway… Going by their last result; Fulham are likely to field a relatively young squad with Stephen Sessagnon making a potential appearance after winning the U17 World Cup with England on Saturday, likely to be a star of the future, he’ll certainly be one to watch should he have recovered from his adventures in India

Charlton Team News
The hardest part when writing the Preview is trying to work out the mind of Karl Robinson and who he’ll pick from his vast squad… thankfully he’s saved me the bother and following our result against AFC Wimbledon on Saturday, all but confirmed who’ll be lining up… With the majority of the squad jetting off for an autumn break, this’ll be another opportunity for our own youngsters to show what they can do.

Phillips
Barnes | Cummings | Dijksteel | Jackson
Lapslie | Aribo
Marshall | Reeves | Ahearne-Grant
Dodoo

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Page | Maloney | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Meh!! – It’s a difficult one; with such a small squad at present, these games are providing useful should we need to call on any of our own Youth players so if we can win and advance then all the better – Should we lose though, I doubt there will be too many chants of "Robbo Out" come the final whistle.

Comments

• as written .. a chance for the youngsters to strut their stuff ..

score line ? .. not a clue .. enjoy it all ye who turn up to watch
  • Hope Marshall and Reeves have good games. Real chance for the two of them to stake a claim.
  • I'm pretty sure listening to Karl's interview he said Jacko would be in midfield. He certainly said page would play LB "if ready" if not "we will have to see about left back".
  • I'm pretty sure listening to Karl's interview he said Jacko would be in midfield. He certainly said page would play LB "if ready" if not "we will have to see about left back".

Have to admit I was writing the team from memory rather than source.

I dont remember him saying the bit about Midfield yet do remember him saying that Page wasnt a definite starter - I reckon your right though and ultimately the change will see Jackson in Midfield / Page @ LB and Lapslie on the bench

Have to admit I was writing the team from memory rather than source.

I dont remember him saying the bit about Midfield yet do remember him saying that Page wasnt a definite starter - I reckon your right though and ultimately the change will see Jackson in Midfield / Page @ LB and Lapslie on the bench
    Apologies. He didn't say in as many words that Jacko would be in midfield. It was more implied by the way he listed the team and suggested he would partner Aribo. I may have misinterpretated!

Even we he tells us the lineup we are unsure.
  • I think Lewis Page will start at left back and Jackson in midfield.
  • Has Sarr gone with the first-team squad? I would have thought he needs games at CB in case needed.

That would free Dijksteel to play in his best position, DM, where he is also most likely to be needed for first-team action (given that we only have Kashi and JFC).

I cannot see any point in playing Jackson. Hardly the future, is he?
  • I doubt if we will have the privilege of seeing Sessegnon. The tournament in India (plus travel) must have been exhausting.
  • Fulham U23's if you don't mind :smile:
  • Sensible enough looking side FA but comfortable away defeat 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good for the other players to get a run out, most important to see Reeves and Marshall get as many minutes, injury free as possible. If the team do well, some may get a chance on Saturday. Score, who cares, as long as the players play well and we get no injuries
  • Comfortable home win 4-0, and I hope both of the fans enjoy it.
  • CE is right, it is the under 23s.. but every news outlet seems to get confused and report it differently.
  • Wouldn't have been surprised had you gone on to Wiki, made the changes and then sent me the link saying check again ;)
  • SDAddick said:

::Logs on to CL and Valley Pass trn minutes before kick off to listen to game in background::

::Spends five minutes trying to figure out why there's not link on VP for audio and no mention of it on the Twitter feed.::

::Realizes game is not today::

::Resumes not caring::

I dont add the date to these Previews for the fun of it mate

Although actually I can be rather unpredictable with getting the Kick-Off time right so dont blame you for questioning it
  • edited October 2017

SDAddick said:

::Logs on to CL and Valley Pass trn minutes before kick off to listen to game in background::

::Spends five minutes trying to figure out why there's not link on VP for audio and no mention of it on the Twitter feed.::

Although actually I can be rather unpredictable with getting the Kick-Off time right so dont blame you for questioning it
    You give me far too much credit for reading.

And my post earlier was just me throwing my toys out of the pram. I actually do enjoy these games as it's a chance to see the youngsters.

Just an FYI you only have four subs. Would expect Page in at LB, Jacko in central midfield, Dijksteel in Central defense with Sarr, then I would guess Bowry instead of Cummings on the bench.

Phillips
    Barnes Dijksteel Sarr Page
    ......... Aribo.... JJ
    Marshall... Reeves.... KAG
    ............. Dodoo

Subs: AMB, Bowry, Lapslie, Maloney, Reeeeeeeeeco

Question to dickplumb and the others who watch the U23s regularly, who do you rate highest amongst Cummings, Yao, and Bowry? And who do you think is rated highest by the club (if different)?
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

And my post earlier was just me throwing my toys out of the pram. I actually do enjoy these games as it's a chance to see the youngsters.

Just an FYI you only have four subs. Would expect Page in at LB, Jacko in central midfield, Dijksteel in Central defense with Sarr, then I would guess Bowry instead of Cummings on the bench.

Phillips
    ......... Aribo.... JJ
    ............. Dodoo

Question to dickplumb and the others who watch the U23s regularly, who do you rate highest amongst Cummings, Yao, and Bowry? And who do you think is rated highest by the club (if different)?
    Didnt we only have either four or five subs for the Crawley game so did that deliberately

Guess we may have a full bench this time seeing that there has been no U23 game this week
  • edited October 2017
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Phillips
    ......... Aribo.... JJ
    ............. Dodoo

Sarr won't be playing. Cummings will be playing instead. For me, Bowry is a better all round footballer than Cummings who is more of a stopper.

• It would appear that even on the Football League site, there is no mention of whether it is Fulham U23 or U21.
    In fact they seem to have airbrushed out any mention of it being Premier youth teams at all. Apart from tonight's scores.
    https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/fixtures-and-results/fixtures/
  • dickplumb said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Phillips
    ......... Aribo.... JJ
    ............. Dodoo

Sarr won't be playing. Cummings will be playing instead. For me, Bowry is a better all round footballer than Cummings who is more of a stopper.

Cheers. Yeah the little I've seen of Bowry he looks like a very technically gifted center back. Will be interested to see Cummings tomorrow night.
  • They really need to renationalise this tournament - these regional restrictions are utter bollocks
  • It would appear that even on the Football League site, there is no mention of whether it is Fulham U23 or U21.
    In fact they seem to have airbrushed out any mention of it being Premier youth teams at all. Apart from tonight's scores.
    https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/fixtures-and-results/fixtures/

The BBC results page shows under 21 teams, no mention of under 23?
  • SDAddick said:

Logged onto the sky score centre app and thought they hadn’t bothered updating our game and the score, so I thought well they care just as much as I do. Came off it, an hour later I came onto here, realised that it’s tomorrow.

Careless and pointless competition in my opinion, really only good for young players to get some form of experience and players coming back from injury some game time.
  • Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Logged onto the sky score centre app and thought they hadn’t bothered updating our game and the score, so I thought well they care just as much as I do. Came off it, an hour later I came onto here, realised that it’s tomorrow.

Careless and pointless competition in my opinion, really only good for young players to get some form of experience and players coming back from injury some game time.
    I largely agree, though I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to have a competition where youngsters are given a run out, especially for a club like ours where we have 3-4 youngsters who are probably ready for senior football but not quite good enough to get into a promotion-chasing League One side.

That said, I can't imagine it's the FA's goal for this competition to be used by lower league clubs to blood youngsters, even though it's a hypocritical view given it's been set up for Premier League clubs to do just that.
  • Surprised Blumberg isn't on the bench. Looks a quality player for the future.
  • edited November 2017

Fulham U23's if you don't mind :smile:

U23's what? Or otherwise no apostrophe if you don't mind. :smile:

In any event, according to the EFL's web site - I guess they should know - the only actual relevant rule for the "invited" clubs is: "Each Invited Club must ensure that in each Match at least 6 of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced."

So there'd be nothing stopping them playing a hefty smattering of regular experienced first teamers if they wanted. With a load more on the bench. But, of course, they won't. Anyway, a weird rule for a weird competition.