Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 28 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic vs AFC Wimbledon
Saturday 28th October 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ben Toner (Lancashire)

Intro

While takeover talk remains in the minds of many Charlton fans, the players and management must now focus on this weekend’s London derby with AFC Wimbledon. Spirits will be high following last week’s great away win at Bradford, where Jake Forster-Caskey’s late arrival turned home Tarique Fosu-Henry’s fluffed volley twenty minutes from time. Winning away at a team above you in the league table is always good, especially as it now puts us level with the Bantams, but it will mean little if the side then go into a game against a team they should (on paper) beat, and become over-confident. I really do hope that manager Karl Robinson brings it home to the lads that we need to continue to push the teams above us, and the way to do that is by beating those teams at the lower end of the league table comfortably. This was certainly a failing last season, and must not be repeated.

The Opposition

Name: AFC Wimbledon | Manager: Neal Ardley
Last Result: AFC Wimbledon 0-1 Plymouth Argyle

Wimbledon are certainly at the lower end of the table and, with a home defeat last week by bottom-of-the-table Plymouth fresh in their minds, they may come to the Valley with a certain amount of trepidation. Last season, at a similar time, they came from behind to bludgeon the Addicks with two late goals, capitalising on the home sides lack of height at the back. They may well be hoping to do a similar job this weekend. They are just one place above the bottom four, but know that if they can snatch a win, they may jump up a few places. It was only two weeks ago that Lyle Taylor’s hat-trick saw the Dons beat promotion contenders Rotherham, so it’s not as if they are playing poorly. They also have an away win at Blackburn on this season’s record, no mean feat! Old boy Dean Parrett is unlikely to play due to a long term groin injury.

Charlton Team News

It was great that someone other than Tarique Fosu-Henry scored last week, as he had taken all of the bookies bets for the best part of a month – six goals in four games – to make him our leading scorer this season. The pressure of Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves returning from injury meant Fosu-Henry was the favourite to be dropped in favour of one of these two; however, that is now unlikely any time soon. He will be joined in our free-flowing attack by Josh Magennis, Billy Clarke, and Ricky Holmes. Ahmed Kashi and Jake Forster-Caskey are pretty much our only midfield options, so expect them to appear in tandem once more. Ben Amos got his first Man-of-the-Match call last week, so he will remain unchallenged between the sticks. The only area where we may see a change is at the back. Chris Solly got an assist last week, but is under increasing pressure as he no longer seems to be our best player every week! You know you will get 100% every week from Solls, but despite continued backing from the manager, some fans are asking if he is the best full back option right now? Naby Sarr is worth his place (especially if we get the expected aerial bombardment from the Dons…), as are Paddy Bauer and Ezri Konsa. At the moment, Jay DeSilva is the defender missing out, but he’s a pretty good reserve to have should he need to come on at any time. I'm not expecting any change from last week's starting eleven, but Mark Marshall may make the bench in place of Joe DoDoo.:

Amos
Solly Bauer Konsa Sarr
Kashi Forster-Caskey
Holmes Clarke Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips, DeSilva, Jackson, Reeves, Aribo, Ahearne-Grant, Marshall.

Prediction

Pedro45 has been dragged out of retirement to write this preview (get well soon @ForeverAddickted) , and is not too confident that we will get the three points we want. Good away wins are often followed by poor home performances, so I am going to favour a 1-1 draw. Better than last season, but ultimately disappointing. Let’s hope I’m wrong! COYA!

Comments

• edited October 2017
    3-0 to the Addicks, in theory but knowing Charlton this is where we could slip up so lets see what this squad is made off after a great result @ Bradford

Edit- Nice preview Pedro :)
  • 2-0 to the Addicks. Ricky Holmes to score them both from outside the box.
  • Like many sides in this league they'll be strong and very well organised , but ultimately a bit short of quality, add to that a confident home side which is looking up, no slip ups this week 3-0.
  • Bring back JDS, give Konsa a rest I reckon. It's a good problem to have
  • Battling 2-1 victory.
  • A hard fought 2-0
  • edited October 2017
    Hope we hand them a thrashing purely how their fans acted last season at their shithole ground.

7-0
  • it'll be 1-1 as jimmymelrose is over from France and the last four games he has seen have ended 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• This will be the first game I’ve been able to make this season. Nailed on 0-3 loss.
  • I'm going with @happyvalley this week, it's about time we gave one of these teams at the bottom end of the table a real hiding, instead of them winning one nil and this week is the week. 4 - 0 to the mighty Addicks , goals from Big Mac, Bauer , Fosu and a late first goal at The Valley for Chris Solly and no I've had a drink yet, but I am going to this one!
  • I agree with Pedro, being as Wimbledon play like Bradford with big players, I expect Sarr to carry on at LB. If Amos plays as well as last week and keeps a clean sheet, I will go for 2-0, would like to say more, but not sure we are the type of team that will give other teams a hiding
  • 3-1 to the Red & White Army
  • We haven't been awarded a penalty this season so it's about time we did.
    3.0 Charlton with two penalties converted by whoever takes them
  • Why would JDS be left out of a home game? He is brilliant going forward and ,as far as I'm aware, has only had difficulty against Doncaster defensively. If Sarr really is playing better than Konsa, play him at centre back
  • Wimbledon are a physical team that work hard but also play a lot of route one football. Konsa deserves to keep his place but I can’t see Dasilva not playing two games running. Sarr’s physical nature will probably give him the nod in front of Konsa but we shall see...

Amos
    Solly Bauer Sarr Dasilva
    Kashi Forster-Caskey
    Holmes Reeves Fosu
    Magennis

Phillips, Konsa, Jackson, Aribo, Marshall, Clarke, Dodoo

Charlton 3-1 Wimbledon
  • They will want to frustrate us at every opportunity. Can see us waiting until 65 - 75 mins before scoring. Nervous 1 - 0
  • Sorry to piss on the fireworks but fancying a rather boring 1-1 draw.
  • Wonder if the AFC fans will unfurl another "Karl Robinson is a c*nt" banner like the classy people they are.....
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-1 and missed chances galore!
  • I'll be out of phone and internet contact during the game. Bound to be another 7-6.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Wonder if the AFC fans will unfurl another "Karl Robinson is a c*nt" banner like the classy people they are.....

That was totally shameful as was the fact it was allowed to be displayed for such a long time and definitely warrants 90 minutes of a very loud KR’s red and white army this Saturday to get on their fucking nerves
  • Why the hatred at him though? He was just the manager of MK. Surely their beef is with the owners.
  • Feel optimistic so expect 4-1 win.
  • Comfortable win. Their manager claiming Forrester having late fitness test and others carrying knocks. Sounds like he is getting his excuses in early.
  • Redrobo said:

Comfortable win. Their manager claiming Forrester having late fitness test and others carrying knocks. Sounds like he is getting his excuses in early.

Or doing that whole FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLE STATION thing. They'll have a full-strength team running at us! It'll be terrible. We'll only win like 2-1
  • got a feeling that this will be a draw ... the Wombles will be all out to show their SE near neighbours that they still have what it takes .. we lack firepower up front at home .. I am down for this one and sincerely hope I'm wrong .. BUT ..

CAFC 1 v Afc Wimbledon 1
  • Fully fit squad. Confidence high. Wimbledon not having a great season. Has to be a defeat.

Seriously i'm going for a big win. 5-1
  • We owe them after slade's negativity last season

3-0 to us
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!