Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

East Stand Real Ale kiosk

What happened to this, as it's not been open at all this season, yet the signs advertising it haven't been taken down?

Comments

• Yes, very disappointing. I find John Smiths undrinkable.
  • Stopped serving its purpose once they stopped serving hot cider in coffee cups ;)
  • That Caladonian beer, Valley Ale is pure filth.
  • I noticed on the counter that the milk for the coffee is UHT which is close to the most vile thing in creation. What is more whatever drink that muck is added to only tastes of that vile stuff.
  • Never mind, whilst you cannot buy it you are not lining the Belgians pockets.

I doubt RD's finances would notice the sale of 30-50 pints of ale. Indeed with the 2 members of catering staff, and extra attention Real Ale needs to keep, plus wastage, I doubt they made much money on it anyway
  • I think you may have missed my point.

My point being that the club, and hence RD, would have made virtually nothing on the Ale sales anyway

My point being that the club, and hence RD, would have made virtually nothing on the Ale sales anyway
    My point that the supporters did not give any money to that prick.
  • Sponsored links:

My point that the supporters did not give any money to that prick.
    You are both correct
  • Never mind, whilst you cannot buy it you are not lining the Belgians pockets.

I doubt RD's finances would notice the sale of 30-50 pints of ale. Indeed with the 2 members of catering staff, and extra attention Real Ale needs to keep, plus wastage, I doubt they made much money on it anyway
    Of course if the club was doing well a league above, the number of pints sold would be at least double. When the thing did operate, that was the only time I bought a beer at the ground for years. I also bought food from those Moroccans who had the stall outside the North turnstiles. Delicious. Never bought the other shite/piss and that was true long before these clowns came along.

• edited September 2017
    Shame, sounded like a nice idea.
  • edited September 2017

Never mind, whilst you cannot buy it you are not lining the Belgians pockets.

They could easily sell decent ale at a profit if the will was there. You can buy very reasonable bottles of ale at retail prices (let alone wholesale) for just £1.25, stuff like Adnams and Hobgoblin which would be absolutely fine. A skilled bar person could have one out of the bottle and into a glass with just the right amount of head in 30 seconds flat. This could then be sold at 2, maybe 3, times cost price. The only thing stopping the club from doing this is that they haven't got the wit to organise it.
  • Stig said:

Never mind, whilst you cannot buy it you are not lining the Belgians pockets.

They could easily sell decent ale at a profit if the will was there. You can buy very reasonable bottles of ale at retail prices (let alone wholesale) for just £1.25, stuff like Adnams and Hobgoblin which would be absolutely fine. A skilled bar person could have one out of the bottle and into a glass with just the right amount of head in 30 seconds flat. This could then be sold at 2, maybe 3, times cost price. The only thing stopping the club from doing this is that they haven't got the wit to organise it.
    I fear that's wishful thinking. The staff that are employed at The Valley, Gawd bless 'em, haven't historically been the sharpest tools in the box. Not only is giving the right change back an extreme challenge, but giving you milk to go with your Bovril indicates a sheltered life when it comes to making drinks. If they can't get Bovril right, I woudn't trust them with a decent ale.... ;-)
  • The presence, let alone the openness, of catering outlets at The Valley is irrelevant all the while the Belgian buffoon remains in ownership (at any level).
    Spending money with roly's toxic pantomime or any of its collaborators is anathema to anyone with an iota of regard for the health and future of Charlton Athletic Football Club.
    I don't need to reiterate the sense of the financial boycott.
    In isolation I'm not sure a cask ale outlet which opens on average once a fortnight is really ever likely to be a cash cow. Flogging bottled real ale might turn a worthwhile profit.
    As soon as Charlton's fistula has been treated I'll look forward to the chance of buying a Tribute or 6X or coffee or even 14 chips :wink: but not realistically for many months to come, yet.
    Actually on the subject of the on site catering - I saw a senior chap with his freshly purchased punnet of chips on Saturday. Meager is far too generous a word! How much are they? 40p? 50p maybe? Just about covered the bottom of the tiny cardboard tray, if there were even 14 I'd be surprised. Delaware wotstheirname must have a 'unique' interpretation of the notion of value.
    As winter approaches sandwiches and flasks will become the true emblems of the revolution.
  • The presence, let alone the openness, of catering outlets at The Valley is irrelevant all the while the Belgian buffoon remains in ownership (at any level).
    Spending money with roly's toxic pantomime or any of its collaborators is anathema to anyone with an iota of regard for the health and future of Charlton Athletic Football Club.
    In isolation I'm not sure a cask ale outlet which opens on average once a fortnight is really ever likely to be a cash cow. Flogging bottled real ale might turn a worthwhile profit.
    As soon as Charlton's fistula has been treated I'll look forward to the chance of buying a Tribute or 6X or coffee or even 14 chips :wink: but not realistically for many months to come, yet.
    Actually on the subject of the on site catering - I saw a senior chap with his freshly purchased punnet of chips on Saturday. Meager is far too generous a word! How much are they? 40p? 50p maybe? Just about covered the bottom of the tiny cardboard tray, if there were even 14 I'd be surprised. Delaware wotstheirname must have a 'unique' interpretation of the notion of value.
    As winter approaches sandwiches and flasks will become the true emblems of the revolution.

Just you wait until the numpties in the blue bibs stop you bringing flasks into the ground.

Just you wait until the numpties in the blue bibs stop you bringing flasks into the ground.
    Get 3,000 fans to leave their flasks at reception for collection after the game, they'll rethink that one. ;)

I'll happily take my chances there - 5 games in and no interest in anything I've been carrying yet...
  • Was the thing I got excited about most when we got Belgian owners, decent beer coming our way I thought. They couldn't even get that right. That's how I knew very early on RD was going to be a disaster. When a Belgian can't organize decent beer then that truly is a sign of their incompetence and/or apathy towards us.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm intrigued by the Bovril with milk idea. It could work