Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Solly

He is the quietest captain i’ve ever known. We were shocking for the first 35 mins today and not once did he wake us up, shout at anyone or do anything that I’d expect of a leader who’s team were all over the place.

I love Solly but surely the armband would be much better around Pearce or Bauer. A more commanding figure than Solly. Someone who’ll take control and get at players when we’re not performing.

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Ask Robinson if he can have some lessons with Johnson, as he's still around the building
  • Must have missed the part where either Kashi or Forster-Caskey did something wrong in the opening 30mins and Solly ran up to them arms raised screaming
  • I love the lad to bits but he natuarally a very shy person. That is not his fault. He is what he is. Pearce is probably better suited to the roll.
  • I love the lad to bits but he natuarally a very shy person. That is not his fault. He is what he is. Pearce is probably better suited to the roll.

He appears camera shy etc. but is he shy around the rest of the squad?

I'm quite a shy person myself but know me well and I'm someone that people dont want to piss off!!
  • He is the quietest captain i’ve ever known. We were shocking for the first 35 mins today and not once did he wake us up, shout at anyone or do anything that I’d expect of a leader who’s team were all over the place.

I love Solly but surely the armband would be much better around Pearce or Bauer. A more commanding figure than Solly. Someone who’ll take control and get at players when we’re not performing.

been saying this from the start of the season.
  • Talal said:

I agree but having the armband or not shouldn't make a difference to players like Pearce taking control. They know he is quiet and should just assume the role.

This, I'm not sure what difference changing captain would really make.
  • Don’t think it makes a difference in the slightest tbh. Being captain is more of an off the field role, Solly having the armband won’t stop the natural leaders like Pearce shouting orders etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• We needed someone to take control. We were all over the place and needed a boot up the ass. Yes Robinson can bark orders from the sideline but for me I’d like to have seen more from Solly. We were extremely slow out the blocks and let it go on for too long whilst our captain says nothing
  • edited September 2017

We needed someone to take control. We were all over the place and needed a boot up the ass. Yes Robinson can bark orders from the sideline but for me I’d like to have seen more from Solly. We were extremely slow out the blocks and let it go on for too long whilst our captain says nothing

Load of rubbish, if he didn’t say anything and the players didn’t trust him to be captain he wouldn’t be one would he? What experience have you got to say he’s not loud enough.
  • We needed someone to take control. We were all over the place and needed a boot up the ass. Yes Robinson can bark orders from the sideline but for me I’d like to have seen more from Solly. We were extremely slow out the blocks and let it go on for too long whilst our captain says nothing

Load of rubbish, if he didn’t say anything and the players didn’t trust him to be captain he wouldn’t be one would he? What experience have you got to say he’s not loud enough.
    Eh?
  • Oh leave him alone. He's only 5 ft 3
  • Kinsella wasn't exactly loud. Players respected him though
  • Straw clutching. Ultimately we were without our 4 main creative players when Clarke went off and Robinson got the changes wrong yesterday. Those factors matched with a very slow start were the reasons we didn't win yesterday.

I wouldn't have picked Solly as captain this year but I don't think it's hindering us
  • I'm sure I saw Solly shout and have an argument with the bench possibly Jackson in the first half. Sitting in East Stand so I could have got this completely wrong.
  • Solly does seem to be more vocal now, though he will never be an obvious Captain in the way Jacko is, and Jacko is still the club captain anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• We need a vociferous captain to bollock the full-backs for letting so many crosses over, particularly from the right. Oh!

He appears camera shy etc. but is he shy around the rest of the squad?

I'm quite a shy person myself but know me well and I'm someone that people dont want to piss off!!
    Well he's painfully shy at the POTY "dos".
  • Oh leave him alone. He's only 5 ft 3

And he's better than John Terry
  • The captain is a massively important role on and off the pitch. He's the respected link between the players and the manager. I believe you do need a certain quality to be a captain.
  • agim said:

The captain is a massively important role on and off the pitch. He's the respected link between the players and the manager. I believe you do need a certain quality to be a captain.

So what are we missing out on by say Pearce wearing the armband rather than Solly? Are we playing worse because of it?
  • having a squad with the depth and strength of a poppadom doesn't help matters, solly is fine for the role, charlton lad through and through and i'm happy with him.
  • edited September 2017
    Tries to lead by example, puts in challenges covers plenty of ground, ultimately is not Captain material for me as he does not give the players either the bollocking or pat on the back they need at times.

I personally would rather Bauer or Pearce.

I would say Ricky is an option too as winning is everything for him, though discipline could be his downfall...
  • makes no difference who wears the armband really, I'm sure Solly is well respected senior pro.

having the armband or not shouldn't stop Pearce acting like a captain on the pitch and I doubt it does.

Scoham said:

agim said:

The captain is a massively important role on and off the pitch. He's the respected link between the players and the manager. I believe you do need a certain quality to be a captain.

So what are we missing out on by say Pearce wearing the armband rather than Solly? Are we playing worse because of it?
    It's hard to say without knowing the individuals. You'll see how good a captain is in times of trouble, the last 10 mins of a important game or when the team needs to buck it's ideas up.
    I've had captains ask to take the HT team talk because they weren't happy with the first half and 9 times out of 10 the performance is much improved. The team has to respect him and so does the manager.