Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Belgian Teenager

Belgian teenager Largie Ramazani has joined Manchester United on a scholarship contract from League One side Charlton Athletic. Another potential lost and he is Belgian!

Comments

• Slightly off topic. Friend of ours, their son plays Fulham Development. 1.5k a week at age of 17 amazed me!
  • Another premiership star of the future we didn't even get to watch.
  • oh good another of our young players we'll see in the Premiership - but not playing for us
  • Was this not months ago?
  • July I think.
  • edited September 2017
  • Was this not months ago?

yes, was on the rumours thread back in July.

16 so no way to stop him.

• Swisdom said:

Old news but The potential here though is the knock-on effect. I hear there are a couple of players in the academy whose parents aren't happy that we are losing players to bigger clubs. One such lad is a real gem but bigger clubs are sniffing around. Sadly there comes a time when their parents will walk away from the best place for their son in favour of short term financial gain.

The sooner we get Cat 1 status the better - it's as simple as that

Cat 1 won't stop it though, it'll just mean higher compensation
  • Swisdom said:

Old news but The potential here though is the knock-on effect. I hear there are a couple of players in the academy whose parents aren't happy that we are losing players to bigger clubs. One such lad is a real gem but bigger clubs are sniffing around. Sadly there comes a time when their parents will walk away from the best place for their son in favour of short term financial gain.

Cat 1 won't stop it though, it'll just mean higher compensation
    And it shows we are a more serious academy. We are already one of the best in the country but that quality of pitches and facilities the Cat 1 plans will give us should be enough to deter most from approaching us

• Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

A promotion or two would help as well. Could offer the chance of first team football at a higher level and more money.

I'm not sure cat 1 alone would stop clubs like Chelsea and Man City hoovering up the better players.

As for us having one of the best in the country there are 24 cat 1 clubs and must be various cat 2 clubs that can compete with us. I wouldn't assume we have a better academy than a cat 1 club like Reading or Fulham.
  • edited September 2017
    Swisdom said:

Maybe if we were a club showing ambition and in the Championship at least we would hold onto kids more easily. I wonder how many Palace have lost recently but they are Cat2 with similar training facilities. Interested to know why you think we are "the best place" instead of another club?

Plus financial considerations should not be important with a billionnaire owner.
  • Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

A promotion or two would help as well. Could offer the chance of first team football at a higher level and more money.

I'm not sure cat 1 alone would stop clubs like Chelsea and Man City hoovering up the better players.

As for us having one of the best in the country there are 24 cat 1 clubs and must be various cat 2 clubs that can compete with us. I wouldn't assume we have a better academy than a cat 1 club like Reading or Fulham.
    If we were higher, then the path to the first team would dry up. Indeed that's one if the main attractions we can offer youngsters, the realistic chance of league football
  • Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

If we were higher, then the path to the first team would dry up. Indeed that's one if the main attractions we can offer youngsters, the realistic chance of league football
    It's easier but it depends on the type of managers you appoint. Some Prem clubs still give young players a chance.
  • edited September 2017
    Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

Who have Reading ever produced?

Academies are there to develop youth, even if our facilities aren't as good. Our overall academy is still better than most.
  • Thought this was going to be a thread about our new Chief Scout!
  • Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

Academies are there to develop youth, even if our facilities aren't as good. Our overall academy is still better than most.
    Tarique Fosu has been a nice addition.
  • Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

Don't know, that was kind of my point. They've had 45 first team debuts so like us give players their chance.

• Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

You wash your damn mouth out! Reading produced Simon Church!

But also Simon Cox, Ben Hamer, Darius Henderson, Jamie Ashdown, Michael Hector, James Henry, Alex McCarthy, Jordan Obita, Alex Pearce, Hal Robson-Kanu, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Aaron Tshibola and Nathan Tyson amongst others. They're also claiming credit for Shane Long but I'm calling bullshit on that as he was 18 when he joined. Seems they do a good line in career Football League players who can have a bit of a run in the Prem in a promotion team before returning to their level at Championship/League One. Some really decent players in there. Also Churchy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

These days though it's probably more likely that a 16 year old would rather earn 1k a week more to play in Chelsea's youth team and then get loaned out 10 times than potentially be in our first team in 2 years time.
  • Not at all what I expected when I opened the thread. I'll open the curtains again.
  • Why have Belgium started producing such an astonishing amount of talented players in the last decade?
  • Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

You wash your damn mouth out! Reading produced Simon Church!

But also Simon Cox, Ben Hamer, Darius Henderson, Jamie Ashdown, Michael Hector, James Henry, Alex McCarthy, Jordan Obita, Alex Pearce, Hal Robson-Kanu, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Aaron Tshibola and Nathan Tyson amongst others. They're also claiming credit for Shane Long but I'm calling bullshit on that as he was 18 when he joined. Seems they do a good line in career Football League players who can have a bit of a run in the Prem in a promotion team before returning to their level at Championship/League One. Some really decent players in there. Also Churchy.
    Jumping on this way late but they don't get credit for Shane Long. They picked him up from Cork City for 10k (We wuz robbed) in the duty free on their way back to England after buying Kevin Doyle for 110k. Their scout Eamon Dolan (deceased now) knew these players (and Doylers buyout) because his brother Pat was the former manager at Cork City and was unhappy at his sacking. Due to Administration we missed out on sell on fees for both players too.

• Just came on for United in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
  • edited November 2019
    Left a club in his home country for us then left us for Utd pretty quickly if I am right.  Assuming having been at Utd a couple of years now, he will very soon be looking to better himself again.  If he is decent he wont want to hang around a mid table PL club that long
  • edited November 2019
    Has been playing in their Football League Trophy campaign
    First time entering has seen them qualify for the Second Round (going to be away @ Tranmere)
    Scored against Rotherham in the first game, might be worth loaning out in January

• Been released from United now, maybe he should've stayed with us.