Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• For those that haven't heard what happened yesterday in the Kent Village game between Egerton and Littlebourne match yesterday, prepare to either admire or despair at the "bullyin" tactics employed by the Littlebourne opener and captain:

littlebourne.play-cricket.com/website/results/2884355

The most interesting thing here is the 5 overs he bowled
  • Our points system is as follows:

Win toss, win batting first - 15 points

Win toss, win batting second - 15 points

Lose toss, win batting first - 15 points

Lose toss, win batting second - 15 points

Bonus points:

1 point for every two wickets, up to a maximum of 5 points (i.e. all out)

Losing bonus points:

Loss 90+R OR 10 Wkts (0 points)
    Loss 80-89R OR 9 Wkts (1 points)
    Loss 70-79R OR 8 Wkts (2 points)
    Loss 60-69R OR 7 Wkts (3 points)
    Loss 50-59R OR 6 Wkts (4 points)
    Loss 40-49R OR 5 Wkts (5 points)
    Loss 30-39R OR 4 Wkts (6 points)
    Loss 20-29R OR 3 Wkts (7 points)
    Loss 10-19R OR 2 Wkts (8 points)
    Loss 1-9R OR 1 Wkt (9 points)

So as an example, Charlton play Millwall.

Charlton - 250-4
    Millwall - 185 all out

We would get 15 for winning; then 5 for all the wickets.

Millwall get 2 points for the wickets, and 3 points for losing by 65 runs, for a total of 5.
  • Our league rules are quite simple:
    10 points for the win
    5 batting bonus points (100/125/150/175/200)
    5 bowling bonus points (1 for each 2 wickets)

The team chasing gets full batting points if they win, regardless of the total they are chasing.
  • Slow day at work @PaddyP17 ?
  • AshBurton said:

Slow day at work @PaddyP17 ?

No, just a stickler for the rules and regs. Captain's curse, eh...
  • AshBurton said:

Hot on the heels of Littlebourne's bullying comes this latest club cricket shocker:
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41076945

Within this particular league's rules so fair game or simply beyond the pale? Discuss.

I think its absolutely disgusting & they should be thrown out..........to my mind its just the same as throwing a game. Saw it on the BBC website & heard the league spokesman who said that no rules were broken & all ok. What utter rubbish. Fancy wining the title due to the fact you were so afraid of losing that you decide not to play.

As they say, there is more to life than winning or losing. Its how you play the game. If I was on that side I would have walked out as soon as I knew what the captain was up to.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Our points system is as follows:

Win toss, win batting first - 15 points

Win toss, win batting second - 15 points

Lose toss, win batting first - 15 points

Lose toss, win batting second - 15 points

Bonus points:

1 point for every two wickets, up to a maximum of 5 points (i.e. all out)

Losing bonus points:

Loss 90+R OR 10 Wkts (0 points)
    Loss 80-89R OR 9 Wkts (1 points)
    Loss 70-79R OR 8 Wkts (2 points)
    Loss 60-69R OR 7 Wkts (3 points)
    Loss 50-59R OR 6 Wkts (4 points)
    Loss 40-49R OR 5 Wkts (5 points)
    Loss 30-39R OR 4 Wkts (6 points)
    Loss 20-29R OR 3 Wkts (7 points)
    Loss 10-19R OR 2 Wkts (8 points)
    Loss 1-9R OR 1 Wkt (9 points)

So as an example, Charlton play Millwall.

Charlton - 250-4
    Millwall - 185 all out

We would get 15 for winning; then 5 for all the wickets.

Millwall get 2 points for the wickets, and 3 points for losing by 65 runs, for a total of 5.

What is the point of all those scenarios at the top? Surely 15 points for the win is the rule?
  • edited August 2017
    Cricket originally used to be played with two stumps. The first three stump match was at Chertsey Cricket Club in the 18th century. Has anyone played at Chiswick House near the Hogarth roundabout? Spectacular ground surrounded entirely by woodland.
  • Hartley, champions last season and for five of the last six years, were relegated from the Kent Premier League today. Now that is a shock.

• Did they get relegated? Their 6 point's for the loss to Bexley is not on the website. I think Sevenoaks Vine go down?
  • Sponsored links:

• Gammysnr said:

Did they get relegated? Their 6 point's for the loss to Bexley is not on the website. I think Sevenoaks Vine go down?

It is - they had 158 before today's game but, whoever has put the result up, still has the game as "match in progress". They have, however, given Hartley their 6 points (but not given Bexley their 18 points).

If this isn't the case then all those renditions of "Hartley going down with a billion in the bank, billion in the bank, billion in the bank........." have been somewhat wasted. As I suspect were some of the people singing it!
  • Last year Bromley, who were the dominant club before Hartley's emergence in the Kent Premier League, were relegated and have shown no signs of an imminent return. Now Hartley have gone, how the mighty have fallen?
  • They are in a jam then................

I'll get me coat

Probably your best contribution to the cricket threads on here Golfie.
  • Riviera said:

Last year Bromley, who were the dominant club before Hartley's emergence in the Kent Premier League, were relegated and have shown no signs of an imminent return. Now Hartley have gone, how the mighty have fallen?

And Bromley have made it clear that they don't really want to go back up. I umpired them today, a loss to already relegated Hayes, and they have some good players but are happy to be 3rd each year.
  • Hartley, champions last season and for five of the last six years, were relegated from the Kent Premier League today. Now that is a shock.

There was a bit of sharp practice to, as Hartley didn't put the covers on the pitch Friday night and it rained. That was why they ended up playing a T20 game vs Bexley which sent them down.
  • Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

Last year Bromley, who were the dominant club before Hartley's emergence in the Kent Premier League, were relegated and have shown no signs of an imminent return. Now Hartley have gone, how the mighty have fallen?

And Bromley have made it clear that they don't really want to go back up. I umpired them today, a loss to already relegated Hayes, and they have some good players but are happy to be 3rd each year.
    That is what I have heard too. Trying to build a team rather than buy one as they did when successful in the KCL. As Hartley have found this season, five top batsmen means nothing if you have a third rate bowling attack.
  • Pedro45 said:

Hartley, champions last season and for five of the last six years, were relegated from the Kent Premier League today. Now that is a shock.

There was a bit of sharp practice to, as Hartley didn't put the covers on the pitch Friday night and it rained. That was why they ended up playing a T20 game vs Bexley which sent them down.
    And in contravention of League Rules?
  • Hartley going down with a billion in the bank :)
  • Pedro45 said:

Hartley, champions last season and for five of the last six years, were relegated from the Kent Premier League today. Now that is a shock.

And in contravention of League Rules?
    You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment!
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

That is what I have heard too. Trying to build a team rather than buy one as they did when successful in the KCL. As Hartley have found this season, five top batsmen means nothing if you have a third rate bowling attack.
    Bromley, who paid Yasir Arafat a grand a game, are looking to "build a team"? Interesting...
  • Anyway. We got thrashed by Bexleyheath yesterday, who - along with the ludicrously strong Beckenham 4s - are being promoted. But having been 30-7 in our chase of 223, to get to 134 all out was not the worst effort in the world.

The centrepiece of the day though was of course the curry, where 25 of us turned up (a strong effort considering the amount of part time players who rock up for our 4th XI - I used 30-odd players this year!), and then went on out by and large all together.

It's been a great cricket season - hope everyone's had an enjoyable summer! On to 2018!
  • Unreal night at the club last night with the 1s winning the Prem... messy! :-)
  • PaddyP17 said:

Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

Bromley, who paid Yasir Arafat a grand a game, are looking to "build a team"? Interesting...
    But he lives locally and I don't think that they pay him that (much) now.
  • Our last game ended in another defeat this time to Trinity Mid-Whitgiftians who posted 213 in 35 overs,dropped catches cost us.We managed a spirited 173 for 3 after our 35 overs including an 111 no.

Not been a good season but age of our current squad and the lack of new players hasn't helped.

Sadly it looks like next season will be the clubs last :(
  • Oh, yeah, something amusing for us all.

Our first team got hit for 431 off 50 overs yesterday. Then again, our skipper gave everyone a bowl, including a guy with a physical handicap that means he bowls loopy 15mph pies (and went for under 10 an over!)... The guy who got 2-20 (off two overs) is our regular wicket-keeper - these are his bowling stats for the last several years...
  • edited September 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

Oh, yeah, something amusing for us all.

Our first team got hit for 431 off 50 overs yesterday. Then again, our skipper gave everyone a bowl, including a guy with a physical handicap that means he bowls loopy 15mph pies (and went for under 10 an over!)... The guy who got 2-20 (off two overs) is our regular wicket-keeper - these are his bowling stats for the last several years...

Not that it matters, given the margin of defeat, but their innings actually totals 444 not 431...
  • bowl him more.
  • MrOneLung said:

bowl him more.

Absolutely not - his action is trash and he's so, so much better as a keeper. One of the best and most consistent I've seen behind the sticks.
  • PaddyP17 said:

MrOneLung said:

bowl him more.

Absolutely not - his action is trash and he's so, so much better as a keeper. One of the best and most consistent I've seen behind the sticks.
    Quite right. Clearly peaked in 2015 with an unplayable 4 for 14 off 4.2 overs. All downhill now.