Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Paul and Nick, Kyle and Shai, Bob and No
  • The chap has "only" scored 819 runs in his last 5 innings!
  • Ahhh, looking at Mr Gould's history, he scored his first 99* before he'd ever scored a ton, and he's been taking it out on everyone ever since. I'd back myself to nab him though, after a couple of boundaries ;)
  • I guess he got upset at his brother getting a duck!
  • Shit, last season there was an even more spectacular game. He scored only 228 but his team got over 500 and won a 40-over game by 470 runs. His brother, who was stumped second ball for a duck in this game, outscored him. One can only imagine how many they'd have scored this time if he'd stayed in
  • He was dropped in the first over by all accounts - potentially the second most expensive drop of all time after Scott's fumble when Lara was on 18 on his way to his world record 501.
  • Had a look on Twitter. There's been a bit of sniping haha
  • Leuth said:

Ahhh, looking at Mr Gould's history, he scored his first 99* before he'd ever scored a ton, and he's been taking it out on everyone ever since. I'd back myself to nab him though, after a couple of boundaries ;)

It seems that, prior to 2007, he was only ever regarded as a "tail ender". One of those who turns up at the club and says "I'm a bowler who keeps but can bat a bit too" - 10,492 runs, 130 wickets and 157 catches/stumpings later I think he has proved himself to be a useful all rounder.
  • http://dormanslandcc.play-cricket.com/website/results/2916736 This was the damage from a couple of Sundays ago. 180-0 to 201-9 wonderful stuff
  • Leuth said:

Ahhh, looking at Mr Gould's history, he scored his first 99* before he'd ever scored a ton, and he's been taking it out on everyone ever since. I'd back myself to nab him though, after a couple of boundaries ;)

It seems that, prior to 2007, he was only ever regarded as a "tail ender". One of those who turns up at the club and says "I'm a bowler who keeps but can bat a bit too" - 10,492 runs, 130 wickets and 157 catches/stumpings later I think he has proved himself to be a useful all rounder.
    Prior to 2007 he was probably about 12 years old
  • Sponsored links:

• http://dormanslandcc.play-cricket.com/website/results/2916736 This was the damage from a couple of Sundays ago. 180-0 to 201-9 wonderful stuff

Ripped apart by presumably their part-time spinner ;)
  • Leuth said:

http://dormanslandcc.play-cricket.com/website/results/2916736 This was the damage from a couple of Sundays ago. 180-0 to 201-9 wonderful stuff

Ripped apart by presumably their part-time spinner ;)
    He was wicket-keeping for half the innings!
  • Ha ha 8 overs 7 wickets for 7 runs
  • He has previous: http://egerton.play-cricket.com/website/results/2697332?fref=gc

I think it's really poor form.

Had the following exchange on FB with one of their blokes -
    The result [against] Folkestone 3s [was during] a season when Littlebourne were playing for promotion, as as a club we are pushing to get into the Kent league set up. A game where 20 points were needed, like every game we play.

Unfortunately, you can only bat against what you are put in front of you and league records are surly there to be broken ??

Do we have this conversation every time someone breaks a record?
    To which I replied:
    Come on now.

Byron and Sully are clearly class cricketers, and good enough to know when they're up against an attack that's clearly not up to scratch. If it were a team of youngsters, then beating them into submission and causing them to possibly start disliking cricket is just a prick move.

You manage the game. You can tell how good or bad a side is when you have the talent of the Goulds. They would have known 20 points was sewn up by the time they were, what, 200-odd for no loss off 15 overs or whatever.

518-3? There's no gain there for anyone.
    I think they were being total pricks. Really wouldn't like to play against them as a club, as they clearly are bullies.
  • PaddyP17 said:

He has previous: http://egerton.play-cricket.com/website/results/2697332?fref=gc

The result [against] Folkestone 3s [was during] a season when Littlebourne were playing for promotion, as as a club we are pushing to get into the Kent league set up. A game where 20 points were needed, like every game we play.

Unfortunately, you can only bat against what you are put in front of you and league records are surly there to be broken ??

To which I replied:
    Come on now.

Byron and Sully are clearly class cricketers, and good enough to know when they're up against an attack that's clearly not up to scratch. If it were a team of youngsters, then beating them into submission and causing them to possibly start disliking cricket is just a prick move.

You manage the game. You can tell how good or bad a side is when you have the talent of the Goulds. They would have known 20 points was sewn up by the time they were, what, 200-odd for no loss off 15 overs or whatever.

I think they were being total pricks. Really wouldn't like to play against them as a club, as they clearly are bullies.

That is ludicrous, what a bunch of arseholes
  • One of Seb's U14 county colleagues played against them a couple of weeks ago. The lad in question is a "wicket to wicket, line and length bowler" who had, prior to meeting them an economy rate of 3.6 - he went for 33 in two overs!
  • Used to play for Whistable in the KCL. Absolute pointless dropping 7 divisions to KRCL.
  • Still reckon I could rip one through him. End of season friendly, Paddy? ;)
  • Leuth said:

Still reckon I could rip one through him. End of season friendly, Paddy? ;)

I'm unavailable - quite liking my sub-3 economy rate for the season
  • Sponsored links:

• What this needs is a good umpire giving him out on nought for obstructing the field.
  • edited August 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

He has previous: http://egerton.play-cricket.com/website/results/2697332?fref=gc

To which I replied:
    Come on now.

One thing they don't have is class! They are playing a very low level of club cricket and really should test themselves at a higher standard.
  • Playing only my second cricket game since school tonight, the first was only a couple of weeks ago too. Funny seeing at the start of this thread that one of my closest friends in my first years at secondary school is still playing. He played for Kent back then and was so far ahead of everyone we came across at school level it was ridiculous.

Still, made 23 a few weeks ago with the bat, hoping to top that tonight. No doubt I'll be disappointed!
  • Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

To which I replied:
    Come on now.

One thing they don't have is class! They are playing a very low level of club cricket and really should test themselves at a higher standard.

Someone once said to me you are of the same standard as your worst opposition unless you are world champion.
    This was referring to people that play in pub darts leagues, win everything whilst banging on about how they had a twelve darter in the superleague on Monday.
    Think the same principal applies here ( the bullying bastards).
  • Hot on the heels of Littlebourne's bullying comes this latest club cricket shocker:
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41076945

Within this particular league's rules so fair game or simply beyond the pale? Discuss.

• AshBurton said:

Hot on the heels of Littlebourne's bullying comes this latest club cricket shocker:

Within this particular league's rules so fair game or simply beyond the pale? Discuss.

Years ago in our league it was 10 points for a win, 1 bonus bowling point for every 2 wickets taken and 1 bonus batting point for every 40 runs scored up to 200.
    If we lost the toss and fielded first against the weaker teams, we'd often take our opening bowlers off and gift the oppo runs otherwise we couldn't get decent batting points chasing a small total.
  • AshBurton said:

Hot on the heels of Littlebourne's bullying comes this latest club cricket shocker:

Years ago in our league it was 10 points for a win, 1 bonus bowling point for every 2 wickets taken and 1 bonus batting point for every 40 runs scored up to 200.
    If we lost the toss and fielded first against the weaker teams, we'd often take our opening bowlers off and gift the oppo runs otherwise we couldn't get decent batting points chasing a small total.
    I think there's a good case for awarding maximum points for any successful run-chase, otherwise you do get anomalies like this.
  • League I used to play in was as follows:

Bowling first you'd get 1 point for every other wicket bowling and then 1 batting point at 89 runs short of target and an additional batting point every 10 runs, giving you maximum points (15) plus 10 for the win, so 25 points

Batting first you'd get no batting points, but you'd get a a point for each wickets and an additional point for every even wickets, again giving a maximum 15 bonus points and 25 points total for the win.

So if the team batting first get 89 or less then the team batting second already have bonus points, and if a team had less than 11 players then the last wicket could be worth a lot of points.

When I played at Wilmington we didn't have the strongest batting line up, so if we won the toss we'd always bowl first and try to restrict the opposition. Confident we'd get a decent number of wickets and then hopefully only have a low target, certainly not too far to get to the first batting point.
  • League I used to play in was as follows:

Bowling first you'd get 1 point for every other wicket bowling and then 1 batting point at 89 runs short of target and an additional batting point every 10 runs, giving you maximum points (15) plus 10 for the win, so 25 points

Batting first you'd get no batting points, but you'd get a a point for each wickets and an additional point for every even wickets, again giving a maximum 15 bonus points and 25 points total for the win.

So if the team batting first get 89 or less then the team batting second already have bonus points, and if a team had less than 11 players then the last wicket could be worth a lot of points.

When I played at Wilmington we didn't have the strongest batting line up, so if we won the toss we'd always bowl first and try to restrict the opposition. Confident we'd get a decent number of wickets and then hopefully only have a low target, certainly not too far to get to the first batting point.

Blimey. Was that in the "Duckworth Lewis Kent League"?

(Actually it doesn't sound too far away from the points system we play, which is still a complete mystery to me).