Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rolling Stones

55 years to the day today of first concert. Unbelievable longevity!

Comments

• What a life Jagger & Richards have had.
  • They probably can't remember much of it............
  • Greenie said:

The Greatest Rock n Roll band that will ever be.......ever!

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Not only are they without equal - they are so far ahead of any other band.
  • Any band been going for longer - The Beach Boys maybe?
  • Black Dyke Mills band .. 1855
  • Can't believe it's 5 years since their 50 year anniversary gigs. Those gigs were still as good as any they have done (at least that I have seen). Looking forward to their Lucca and Amsterdam gigs in September which I have managed to get tickets for.
  • I guess they will keep on playing gigs until one of Jagger/Richards/Watts can't do it any more. Could quite easily make it to 60th anniversary!
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess they will keep on playing gigs until one of Jagger/Richards/Watts can't do it any more. Could quite easily make it to 60th anniversary!

I think Ronnie deserves to be added to the list now - even I accept him as a Stone after 42 years!! Moreover, if Ronnie quit I don't think Keith would continue.
  • Just read that The Hollies are also celebrating their 55th anniversary this year as well - had no idea they had never stopped and were still going!
  • Even if people debate whether or not they are the best rock and roll band ever, I don't think anyone can debate Jagger is without doubt the best frontman in history
  • must admit, was never a Stones fan growing up, but i went to see them at Wembley Stadium for the Voodoo Lounge tour ? and they were absolutely brilliant - totally the best ever . Then about 4/5 years later i saw them at Twickenham, and they were so wooden you could have put their CD on.
  • Reading Keith Richards - Life, as we speak... amazing book, amazing history, thoroughly recommend.
  • I remember listening with my mate Peter Searle in the early 1960's to Rolling Stones first L.P.
    It was my earliest recollection of a rock and roll album.
    I still occasionally listen to the record and get a kick out of "Route 66" and stung by "King Bee".
    I saw the Stones live in Hyde Park in 1968 and again at Wembley for the Voodoo lounge tour.
    There's some good film on youtube of Stone's doing "Gimme Shelter" well worth a look.
    Greatest rock and roll band ever.
  • Even if people debate whether or not they are the best rock and roll band ever, I don't think anyone can debate Jagger is without doubt the best frontman in history

Apart from The Boss of course.
  • mascot88 said:

Reading Keith Richards - Life, as we speak... amazing book, amazing history, thoroughly recommend.

I've read it too, great read, thoroughly recommend it. What I found comes out through out the book, is it's always been about the music, never the fame and glory that kids want today, just the music. You get the feeling that even if the band hadn't been a hit, he'd still be writing and playing music somewhere.
  • mascot88 said:

Reading Keith Richards - Life, as we speak... amazing book, amazing history, thoroughly recommend.

I've read it too, great read, thoroughly recommend it. What I found comes out through out the book, is it's always been about the music, never the fame and glory that kids want today, just the music. You get the feeling that even if the band hadn't been a hit, he'd still be writing and playing music somewhere.
    Yes Agree, thats the feeling I got when I read it.
  • Postponed upcoming tour due to Mick being ill - hope it's nothing serious.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a great new netflix doc on about them and their south american tours, its called Ole Ole Ole
  • Postponed upcoming tour due to Mick being ill - hope it's nothing serious.
    Having treatment but expected to make full recovery the BBC have just said. 
  • Can’t believe the fella from Dartford is 75!
  • Can’t believe the fella from Dartford is 75!
    I doubt he can either
  • Surely one of them surely one of them is a Charlton fan?
  • I remember listening with my mate Peter Searle in the early 1960's to Rolling Stones first L.P. It was my earliest recollection of a rock and roll album. I still occasionally listen to the record and get a kick out of "Route 66" and stung by "King Bee". I saw the Stones live in Hyde Park in 1968 and again at Wembley for the Voodoo lounge tour. There's some good film on youtube of Stone's doing "Gimme Shelter" well worth a look. Greatest rock and roll band ever.
    I just bought some Stones vinyl of their really early stuff all recorded at the BBC in the 60's and onwards. The Blues influence on Richards and Jagger comes deep from the Delta. Great album.

• Heart valve replacement for Jagger. Hope he recovers soon.
  • Any band been going for longer - The Beach Boys maybe?
    The Searchers were formed in 1957 and finished in March of this year. They have reserved the right to come back for 'one offs.' 

Not as eminent as the Stones now of course but there was a short time around 1963/4 that they were vying to be number two group to The Beatles with the Stones, Gerry and the Pacemakers and The Hollies to name 3 of the groups about at the time.
  • edited April 2019
    From their website: "The Manfreds

Still touring in 2018 original Manfred Mann members Paul Jones, Mike D'abo, Mike Hugg and Tom McGuinness, are joined by Rob Townsend, Marcus Cliffe and Simon Currie as the exciting new line-up of The Manfreds... Manfred Mann formed in 1962..."

Several of them are also still going strong in the Blues Band, although when I saw them last year and Tom McG did a Hendrix-style guitar-behind-the-head solo, it seemed to take him about 10 seconds to get the guitar into position.

---

Good to hear Mick seems to be doing well, too.
  • From their website: "The Manfreds

Still touring in 2018 original Manfred Mann members Paul Jones, Mike D'abo, Mike Hugg and Tom McGuinness, are joined by Rob Townsend, Marcus Cliffe and Simon Currie as the exciting new line-up of The Manfreds... Manfred Mann formed in 1962..."

Several of them are also still going strong in the Blues Band, although when I saw them last year and Tom McG did a Hendrix-style guitar-behind-the-head solo, it seemed to take him about 10 seconds to get the guitar into position.

---

Good to hear Mick seems to be doing well, too.
    Seen the Manfreds a couple of times in the last few years.
    Always good value.
    Paul Jones still looks impossibly handsome at 75 but Mike D'Abo, his baby-faced replacement in 1966 now very much looking his age :)