Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Canada Day - 150 Years Old - July 1st - Canada Life Roll Call

Our amazing country celebrates its 150th Birthday tomorrow.

We are observing the 150th anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the British North America Act, which united the three separate colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick into a single Dominion within the British Empire called Canada.

I've lived here nearly 13 years & have barely scraped the surface of this vast, wild land. My kids are Canadian, with the accent and all. I love the country - it can be brutally cold in the winter & scorchingly hot in the summer & it's people are as diverse & multicultural as they come.

Canada has been a great friend to The UK - with huge contributions during both World Wars & a deep,rich contribution to everyday British life.

Anyway let's hear where fellow Charlton Lifers are celebrating with the rest of the Nation tomorrow from Oakster in Canmore, Alberta.

Comments

• It is quite controversial isn't it? There are those who see it as 150 years of theft of their land.
    How is that playing out in Canada?
  • "I drew a map of Canada with your face sketched on it twice"

• 150 years? Blink of an eye in one way, massive achievement in another. As a British person with celtic heritage it's nowt much to cheer about, however I've always like the Canadians - must be hard staying so normal next to that shitshow of a country down south :D
  • iainment said:

It is quite controversial isn't it? There are those who see it as 150 years of theft of their land.
    How is that playing out in Canada?

Yes there is absolutely that side to it & the issues with the First Nations people are deeply complex & troubled. I'm not sure what to say on ths - we live in probably one of the most beautiful, desirable towns in the land & yet 25km to the East is a reservation with enormous povery & social issues beyond comprehension.
  • Oakster said:

We are observing the 150th anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the British North America Act, which united the three separate colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick into a single Dominion within the British Empire called Canada.

I've lived here nearly 13 years & have barely scraped the surface of this vast, wild land. My kids are Canadian, with the accent and all. I love the country - it can be brutally cold in the winter & scorchingly hot in the summer & it's people are as diverse & multicultural as they come.

Canada has been a great friend to The UK - with huge contributions during both World Wars & a deep,rich contribution to everyday British life.

Anyway let's hear where fellow Charlton Lifers are celebrating with the rest of the Nation tomorrow from Oakster in Canmore, Alberta.

Just been looking at Canmore. What a beautiful place.
  • I live in Victoria BC, working at my hotel for the day then heading down to the legislature building's for concert and to sink a few cold ones. Should be a great day! Happy Canada 150. My second as a Canadian citizen!
  • stonemuse said:

Oakster said:

Just been looking at Canmore. What a beautiful place.
    The 1988 Winter Olympics put us on the map, before that it was a very, rough edged coal mining town - the mines are long gone although there are relics scattered everywhere on the landscape.
  • I live in Victoria BC, working at my hotel for the day then heading down to the legislature building's for concert and to sink a few cold ones. Should be a great day! Happy Canada 150. My second as a Canadian citizen!

Are you at the posh hotel (forget the name) that has the amazing curry buffet?
  • Oakster said:

I live in Victoria BC, working at my hotel for the day then heading down to the legislature building's for concert and to sink a few cold ones. Should be a great day! Happy Canada 150. My second as a Canadian citizen!

Are you at the posh hotel (forget the name) that has the amazing curry buffet?
    The Empress. Cool place.

• Sponsored links:

• My home country. Will be celebrating quietly tomorrow. Not yet perfect but much to love there. Won't ever give up my citizenship. Still, no CAFC in walking distance as I have here. Happy Canada Day to all!
  • edited June 2017
    Get yourself down to Trafalgar Square tomorrow for Canada day celebrations.. tip.. if you queue up to go into Canada house there may be free drinks inside
  • Canada gave the world Justin Beiber, Celine Dion and the hillerious not Mike Myers.

Bet you're more of a Katherine Ryan fan, eh Smudge?
  • Happy Canada Day or whatever it is to all you people.

Can still remember when @Oakster was leaving 13 years ago. Seems like a lifetime ago now mate. I have so many good people I like scattered in all four corners of the globe but circumstances dictate I can't visit them and as I get older and the thirst for travel grows, it's something I think about a lot.

Much love to you and your family @oakster mate. Top bloke
  • Happy Canada Day or whatever it is to all you people.

Can still remember when @Oakster was leaving 13 years ago. Seems like a lifetime ago now mate. I have so many good people I like scattered in all four corners of the globe but circumstances dictate I can't visit them and as I get older and the thirst for travel grows, it's something I think about a lot.

Much love to you and your family @oakster mate. Top bloke

Well thank you AFKA & the same to you :-) - always great to see the latest adventures of your boys - great times & what life is really all about I think! This would be an amazing adventure for them if you ever get over here - I think I might have missed @Dave21 (are you still in Banff?) - but i would always be happy to show Charlton mates the very best of the magnificent Canadian Rockies.
  • Oh Canada!!

Fitting that the first Tim hortons in the U.K. Is opening today, sadly it's in Glasgow though.

Happy Canada day one and all.
  • @Oakster - I'm at the Coast, by Fishermans wharf. The Empress is indeed a grand old hotel. They've actually just undergone some pretty major renovations so is looking amazing inside.
  • I love Canada and Canadians. Literally never met one I didn't like. Lovely people, beautiful country. Happy Canada day!
  • I discovered how fantastic Canada is when it was too late to do something about it.
    I'd move to Calgary tomorrow if i could.
  • Absolutely loved my time there.

Would return to live in a heartbeat.

Happy Canada Day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Canada gave the world Justin Beiber, Celine Dion and the hillerious not Mike Myers.

Arcade Fire and Death from Above so they're all right by me.

Off to Trafalgar Square later for the Canada day celebrations.

How many canadains have played for Charlton?

Why dont Canada play cricket like the rest of the commonwealth?
    Not sure of any from your first question.

Regarding the second, Canada had a couple of things happening that impeded the popularity of cricket - firstly the undeniable influence on our culture from the US & hence the popularity of basketball a game actually invented in Canada), Baseball & Gridiron. Secondly the much more diverse nature of immigration into this country - not only Brits, but Germans, Italians, Portuguese, Icelanders, Chinese, Japanese, Latinos - this helped to dilute Britishness & also eradicate the old British class structure(thankfully!)

It is still played here extensively, every major city has a thriving cricket scene - the vast majority of players are of India, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan & Carribean descent.

So presently Ice Hockey is our No. 1 sport but the ridiculous cost and time commitment is driving kids away from this & football will be the eventual winner.
  • edited July 2017
    Oakster said:

Yeah, they also like clubbing seals to death, nice country!
  • Happy canada day to the lifers out there

I won a sales incentive back in 2009 to go out to our Toronto office for a week

It was a lovely week weather wise. Think I came in the time there was a bank holiday Monday in August. I remember a Caribbean theme to the day or something

I went up to Niagara Falls, the village of niagara and went to Dan ackroyd's vineyard

A couple of good meals down by the lake in the evening

Really good place

Have a good friend in Vancouver - will try and get over there next summer
  • Been to Canmore many times Oakster have been all over Canada
    Love Nova Scotia and PEI, have to say Canmore is my favorite place to stay when in Alberta, it does not have the hustle and bustle of Banff up the road.

It has some great places to eat and drink always try to be up there when the Highland Games are on the wife loves the place.
    Our friends have a big ranch out in Cochrane so it is Convenient and a straight run down the road to Calgary Airport.

• edited July 2017
    Been to a lot of the big cities - Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Banff, Vancouver. Would love to explore more. Canmore does look beautiful.

Canada is definitely a richly diverse and vast country with some great people. They don't always like to put their hand in their pocket though
  • Sort of gutted I left a few months ago. Sounds like a great piss up

Canada gave the world Justin Beiber, Celine Dion and the hillerious not Mike Myers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_national_cricket_team