Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oyster card travel detail help needed?

edited August 2008 in Not Sports Related
Have just got an oyster card today and will be travelling to Newcastle on Friday.

I Usually buy a 1 day travel card all zones when travelling, so an oyster card is all new to me.

I know lots of you are regular commuters so i would like your advice on this.

I Will be going from Mottingham to North Greenwich zone 3 to Kings cross zone 1 how much do i need to pay on my oyster to use the bus and tube,will it be cheaper than a 1 day travel card, if so how much will it cost and what do i ask for.

Thanks for any Advice.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    As long as there are oyster turnstiles at mottingham station (or the bus you are using) the oyster will default to the cheapest fare i.e. The total of your One way legs between Mottingham and Kings Cross or a 1 day Travelcard
  • Think you better wait until MCS is around. Knows the trains like the back of his hand ;-)
  • edited August 2008
    lol Lookout

Oyster won't work for you if you intend to take the mainline- use a travel card instead.

if you are taking the bus to North G then it will work but the cost of your travelcard is the max you will pay on the oyster card so it won't save you anything unless you make a single journey there and a single journey back.

Clear as mud!

Ok- read the post stan- doh!

it would be cheeper to use the travelcard if you were coming back on the same day- presume not though.
  • edited August 2008
    Badger - assuming you're getting the 161 to North Greenwich and the Tube from there, it'll be much less than a one-day travelcard. Buses are 90p on Oyster, Tube fare from North Greenwich to Kings Cross is £2 at most on Oyster. You can fill your Oyster with money at newsagents to save you pissing about at the station. You'll never pay more than the cost of a travelcard if you use Oyster, basically (there's a price cap which I think is 50p less than the cost of a one-day travelcard).

Remember that pay-as-you-go Oysters aren't valid on mainline trains in southeast London until at least next summer.

Here's the full guide: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/2930.aspx
  • Have just got an oyster card today and will be travelling to Newcastle on Friday.

"I Usually buy a 1 day travel card all zones when travelling, so an oyster card is all new to me.

I know lots of you are regular commuters so i would like your advice on this.

I Will be going from Mottingham to North Greenwich zone 3 to Kings cross zone 1 how much do i need to pay on my oyster to use the bus and tube,will it be cheaper than a 1 day travel card, if so how much will it cost and what do i ask for.

Thanks for any Advice. "

Just to clarify, we were relegated more than 1 year ago and we are away to Watford on Saturday not Newcastle. I believe you were away not so long ago. :-)