Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

edited May 2017 in General Charlton
What to do about our keeper situation. We lost an above average one back to Norwich.

I've heard we might get Martin on a free. He is 31, so he has maybe 1-2 more good years. At most. His old club does not want him back, which seems to be a "hint" to me.

Dillon Phillips is just 21. That's like a striker at age 17. Young.

But he killed it last year for Chesterfield with 12 clean sheets in 36 games.

Feels like he is 1-2 years away but his contract ends in 2 years and he has said he refuses to be on the bench. He is tall (1.88) and seems very good. Rumour is he is on his way out. But if we start him right now, it might cost us 6 or more table points per year as he "matures."

Or, maybe it won't and we should start him.

What do we do, here? Any thoughts?

Comments

• That IS a great name for a band!
  • I seriously doubt that Martin would bother signing here or anywhere without being given the job beforehand.

He is at the end of his career and he ain't liklely to be willing to battle for the job, when he can just sign somewhere else and play, right off.
  • edited May 2017

If Martin is only 31, he's got more than 2 years left! Some bloke at Juventus is nearly 40!

We need a decent experienced keeper, we can't just rely on a 21/22 year old with some token backup. No way can we go in to a season with a 21 year old as undisputed first choice, who's only full season as No1 was at Cheltenham in the National League

So you would lose Dillon and possibly 10 years of a promising keeper, just so we do better in 2017-18?

Cuz Dillion said he is off if he doesn't play. Although maybe he would accept one more year playing elsewhere. Perhaps bump him to a solid L2 club and see how he does?

• If Martin is only 31, he's got more than 2 years left! Some bloke at Juventus is nearly 40!

We need a decent experienced keeper, we can't just rely on a 21/22 year old with some token backup. No way can we go in to a season with a 21 year old as undisputed first choice, who's only full season as No1 was at Cheltenham in the National League

I'm not saying that I disagree with you per se, or that Phillips is of a similar calibre (though our level of competition is lower), but David de Gea's career suggests that a young keeper can be no. 1.

I think Phillips needs to be offered at least the opportunity to establish himself as our first choice keeper, or there'll be no quandary, because he'll be off.

• I'm not saying that I disagree with you per se, or that Phillips is of a similar calibre (though our level of competition is lower), but David de Gea's career suggests that a young keeper can be no. 1.

I think Phillips needs to be offered at least the opportunity to establish himself as our first choice keeper, or there'll be no quandary, because he'll be off.

I think you've convinced me.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Rudd was better than Phillips and no way at age 31 is Martin past it, he's probably got a good 4-5 years left as a keeper. And how do we know MK Dons don't want to keep Martin on?

That's not to say Phillips isn't good enough but I don't think he's good enough to be supposedly in a postion of demanding first team football or he's off.

A keeper with Championship experience or National League experience, think i'd prefer Martin.
  • It isn't just because your name is Martin, is it? ;-)

I suspect the reason Dons don't want him is that his contract is up and they have not signed him.

• I'm not sure if I've asked this before but did Dillon Philips play in the same preseason friendly against Brighton at the withdean when Shelvey made his 1st team debut? I thought Shelvey was 16 when he played that day?
  • If Martin is only 31, he's got more than 2 years left! Some bloke at Juventus is nearly 40!

I'm not saying that I disagree with you per se, or that Phillips is of a similar calibre (though our level of competition is lower), but David de Gea's career suggests that a young keeper can be no. 1.

Jordan Pickford?
  • From what I've seen he seems a good keeper, ideally we'd buy a number 2 like Martin who can fill in if Phillips is out of form/injured etc
  • For me Dillon is and should be our No1
  • Dillon was harshly dropped last year in my opinion. Sure he made a few mistakes but what keeper doesn't, let alone a young keeper learning his trade?

No1 for me.
  • Play him. The league we are in will be better for him to sharpen up.

He can only be as good as the defence he controls - and we were pants last season.

Jordan Pickford?
    Pickford is 23 now and has masses of FL experience already. He also has England caps at all age groups, which Dillon doesn't have

So you would lose Dillon and possibly 10 years of a promising keeper, just so we do better in 2017-18?

Cuz Dillion said he is off if he doesn't play. Although maybe he would accept one more year playing elsewhere. Perhaps bump him to a solid L2 club and see how he does?

I understand your argument but, under this regime, if Dillon does maintain any sort of form we won't keeping him 10 years. Half a season perhaps until an acceptable offer comes in.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Personally i'd feel a bit pissed off if we let Phillips go who could be our number 1 for 10 years or more but if he's going to throw a strop if he's not first choice then it's unlikely he'll win. Ultimately there are very few keepers around who can be demanding first team football at 21.

Can we not offer a compromise, say we really rate him, but it's possibly 1 year too soon, loan him to a league 2 side and see how he gets on. If he does well he's back with us next year as first choice.
  • cafc999 said:

Dillon was harshly dropped last year in my opinion. Sure he made a few mistakes but what keeper doesn't, let alone a young keeper learning his trade?

No1 for me.

Phillips was dropped because Rudd was fit again. That was always going to happen, he could have played like Superman and Dean Kiely all wrapped in to one and he would still get dropped. Rudd was loaned, costing the club money and was always going to play when fit.

I wouldn't blame Phillips if he was looking for No.1 or else he's off. By all accounts he was well underpaid for too long, that can't help matters. Question is, does he expect the quid pro quo for sitting quietly while Rudd took his place to be the No.1 jersey this season?
  • An older keeper to work with and learn from is my thinking, and then play when form and injury merits.
  • What to do about our keeper situation. We lost an above average one back to Norwich.

I've heard we might get Martin on a free. He is 31, so he has maybe 1-2 more good years. At most. His old club does not want him back, which seems to be a "hint" to me.

Feels like he is 1-2 years away but his contract ends in 2 years and he has said he refuses to be on the bench. He is tall (1.88) and seems very good. Rumour is he is on his way out. But if we start him right now, it might cost us 6 or more table points per year as he "matures."

When did he play for Chesterfield?
  • all well and good having a 21/22 year old keeper until he starts having howlers - all keepers have them and if hes got a wank defence like ours then it could ruin him.
  • De Gea handled his early howlers quite well in the end.
  • What to do about our keeper situation. We lost an above average one back to Norwich.

When did he play for Chesterfield?
    He meant Cheltenham.
  • If the club is serious about promotion it will get a decent alternative and play the best one. Phillips has 2 years left, tell him to sit and wait his chance and then take it and be clear that when it comes, if he takes it he won't be dropped when the other bloke comes back.

If we are happy in lower to mid League One then take a punt on a young keeper and don't bring in back up. Pat yourself on the back if it works and he is great and shrug your shoulders if it doesn't and you are stuck without a loan system to resolve.
  • Put him in, sign an experienced backup David Forde perhaps but play Phillips