Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Little Sister - Elvis Presley v Ry Cooder

Two versions of the same song by different artists. Listen without prejudice and say which you prefer and why.

No other versions and no Cannon St drunken rants for so called responsible adults

So which to do you prefer? The 1961 Elvis rockabilly original or the 1979 Ry Cooder R & B cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGGmOf_zdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlvia6f8VOs

Comments

• Ry Cooder all day long, the harmonies and groove are excellent. Presley's is just awful.
    IMO the King of Rock N Roll was Little Richard, Presley was just a 1950's Rick Astley.
  • Greenie said:

Ry Cooder all day long, the harmonies and groove are excellent. Presley's is just awful.
    IMO the King of Rock N Roll was Little Richard, Presley was just a 1950's Rick Astley.

A view I'm sure will be eagerly discussed on here very soon.
  • Greenie said:

Ry Cooder all day long, the harmonies and groove are excellent. Presley's is just awful.

A view I'm sure will be eagerly discussed on here very soon.
    Yes no doubt H.
  • Greenie said:

Ha Ha.
  • edited May 2017
    I agree with Greenie with my vote landing on Ry Cooder.
  • Ry Cooder for me.
  • Not getting involved.....
  • DA9 said:

Not getting involved.....

boo
  • Two versions of the same song by different artists. Listen without prejudice and say which you prefer and why.

No other versions and no Cannon St drunken rants for so called responsible adults

So which to do you prefer? The 1961 Elvis rockabilly original or the 1979 Ry Cooder R & B cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGGmOf_zdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlvia6f8VOs

Stretching it to call it rockabilly, great stroller for the ladies though.
  • Not a song I like that much, but Presley is the better version, prefer his vocals.
  • Sponsored links:

• I prefer Elvis' vocals, but I like the harmonies on the Ry Cooder version.
  • Ry Cooder by a country mile.
  • Oddly enough I was discussing this song just today with a couple of my guests who turned up at breakfast with two Thai sisters, one much younger than the other and was following in her big sister's footsteps!

Anyway, both versions have their merits but in this case it's really an issue of what style of music you prefer and Ry Cooder wins for me, with a slight reggae beat and excellent harmonies, whereas the other version is really just another typical Elvis song from that particular era.
  • Ry Coooooooooooooooooooder for me, I like a drop of Ry.
  • edited May 2017
    I do like Elvis but this is not one of his best - Ry Cooder wins this one,
  • Hadn't heard of either versions before. I own one Elvis 'best of' type album and can see why this song doesn't feature on it. Both versions easily forgettable, but Elvis just edges it for me.
  • Oddly enough I was discussing this song just today with a couple of my guests who turned up at breakfast with two Thai sisters, one much younger than the other and was following in her big sister's footsteps!

Anyway, both versions have their merits but in this case it's really an issue of what style of music you prefer and Ry Cooder wins for me, with a slight reggae beat and excellent harmonies, whereas the other version is really just another typical Elvis song from that particular era.

How old were the guests?
  • Not a fan of the actual song.
    Not one of the best Elvis vocals, and despite a great effort by Scotty Moore, the vocals are what Elvis is all about.
    marginally Ry Cooder I suppose.
  • Nice bit of guitar on the Elvis one, I'll go for that. Ray cooder one sounds like live music played in a bar in the costa del sol ca. 1992
  • Sponsored links:

• I prefer The Ry Cooder version, but am a big Elvis fan
  • The Elvis version is typical of the material he was recording at the time, a lot of movie (although this wasn't in a movie) type lightweight songs, and he never really recorded probably again until 68/69 in a studio, the rest being movie soundtracks albums, formulaic and money spinners, but critically slammed.
    One of the better ones from the era.

FYI, he only ever won one Grammy in his lifetime, for a gospel album.
  • Ry Cooder for me.
  • DA9 said:

The Elvis version is typical of the material he was recording at the time, a lot of movie (although this wasn't in a movie) type lightweight songs, and he never really recorded probably again until 68/69 in a studio, the rest being movie soundtracks albums, formulaic and money spinners, but critically slammed.
    One of the better ones from the era.

FYI, he only ever won one Grammy in his lifetime, for a gospel album.

Interesting, didn't know that, quite surprising.
  • Ry Cooder for me as well.
  • Ry Cooder (on the album Bop Till You Drop which is excellent)
  • Ry Cooder (on the album Bop Till You Drop which is excellent)

Very good album.
  • Curb_It said:

Oddly enough I was discussing this song just today with a couple of my guests who turned up at breakfast with two Thai sisters, one much younger than the other and was following in her big sister's footsteps!

Your first sentence needs further clarification.
    Just use your imagination!
  • Hadn't heard the song before, and to be honest didn't really like either, but of the two I preferred the Elvis version.
  • Ry Cooder from here.