Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Planet Swans

Have really enjoyed the banter on here guys and girls, good to speak with supporters about football without the usual rubbish, if you fancy a bit of banter with some more of my Jacks then the following site is a good one, quite a wide range of users and differing opinions. Not as all refined as my good self mind you. lol. Worth a look maybe, be good to have more supporters on there from other teams, its fairly new ( used to be Jackarmy.net ) until we got fed up with rivals new layout. We are just used to having Cardiff, Leeds and now Derby on there although we have one Charlton supporter on there "reamsofverse" from another board I believe.

http://www.planetswans.co.uk/default.aspx

Comments

• Oi ya welsh sheep

just kidding

what's with the Jack then
  • Swansea Jack (1930 - October 1937) was a famous dog whose name lives on in the nickname given to natives of Swansea, Wales.

Many people believe that this stems from the famous dog of that name. Others claim that the derivation is from the nickname given to Swansea's sailors, who had a reputation as skilled and dependable mariners. Another theory is that the coal miners of nearby coalfields called the miners from Swansea "Jacks" because their lunch-boxes were uniquely made of Swansea tin and called Jacks. A noted pub in Swansea is also named Swansea Jack, in honour of the dog.

The dog, Swansea Jack, was a flat-coated retriever born in 1930. He lived in the North Dock / River Tawe area of Swansea with his master, William Thomas. Jack would always respond to cries for help from the water, diving into the water and pulling whoever was in difficulty to safety at the dockside.

His first rescue, in June 1931, when he saved a 12-year-old boy, went unreported. A few weeks later, this time in front of a crowd, Jack rescued a swimmer from the docks. His photograph appeared in the local paper and the local council awarded him a silver collar. In 1936, he had the prestigious 'Bravest Dog of the Year' award bestowed upon him by the London Star newspaper.

He received a silver cup from the Lord Mayor of London and he is still the only dog to have been awarded two bronze medals ('the canine V.C.') by the National Canine Defence League (now known as Dogs Trust). Legend has it that in his lifetime he saved 27 people from the Docks / River Tawe. Swansea Jack died in October 1937 after eating rat poison. His burial monument, paid for by public subscription, is located on the Promenade in Swansea near St. Helen's Rugby Ground. In 2000, Swansea Jack was named 'Dog of the Century' by NewFound Friends of Bristol who train domestic dogs in aquatic rescue techniques.
  • I see - thanks for the history lesson.

I'll be over soon for a bit of banter. Ignore that reamsofverse bloke he's trouble LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: jrejack[/cite]We are just used to having Cardiff, Leeds and now Derby on there although we have one Charlton supporter on there "reamsofverse" from another board I believe.

http://www.planetswans.co.uk/default.aspx

So hello to Reamsy for me ;o)