Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

top 5 songs of ... The Smiths

edited July 2008 in Not Sports Related
I'll bypass the first big 3 singles (This Charming Man/Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now/What Difference Does It Make?) - to avoid being too predictable

5. Bigmouth Strikes Again - Morrissey empathises with Joan of Arc and takes up an interest in hearing aids

4. Asleep - haunting, suicidal music

3. How Soon Is Now - a classic, but not really a typical Smiths song, wonderful guitar work from Marr

2. Suffer Little Children - pop music tackling the Moors Murderers - this was incredible, challenging stuff! Woolies in their ignorance banned it I think.

1. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - classic Smiths, a real beauty

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Heres mine.................
  • agree with you Brunello good choice.....smiths a marmite band
  • 1: William it was really nothing

2: How soon is now

3: This charming man

4: There's a light that never goes out

5: Big mouth strikes again

So many though, very hard to choose a top 5
  • Err....

Twice in two days I've agreed with Brunello. Worrying ; - )
  • edited July 2008
    good description - a Marmite band!

Most good new music could hopefully be described as such, if it wasn't for talented artists (often British eg. Bowie) prepared to break new ground we'd be left having to suffer even more insipid lowest common denominator rubbish like C*ldplay (also British unfortunately).

The Smiths aren't going to appeal to a lot of people which makes them all the better! Amazing music and lyrics that have never been equalled.
  • How soon is now?

That joke isn't funny any more

Hand in Glove

Pretty Girls Make Graves

Panic
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Err....

I knew I could drag you down to my level eventually
  • The Smiths - as relevant to the music industry in the 80's as the Sex Pistols in the 70's, the Beatles in the 60's, awesome band, very clever lyrics and Morrissey is a genius, IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Err....

I knew I could drag you down to my level eventually

LOL, I feel dirty all over but I'm quite enjoying it.
  • Panic

There is a light that never goes out

Bigmouth strikes again

How soon is now

The queen is dead

And I know it's Morrissey solo but have to mention Irish Blood, English Heart
  • Sponsored links:

• Could not agree more DA9 - maybe we should organise a tribute night! For me as follows.

1. The Queen is Dead
    2. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore.
    3. The Headmaster Ritual.
    4. How Soon is Now?
    5. Shakespeare's Sister.

But there are many, many more - even a load of the solo stuff could warrant a top 5 too.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

And I know it's Morrissey solo but have to mention Irish Blood, English Heart

Saw him do that live at V festival on TV the other week, a little breathless, but what a performance, was longing for National Front disco.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rock Spectacle[/cite]Could not agree more DA9 - maybe we should organise a tribute night! For me as follows.

1. The Queen is Dead
    2. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore.
    3. The Headmaster Ritual.
    4. How Soon is Now?
    5. Shakespeare's Sister.

But there are many, many more - even a load of the solo stuff could warrant a top 5 too.

I wonder if Tom would allow it, will have to google smiths tribute bands!!!

Not forgetting the quirky Frankly Mr Shankly (your a pain in the arse) from the Queen Is dead album
  • Very tempted to go to this tonight.

http://www.thesmyths.net/gigsmenu.htm
  • Tribute night would be a great idea !
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Tribute night would be a great idea !

I'll contact a few of the tribute bands on the net, I'm sure me & rock spectacle can persuade the cons club to hold one, rock knows 80's musicians personally :-)
  • Quite tricky, but here goes - tried to pick only one per album

This night has opened my eyes (Hatful of Hollow version - another song about shame and abortion)
    Unloveable
    A rush and a push....
    The queen is dead
    The headmaster ritual

Run out of spaces!
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Tribute night would be a great idea !

I've had one price in, waiting for two more, could be workable.
  • The Smiths, great band & great lyrics.

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now should be the anthem for Charlton Life match postings.

;o)
  • Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
    How Soon Is Now?
    William It Was Really Nothing
    Shoplifters Of The World Unite
    Bigmouth Strikes Again
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2008
    How soon is now
    Shoplifters
    Panic
    There is a light
    Bigmouth.

Solo Morrissey:

Last of the International Playboys
    Irish Blood
    First of the gang to Die
    The More you Ignore Me, the Closer I Get
    You Have Killed Me
  • Irish Blood is a good un

How soon is now could have been released last week it is pretty timeless
  • William

Girlfriend in a coma

Heaven knows I'm miserable

Sheila Take a bow

How soon is now...

Blimey I'm off to get the records out and play them tonight. I saw them at Brixton when they were at
    the height of their powers - it was an awesome evening....
  • edited July 2008
    1. There is a light ...... Has my favourite lyrics of ANY song......"And if a double decker bus crashes into us"

2. This charming man.

3. William it was really nothing

4. Panic

5. Girlfriend in a Coma
  • 1) There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    2) How Soon Is Now?
    3) What Difference Does It Make?
    4) I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
    5) Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

A couple of my friends got married on something of a budget, so to save having to hire a DJ they hooked up the groom's laptop to some speakers for the incidental music during the meal and for the party afterwards. We'd sorted out a playlist of reasonably mainstream stuff to keep most people happy, but towards the end of the evening the indie stuff got an airing. There were a few raised eyebrows when The Wonder Stuff's "It's Just Yer Money I'm After Baby" was played, but the look on the barman's face was a picture when the happy couple and a few others launched into "and if a ten ton truck kills the both of us, to die by your side, well the pleasure, the privilege is mine" at the tops of our voices.
  • That sickens me, they really plugged a laptop into speakers for a wedding??????

Wasn't Medders' wedding was it?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The Smiths, great band & great lyrics.

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Nowshould be the anthem for Charlton Life match postings.

;o)

You know it Oggy!
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]1. There is a light ...... Has my favourite lyrics of ANY song......"And if a double decker bus should crush the both of us"
    ****** PEDANT ALERT ******

It's actually "and if a double-decker bus, crashes into us". Still a top, top line though.

****** PEDANT ALERT ******
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]That sickens me, they really plugged a laptop into speakers for a wedding??????

Wasn't Medders' wedding was it?

Nope, wasn't Medders' wedding. It was a pretty small do, only about 40 or 50 guests, and the function room was only slightly bigger than my sister's living room (which is 2 rooms knocked into one, but not exactly enormous). A proper DJ rig would've taken up too much room, and the setup we had was perfectly adequate for the space.
  • There Is A Light
    Franky Mr Shankly
    Sweet & Tender Hooligan
    London
    Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now