Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Investment advice

Now that the property market has crashed what is the best way to invest?

Comments

• Invest your time on Charlton and being depressed, thats what I do!
  • online peer to peer lending
  • Give me your bank details and I guarantee you will be £5million richer this time next week. I have a contact who works in a Nigerian Bank and one of his best clients is a tribal prince who is desperate to get his cash out of the country. Whisper me with your details - we don't want any old Tom, Dick or Djimi getting in on this action.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]we don't want any old Tom, Dick or Djimi getting in on this action.

Quality Offy
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Give me your bank details and I guarantee you will be £5million richer this time next week. I have a contact who works in a Nigerian Bank and one of his best clients is a tribal prince who is desperate to get his cash out of the country. Whisper me with your details - we don't want any old Tom, Dick or Djimi getting in on this action.[/quote]

He`s only a new poster and I`m skint and prepared to help, so let me, go on you know you want to!!
    P.S this is totally genuine isnt it? your not just scamming ;-)
  • Wind energy.
  • Clarrie the Cat was saying invest in gold in the old NetAddicks days (which is actually a prophecy that has come true...)

Gold is always a safe bet. Mining and steel production stocks seem to be reasonably safe (considering the growth in demand coming from India & China), or you've got oil/gas...I probably don't need to explain that one!
  • [cite]Posted By: alex jones[/cite]Now that the property market has crashed what is the best way to invest?

The only thing to do at present and for the near short term future is to stay in cash and ensure you are not over exposed (£30k) to one bank.
  • Copper,aluminium and steel next five years will only go up and up. People just cant understand how big the Chinese race for developement is.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Copper,aluminium and steel next five years will only go up and up. People just cant understand how big the Chinese race for developement is.

I doubt it very much. If the depression in the economies of the developed world continues for much longer commodity prices will fall quicker than they went up.As for China there is growing evidence of a slowdown in growth highlighted by three consecutive months of lower inflation, a trend I expect to continue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gold of course.... ;-)
  • copper rose in price by 70% even with a slow down over here the rate of developement and thirst for raw materials will not mean a significant slow in the China area.
    If you have savings in a medium term saving plan you will get 8/10% return .Over 5 years invested in copper ? maybe 20% minium, possibly much more.
    Its not the developed world that is driving the price of commodities. Slow down against what ? the rate of econmic growth in China dwarfs anything else.

The thing is if you have spare cash then there is alot of money to be made in a recession(sic). Its a case of where , what and timing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]copper rose in price by 70% even with a slow down over here the rate of developement and thirst for raw materials will not mean a significant slow in the China area.
    If you have savings in a medium term saving plan you will get 8/10% return .Over 5 years invested in copper ? maybe 20% minium, possibly much more.
    Its not the developed world that is driving the price of commodities. Slow down against what ? the rate of econmic growth in China dwarfs anything else.

The thing is if you have spare cash then there is alot of money to be made in a recession(sic). Its a case of where , what and timing.

You are right when you say the developed world is not driving commodity prices but a further turn down in its economy will have a major effect. I expect oil for instance to be $80/$90 this time next year.
  • Cash is king...

Then look to buy banking shares in around a few weeks/months.
  • Brun hope your right re oil some are saying it has a good 15% more to rise yet.

It also depends on how you invest in copper etc. Some mining compaines shares are not going up some have rocketed.
  • Gold?

Oh no, not again, pleeeeeease
  • Wow, Gold has trippled in price in five years.
    Do you think it will go higher?
  • Im not on a wind up .
  • Gold and mining apparently, probably solar as well all are in big demand
  • When the man in the street thinks something is guaranteed to go up it will definitely go down. Fact.
  • Sponsored links:

• thats my point the man on the street doesnt have this on his radar yet.
  • [cite]Posted By: alex jones[/cite]thats my point the man on the street doesnt have this on his radar yet.

You are joking aren't you?
  • nothing is guaranteed, and probably won't make as much as those who knew about it before however doesn't mean its going to go down..
  • steel and copper are doing well
  • some people might say property is quite a good bet or will be shortly particularly in good areas which might be briefly undervalued. I think it will bounce back, but you probably won't see the ridiculous levels of growth all over the UK as prevoiusly.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]some people might say property is quite a good bet or will be shortly particularly in good areas which might be briefly undervalued. I think it will bounce back, but you probably won't see the ridiculous levels of growth all over the UK as prevoiusly.

Long term property is a sound investment and has been for many years.

Not quite sure that the "property market has crashed". Seems like a much needed levelling out of a over heated market IMHO.
  • My house is worth 300% more than i paid for it 12 years back. Even if the market drops 20% its still been a great investment.
  • edited July 2008
    Why is this being sunk? Its the most interesting thread for a while and the first one I know anything about as i know nothing about football.
  • unless you speak to a FSA regulated advisor.......take everything with a pinch of salt.

Before any advice is given the FULL details of you & your current/future history needs to be known -
    something which may be good for one person might not suit another.

advice is personalised - so unless the advice giver knows your EXACT requiremnets, forget it.
  • edited July 2008
    Agree 100% with Brunello. Sticking your toe in commodities is a mugs game now. Most of the people on here giving you advice were the same numpties buying into the property myth a couple of years ago (why TwoSheds got such abuse i've no idea). The only sure bet is that Labour will lose control of both inflation (deliberate policy) and the pound. If you accept this then your investment strategy is clear.

S.

btw Alex you sound like the shoe shine boy giving stock tips and there's a moral to that story.