Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Missing money

Three people go into a second-hand shop. They have ten quid each. They see television they want to buy. So one of them asks the shop assistant how much it is. "Thirty quid!" he says. They each give him ten pounds, he puts it in the till, they pick up the tv and leave the shop.

The owner of the shop comes back from his lunch break and asks the assistant if he has sold anything.
"Yes!" he says, "that old telly"
"How much for?"
"Thirty pounds"
"That's not right. It should have been twenty-five pounds. Go and find whoever bought it and give them five quid back".

The assistant takes five, one-pound coins out of the till and runs off up the road after the customers. Eventually he catches up with them. He explains he's going to give them some money back. He gives the first one a pound coin; he gives the second one a pound coin; and he gives the third one a pound coin. That leaves him with two pound coins, which he sticks in his back pocket and keeps.

Each of the three customers has paid nine pounds. That's £27 in total. Plus the two quid in the assistant's pocket, it comes to £29.

Where is the other pound?

Comments

• Fucking hell, Chizz.

You're well ruining my productivity here.
  • edited January 2017
    Hold up.

30 - 5 = 25. (For the till)
    ------------------
    25 + 3 = 28 (£1 reimbursement x3)
    28 + 2 = 30 (Assistants pocket)

It adds up. Why didn't add up for the first 3 minutes I sat staring at it?!

----
    Edit. Oh FFS. No.

3 × 9 = 27
    30 - 27 = 3.

I'm having a mare here.
  • Jeremy Kyle lie detector.
  • .....I mean the NHS
  • edited January 2017
    customers have paid £9.33 each for the telly.

is

£27.99 round up to £28 plus the £2 in the assistans pocket is 30 there is no missing money.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've seen this before. You can't add the 2 to the 27 because that's already been included in the 3*9.

So it works out exactly as @LuckyReds has said:

£25 for the shop
    £3 refund
    £2 that the staff took.
  • Last season, I would have said look down the back of the sofa.
  • Thought this was a thread about Roland Duchatelet.
  • You're forgetting second-hand tax.
  • I've seen this before. You can't add the 2 to the 27 because that's already been included in the 3*9.

£25 for the shop
    £3 refund
    £2 that the staff took.

That's a complete ball buster, it now makes perfect sense though...

3 x £10 = £30 ; Original payment of £10 each
    - £3 = £27 ; After refund of £1 each
    - £2 = £25 ; After Shop Assistant taking £2
    - £25 = £0 ; After the £25 payment for the TV
  • The TV cost £27....... £25 + the £2 the dodgy shopkeeper has.
    The lads spent £27.....3×£9 so there is no missing quid just a nice dose of misdirection by the OP
  • ease up Chizz, little diversion every now and again is welcome but this is meant to primarily be a football site not Riddles Anonymous

If you can't work it out just say so. ;0)

• *shakes head at Chizz's intellectual dishonesty and misleading questions*

Honestly, you'd have thought you were a Tory, what with all this cloak and dagger stuff... ;)
  • All good businesses these days make a surcharge for selling on a Saturday. I bet that's where the money went.
  • PaddyP17 said:

*shakes head at Chizz's intellectual dishonesty and misleading questions*

Honestly, you'd have thought you were a Tory, what with all this cloak and dagger stuff... ;)

A lot of people say that. And they're usually very grateful for the NHS the following morning.
  • Sponsored links:

£25 for the shop
    £3 refund
    £2 that the staff took.

I posted it on here years ago!

£25 for the shop
    £3 refund
    £2 that the staff took.

I posted it on here years ago!
    Looking at your username I now know where the missing pound went.
  • I wanna know where you can buy a TV for £30!!
  • They paid £9 each for the tv because the shop assistant robbed them of 66p each.

No missing £1.
  • edited January 2017
    Yeah...a cheeky one. Stacey Dooley will investigate.

But more importantly how many black socks does everyone have? :wink:
  • The cube root of 27 is 3. 30 divided by 3 is 10. 29 less 9 is 20 when divided by 4 (you must include the shopkeeper) is 5. There were 3 people that clubbed together. 3 + 20 + 5 + 3 = 31. Now there's an extra pound.
  • £25.00 for a TV!!! Where's the Shop??
  • I wanna know where you can buy a TV for £30!!

Onlyme said:

£25.00 for a TV!!! Where's the Shop??

Get you own terrible jokes!! ;)
  • undisclosed