Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited January 2017
    like Aintree many years ago .. housing in that area will go for a fortune .. and at least Sandown is not TOO far away from Kempton ... BUT, the plan is to build another all weather track with the Kempton cash .. another nail in NH's coffin, indeed in turf racing as a whole's coffin
  • The amount of grounds there and the location mean that will be worth silly amounts.
  • 300,000 new residents in the U.K. EVERY year.
    They have to live somewhere.

Quite right. I think all racecourses and football grounds should make way for housing and all pubs should become churches or Tesco Express's. Then we can have a country where we just live and shop. Sporting and social entertainment ? Who needs it.
  • edited January 2017

300,000 new residents in the U.K. EVERY year.

Quite right. I think all racecourses and football grounds should make way for housing and all pubs should become churches or Tesco Express's. Then we can have a country where we just live and shop. Sporting and social entertainment? Who needs it.
    Especially after this Saturday coming!

Quite right. I think all racecourses and football grounds should make way for housing and all pubs should become churches or Tesco Express's. Then we can have a country where we just live and shop. Sporting and social entertainment? Who needs it.
    Especially after this Saturday coming!
    You know it ! Meire Mews, anyone ?
  • Sad news about Kempton Park. Had one of my three winners there
  • Brunello said:

Sad news about Kempton Park. Had one of my three winners there

It's a long way from happening

Race course are funny places, they make a fortune from a tiny number of big meeting, then are virtually empty for the rest of the year.
  • Sandown has a golf course, driving range, go kart track and various conference/exhibition facilities that keep the coffers ticking over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Such a shame - I've just bought a house in Lympne (nr Folkstone) and there is a disused race track there which is scheduled to be used for housing. I popped in to see it - race courses are massive - you can get a lot of houses on one of them!

I'd much rather they stayed as race courses, I'd much rather pubs stayed pubs, etc. But then I'm an old git so what do I know about anything?
  • The racecourse at Folkestone closed a few years ago because the owners Arena Racing were denied planning permission for houses which they said would have helped with the funding for the track.
  • The grandstand at the old Lincoln racecourse (shut in the mid 1960s) is a listed building .. it still stands in all it's splendour by the side of one of the main Lincoln roads
  • The grandstand at the old Lincoln racecourse (shut in the mid 1960s) is a listed building .. it still stands in all it's splendour by the side of one of the main Lincoln roads

Needs a coat of two of paint though Lincs!
  • I live about 200 yards from the main entrance, my only hope is that our pathetic train service is upgraded. Currently 2 an hour and 55 minutes to Waterloo
  • Just look how many flats they've fit onto the old catford greyhound track. Staggering.
  • Brunello said:

Never knew you were a jockey @Brunello :-)
  • Brunello said:

Never knew you were a jockey @Brunello :-)
    Yes,unfortunately i have put on a bit since!!!

Bet you cant guess which one was mine :)
  • iaitch said:

The racecourse at Folkestone closed a few years ago because the owners Arena Racing were denied planning permission for houses which they said would have helped with the funding for the track.

This, I understand, is to be a new housing development in the near future also. I believe it was all passed by the Government a few weeks back. Folk down here are not best pleased especially with the new lorry park going in at Stanford.

• For those of you who, like myself, oppose the closure of Kempton, I would like to point out that there is a Save Kempton Park group on Facebook and an online petition on change.org.
  • Sponsored links:

• For those of you who, like myself, oppose the closure of Kempton, I would like to point out that there is a Save Kempton Park group on Facebook and an online petition on change.org.
    Whatever happened to this? I see it's still open for racing, but was that a temporary stay of execution or did they change their minds in the end?