Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What year did shops start opening on boxing day?

Having a little discussion on the pub
Can't seem to find online
I'm say 35 years ago retail shops were closed

Comments

• Our Tesco superstore did not open on Boxing Day in 2006 if that's any helpful indicator.
  • clb74 said:

Impossible to answer, are you talking about officially allowed to open, or those that had opened for years unofficially? It's fair to say it was mostly non Christian corner shops that were open for many a year.
    If it's the latter, then there's really no way of telling.
  • Whenever it was, what a pain in the arse my daughter has to work Boxing Day until 6 and as there are no trains I will have to pick her up meaning I can't bloody drink.
  • clb74 said:

Impossible to answer, are you talking about officially allowed to open, or those that had opened for years unofficially? It's fair to say it was mostly non Christian corner shops that were open for many a year.
    If it's the latter, then there's really no way of telling.
    The mainstream shops really high street shops.
    I'm sure I always had the hump walking through clockhouse and down to beckenham high st and now where to spend me money
  • Whenever it was, what a pain in the arse my daughter has to work Boxing Day until 6 and as there are no trains I will have to pick her up meaning I can't bloody drink.

Think of all that lovely housekeeping she's paying you steve
  • Chizz said:

4AD

Anno Duchatelet
  • clb74 said:

Whenever it was, what a pain in the arse my daughter has to work Boxing Day until 6 and as there are no trains I will have to pick her up meaning I can't bloody drink.

Fuck all
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

Whenever it was, what a pain in the arse my daughter has to work Boxing Day until 6 and as there are no trains I will have to pick her up meaning I can't bloody drink.

Fuck all
    They will only get it when your gone anyway mate
  • RobRob
    edited December 2016
    Apparently 2006 was when Boxing Day was first considered a 'Normal Shopping Day'. At least that's what Wikipedia says. I thought it was older than that but that's probably because I live in the States where Boxing Day has always been a 'Normal Shopping Day'.
  • Chizz said:

4AD

Augustus Caesar would have hated that
  • They opened when people started shopping in them, personally after years in retail I used to hate it, and all it means is that shops like M&S start their refund and exchanges a day early.
  • Halix said:

They opened when people started shopping in them, personally after years in retail I used to hate it, and all it means is that shops like M&S start their refund and exchanges a day early.

And allows them to put sales on the crap they overstocked on... Felt the Sainsburys advert was a joke that reason.
  • My local corner shop is open. And people are going in.
  • When some people realised that they couldn't go longer than 1 day without shops opening.
  • All the while the demand is there they will open. No one goes shopping and it won't be worth them opening and the staff will be allowed to spend time with their families. Supply and demand......
  • Whenever it was, what a pain in the arse my daughter has to work Boxing Day until 6 and as there are no trains I will have to pick her up meaning I can't bloody drink she can't come home.

Fixed for you.
  • edited December 2016
    My Dad was a grocer in Dumbarton (Scotland). He was open every Christmas Day until the early 60s, when trade on that day dried up. He was always open on boxing day and it was only on Ne'erday that the shop shut (he says that Hogmanay was always his busiest day of the year).
    Edited to add: Christmas Day only became a public holiday in Scotland in 1958
  • Sponsored links:

• The tube ran on Christmas Day until 1979.
  • The supermarket in New Eltham was open today. I'm not in the slightest bit religious, but I surprised myself by feeling offended as we drove past.
  • The Turkish supermarkets are open on Christmas Day.
  • Dont know but ridiculous that they are.... Cant people wait a few days to take their unwanted pressies back. And the sale stuff is mainly yesteryear stuff taken from their storerooms, especially next.
  • Think it used to be if shop over a certain size it couldn't open on Boxing Day meaning local corner shops etc would be open.

i don't have any issue with it if you work in retail you are aware of it. Bit like them moaning they have to work weekends or bar staff complainting about doing nights. It is part of the job.
  • And Boxing Day only became a bank holiday in the 70s anyway
  • You sure you don't mean New Years Day?

I started work in 1972 and first few years New Years Day was a working day then it became a bank holiday.
  • Nearly a quarter of a million have signed a petition to close shops on boxing day.
    Quite a few responces thank you thought we might of been a bit nearer I mean have the likes of marks and Spencer's been open boxing day for the last 60 years
  • edited December 2016
    clb74 said:

Nearly a quarter of a million have signed a petition to close shops on boxing day.
    Quite a few responces thank you thought we might of been a bit nearer I mean have the likes of marks and Spencer's been open boxing day for the last 60 years

Sorry, I don't understand that......nearer to what?
  • clb74 said:

Nearly a quarter of a million have signed a petition to close shops on boxing day.

Why not let everybody have the day off, therefore no tv, no football, no emergency services etc etc