Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Supporter shock.

A Xmas card has arrived at home from a couple whom I know to have been amongst the most supportive, active, and generous supporters of this Club over many years. It simply said that for the first time in thirty years they have not renewed their season tickets, and that they are now watching Ebsfleet where there are a number of ex Charlton people involved, a terrific honest attitude towards the football and the Club. Our family have also failed to renew our tickets, and unbelieveably last night I did not bother to look for the result until 10.00pm.

We have to find a way to rid ourselves of this pathetic owner and his unqualified puppet. It must be something that is relatively simple to carry out, and which can command media attention and damage their finances, and their spirit......I suggest that we organise through CARD to persuade every supporter not to buy a season ticket next season. It will not effect where you sit, just do what we have done this year and purchase the seats you prefer. I believe that this might be the straw that breaks our Belgian camel's back. Thoughts ?

Comments

• Roland would not care if attendance at the games was zero, nor would his 'niece'. In fact they would probably relish it.
  • stonemuse said:

Roland would not care if attendance at the games was zero, nor would his 'niece'. In fact they would probably relish it.

Is that incest then?
  • Keep doing what we're doing and i'm confident he'll be gone shortly.
  • stonemuse said:

Roland would not care if attendance at the games was zero, nor would his 'niece'. In fact they would probably relish it.

Is that incest then?
    They're both screwing the club but I've no idea if they're also screwing each other.
  • edited December 2016
    stonemuse said:

Roland would not care if attendance at the was zero, nor would his 'niece'. In fact they would probably relish it.

stonemuse said:

Is that incest then?
    It is five sixths of it.
  • stonemuse said:

Is that incest then?
    euphemism
    ˈjuːfəmɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    noun: euphemism; plural noun: euphemisms

a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.

Or is it Euphonium?
  • Still can't get my head around how people 'switch' to watching other clubs.

Couldn't agree more.
  • edited December 2016

Still can't get my head around how people 'switch' to watching other clubs.

I agree but I guess some people need their football fix. Watching any other club but Charlton leaves me cold.

Edit : in fact sometimes watching Charlton leaves me cold.

• Sponsored links:

I kind of agree Dan but there is a difference between watching another team and supporting another club. I have been known to go and watch the Wings. I would not call myself a supporter (more of a customer actually) but sometimes if I cant get to Charlton games I need my footie fix.

I think we will see more and more of this as disaffected addicks refuse to support this toxic bunch of wankers by parting with their hard earned to line the Belgian's pocket but still want to watch a game on Saturday with mates, family etc.

The danger is of course that they get so used to it they never come back and do in fact switch allegiances.
  • I think there's a big difference between "switching clubs" and heading to watch your local team once a fortnight. I'm quite partial to the odd local non league game but I have no emotional tie to that team other than them being local and am just getting my football fix .

Would never consider watching another league team on a regular basis....
  • JWADDICK said:

Still can't get my head around how people 'switch' to watching other clubs.

I kind of agree Dan but there is a difference between watching another team and supporting another club. I have been known to go and watch the Wings. I would not call myself a supporter (more of a customer actually) but sometimes if I cant get to Charlton games I need my footie fix.

I think we will see more and more of this as disaffected addicks refuse to support this toxic bunch of wankers by parting with their hard earned to line the Belgian's pocket but still want to watch a game on Saturday with mates, family etc.

The danger is of course that they get so used to it they never come back and do in fact switch allegiances.
    Can't get to Charlton but can make it to Welling ? Weird ;0)

I used to watch man Utd until five years ago but it clashed with my Morris Dancing so now I follow Charlton
    You too????

I'm not sure if it applies to the OP, but I can certainly understand how watching other clubs can be enjoyable.

Over the last 4 years I've been to Leeds quite a bit as my mates in Leeds support them. The day out is enjoyable, going to the pub with mates etc. have been away a few times with them and in that case it's good to see new grounds. I couldn't care less whether Leeds won, lost or drew though (aside from when they played CAFC and I was in the away end).

When I'm in London, I'd never go and watch another team mind. But if the OP feels strongly enough about not renewing, but still wants the football experience of the day out with friends then I can see how they do it.

Moving back to Greenwich permanently in 5 months time though so no more of this Yorkshire malarkey.
  • stonemuse said:

There is something to be said for that view.

At the Slade unveiling (sorry poor choice of word) as manager, Meire was asked about the loss of 4,000 season ticket holders.

She said, quote: It's their choice.

No attempt to try to persuade them back then given the gilt-edged opportunity presented by a new manager coupled with the promise of a potential (ha!) promotion chasing season, No..........just a bald and dismissive It's their choice.
    Like, whatever.......! Shrug.....next question...........

I do just wonder if the seemingly impossible could happen at a home game this season and the away fans outnumber the home contingent actually present in the ground?

I'm not at all sure that Meire would acknowledge the significance of this and Duchatelet would somehow see it as the two sets of fans coming together for the matchday experience.

• Had friend who switched from Brentford to Chelsea, never understood how or why, although he goes to many games, after a drink or two you can tell he still loves the bees.
  • I'd be more worried about those who find something other than football to fill the Charlton void.
    I'm really enjoying cycling at the weekends now without having to factor in a match. With all the costs involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• BDL said:

Grumps, I know who you are talking about and they have simply had enough of the rubbish Roland has served up. Good Charlton people who were there for the club when they were needed but now cast aside. It's really sad the club is haemmoriging good people to other clubs and other sports, yet certain people act as if nothing is wrong. Scandalous.

Spot on Dave.

• Had friend who switched from Brentford to Chelsea, never understood how or why, although he goes to many games, after a drink or two you can tell he still loves the bees.

The joke about the millionaire Paul Daniels leaps to mind
  • BDL said:

Grumps, I know who you are talking about and they have simply had enough of the rubbish Roland has served up. Good Charlton people who were there for the club when they were needed but now cast aside. It's really sad the club is haemmoriging good people to other clubs and other sports, yet certain people act as if nothing is wrong. Scandalous.

TBF Dave,it took you a bit of time to see the light.

• Arrived back last week full of enthusiasm and looking forward to watching 6/7 games. After watching the Peterborough game, couldn't be bothered trying to get to the Den and even forgot we were playing until about 10pm. Seen us play hundreds of division 3 games over 50 years, but cant remember ever being as bored and depressed as I was during that first half v Peterborough, £43 wasted.
  • I cannot believe anyone is getting bulchy about recieving a Christmas card from the club which from the Comms department.
  • Arrived back last week full of enthusiasm and looking forward to watching 6/7 games. After watching the Peterborough game, couldn't be bothered trying to get to the Den and even forgot we were playing until about 10pm. Seen us play hundreds of division 3 games over 50 years, but cant remember ever being as bored and depressed as I was during that first half v Peterborough, £43 wasted.

Cheap flight.

• BDL said:

Fair point, I, like many, wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, and things to work. In denial, possibly, but it became clear that nothing would change.

• BDL said:

BDL said:

Fair point, I, like many, wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, and things to work. In denial, possibly, but it became clear that nothing would change.

What doubt was that?
  • There's many a time when I've thought life would be much more easier if Charlton just went out of business or it became another MK Dons in another part of the country just so I could call it a day on supporting them but until that day happens it's my curse in life to keep on going though, on the plus side, some of the most miserable supporters I know are the ones that are fans of arsenal, spurs, Man Utd, Liverpool etc and, as for West Ham fans, last week on the tube after the game when I didn't know the result from the taxpayers stadium I thought West Ham had lost again when I looked at the faces and body language of their fans to gauge the outcome of their game.
  • I won't support another league club, but I understand why people might switch to a non-league club. Quite a few of my mates have done this anyway because its cheaper and fits in with their lives especially if they have moved away.
    I've been to Dulwich Hamlet a few times and enjoyed it but it doesn't feel like home in the same way. Mind you, nor does The Valley at the moment.
    As discussed on other threads, Roland will ignore anything in the UK - whatever happens has to be in Belgium.