Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Installing an Ethernet card...

edited June 2008 in Troubleshooting
How easy is it?

Comments

• easy peasy
  • Feck me, how old is the PC?!
  • If it's got an installation/driver CD with it, make sure you follow thw instructions. My mate installed one and windows found some drivers and it didn't work properly. As for physically locating it, provided you've got a spare PCI slot, it's a piece of p*ss.
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Feck me, how old is the PC?!

About 5 yeras old..
  • edited June 2008
    I assume you're running Windows XP?

If so very easy (as long as you have a spare slot) AND you have the proper driver (software) included, otherwise finding the driver can be a nightmare.
  • [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Feck me, how old is the PC?!

About 5 yeras old..

Fair enough... explains why it hasnt got one already.

Like others have said, if it's XP it's a piece of piss. Let me know if you need a hand though, quiet happy to pop up and see your Mrs you ;-)
  • Can you pop round tonight?...;-)
  • Errrrr, no!

;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]

About 5 yeras old..

Oh no it bloody doesn't! I haven't seen a PC built since about 1998 that doesn't have an onboard network port on the motherboard. I suspect '5 years' is a bit optimistic!

Still a doddle to set up if, as others have said, you have a spare PCI slot.

Pop the case open, locate the slot you want to use, make sure you earth yourself (touch something metal) to discharge any static electricity then slot the card in and fix in place with the screw provided. Boot Windows, load the driver from the install routine that should come with the CD that was with the network card (if necessary, most NICs nowadays will be autodetected). If you don't have the CD, then a search from Windows Update should do the trick
  • Jesus there are times when i do feel very very old. I remember when:

*booting windows got u nicked
    *anything IP ended menat IPA and was a booze
    *Ether was a chemical
    *a dongal was me spelling doogle
    *IT meant a fit bird
    *a CD was some form of transvestite
    *PCs walked about inblue uniforms with pointed hats
    *computors had revolving wheels with tape in em and u wore white coats to get near em.
    * and when u went wrong a sign would say "returning to doss". Miss that always happy to doss.

memories ------ like the shadows on my mind --------
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]

About 5 yeras old..

Oh no it bloody doesn't! I haven't seen a PC built since about 1998 that doesn't have an onboard network port on the motherboard. I suspect '5 years' is a bit optimistic!

Not, it's not a certainty but I'd say a lot of home PC's 5 years ago, didnt come with a network card onboard... why would they?!

On another note, how's the hangover?!
  • edited July 2008
    LOL - not bad thanks!

Looking back, it appears I posted a message at about midnight from somewhere in the vicinity of Piccadilly Circus... Spent an hour hanging off the Eros statue and, as a result, now have the absolute mother of all sore throats. Still gutted that we still can't get any better songs than Y Viva Espana, Campeones and Ole Ole Ole though :)
  • Enjoy it mate, it'll be another 50-odd years before the next one ;-)