Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Sheff U - Post Match Views

edited November 2016 in General Charlton
Another late show, this time even later than the Gills one.

Look forward to the views of those there on the game (keep protest chat for other threads please).

Comments

• Posting without attending :

Sounds as if a point was a get out of jail one. That's ok. Good that Robinson will have clearly seen our deficiencies and will look to address as soon as he is able.

As long as we continue to tick over the points tally I don't mind having our cracks exposed
  • Huge result after it sounded we were overrun for most of the game. Sheffield fans must feel sick.
  • Posted this on match thread, but should go here:

JJ's involvement has got to be more limited now hasn't it? Or is that inviting the come in no. 4 comments? Chicksen doesn't seem to have done so badly since coming into the team.
  • Posted this on match thread, but should go here:

JJ's involvement has got to be more limited now hasn't it? Or is that inviting the come in no. 4 comments? Chicksen doesn't seem to have done so badly since coming into the team.

Gone fishin.
  • Big point that could be. Sheffield United pressed and caused us all kinds of problems. Best side I've seen this season.

But we hung in there! Need some quicker midfielders in January
  • Onwards and upwards. Robinson now knows how weak we are in midfield, hopefully chickson gets a run until January when we can bring in a couple of new faces.
    Was now gonna have a rant against Roland but I won't see how obedient I am AFKA
  • Sponsored links:

• Only watching the video clip - but for their goal, that Sheff Utd freekick routine was well thought out.

Caught us absolutely cold with no defender available to pick up their wide runner penetrating behind our defence.

Why do Charlton rarely seem to put together clever deadball moves like that?

• Driving home will post in detail later

Feels like a win that... for 90mins we were awful
  • edited November 2016
    6 Peterborough 19 7 29
    --------------------------
    7 Wimbledon 20 6 29
    8 Fleetwood 20 5 29
    9 Millwall 19 1 28
    10 Southend 20 -1 28
    11 Charlton 19 7 27

• Was now gonna have a rant against Roland but I won't see how obedient I am AFKA

Oh you most certainly can mate, you've the rest of the forum for that!!
  • edited November 2016
    Oggy Red said:

Only watching the video clip - but for their goal, that Sheff Utd freekick routine was well thought out.

Caught us absolutely cold with no defender available to pick up their wide runner penetrating behind our defence.

Why do Charlton rarely seem to put together clever deadball moves like that?

Because we havnt had a decent manager / coach since Curbs left. That why it's the most important signing a club can make.

Robinson might well fit the bill so perhap we will see some improvement in playing style and nous.

• We seem to love a late goal:

Lookman 90th minute equaliser against Bolton
    Novak 87th minute equaliser against Fleetwood
    Ajose 90th minute equaliser against Gillingham
    Novak 86th minute winner against Chesterfield
    Bauer's 90th minute equaliser today

Does it gloss over the fact we're not very good and scraping points, or the fact we have a squad who will never give up? I would say the latter. Sounds as if we were dominated all over the park today, but getting undeserved goals is part of football. 7 points from 9 against two play off contenders and probably the outstanding candidate for automatic promotion is not too shabby at all. MK Dons an excellent chance to boost spirits for a menacing pre Christman run - Bradford (4th), Peterborough (6th) and Millwall. COYR.
  • Do not look at the table much nowadays

We are below Fleetwood???Jeez

#Rolandout
  • Sheffield United in midfield were far better than us.

Part of the problem could be that they had 5 in midfield compared to our 4 but always seemed like they had plenty of space in possession and we had none.

Crofts and Ulvestad as a pair are too slow in my eyes. Always second to every ball and unable to chase back when players have taken the ball past them.

And with 2 of our 4 midfielders being aged 32 and 34 respectively, we were always going to be outrun by their 5 in midfield.

• Sponsored links:

• Don't forget to purchase your tickets for our FA Cup tie against MK Dons now! Adults just £10 & U18s £1! Visit cafc.co.uk/tickets. To opt out text STOP to 60070

Do one...
  • Thought we got out of jail today. Great to score 93rd minute equaliser. We only started playing in the last 5 minutes and when we actually attacked them they looked a bit shaky but why did we leave it so long. Botaka coming on made a big difference.
    Why did we pass back to Phillips so many times today only for him to hoof the ball forward which we could have done in the first place.
    Sheffield looked very good and were quicker sharper and more organised than us but we never attempted to tackle them or close them down.
    I have always been a Jacko fan but think his days of starting are slowly numbered now and esp him playing out wide as he comes inside so Fox is always against 2 players and other teams target this as Sheffield did today.
  • sam3110 said:

We were fucking awful, who would have thought one change would take us from the Bristol Rovers to this shower of shit?

But that is exactly what happened, as they exploited the space offered up by the completely pointless Jackson.

Think you also have to take the difference in quality of opposition into account
  • sam3110 said:

Chicksen came on early in the second half and had the energy to actually keep up with play, and it made little difference as the rest of the team was so lacklustre it was ridiculous, culminating in a quick free kick on the edge of our own box that had Phillips scrambling to put it out for a throw in.

So... just to get this straight... it was all Jackson's fault, except when it wasn't and was everyone else's fault.
  • Looks like I was the only one who didn't think we were too bad! Sheff Utd looked a decent side and the better team for much of the game but, aside from the soft goal, I thought we defended really well and Phillips was only called into action a couple of times. Bringing on Novak and Botaka made a big difference and reckon another couple of minutes and we could have ncked another goal.

We obviously have our deficiencies and hopefully our latest manager does something about that but, since Nugent took over, we are definitely a stronger unit and made sure we were in that game throughout and I personally didn't think the draw was completely undeserved.

Also although I want Roland out and agree with everything CARD had done, I do think that the negativity about the running of the club does spill out too much to the team sometimes-they are making progress now and, whilst I appreciate we shouldn't in this league in the first place, I think the "support the team not the regime" mantra is definitely not one for all fans . Ajose has scored in his last two games yet there were still big cheers when was taken off, Fox has three assists in two games yet still came in for lots of stick for a bad cross etc etc.
  • Ha, an absolute pisstake of a point - so underserved... Hahahaha.

I hope every one of the pricks in their support on Flloyd Road before the game with the taxis feel absolutely pig sick.
  • Sheffield Utd best team we have played all season, and I have to say that their fans were a credit. Young keeper in goal was excellent apart from one dodgy clearance.Jackson I'm afraid was half a second off the pace.The defence seemed wobbly today I thought.Ajose had another difficult day.Lookman in the first half did ok,but yet again I feel he holds onto the ball a little too long and gets dispossessed too easily.Chickson didn't do much good apart from the assist.So overall we battled hard and got an equaliser, i didn't think we really deserved.But the atmosphere today was the best all season.I think we've got a decent squad,top 6 should definitely be achieved
  • Ha, an absolute pisstake of a point - so underserved... Hahahaha.

I hope every one of the pricks in their support on Flloyd Road before the game with the taxis feel absolutely pig sick.

And in English ?

• sam3110 said:

Chicksen came on early in the second half and had the energy to actually keep up with play, and it made little difference as the rest of the team was so lacklustre it was ridiculous, culminating in a quick free kick on the edge of our own box that had Phillips scrambling to put it out for a throw in.

So... just to get this straight... it was all Jackson's fault, except when it wasn't and was everyone else's fault.
    No, it was partly Jacksons fault as he quite literally cannot keep up with play, and the rest of the team, who can keep up with play were also at fault as they were making poor decisions. It was also partly Nugents(?) fault for starting Jackson ahead of Chicksen.

Did you attend today?