Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Child abuse within football (Charlton mentioned pg 4)

This is about to become really huge. One ex player came forward and now more and more are doing so. The original guy (Andy Woodward) reckons the number abused could be far greater than those by Jimmy Saville.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38084213

Comments

• Yeah I've been reading bits and bobs about this.

We had something that seems similar happen in American University Football (Penn State) where it turned out a coach had been molesting boys for years and the head coach and the university either turned a blind eye in some instances, and actively covered it up in others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

I was reading in the Guardian that Crewe have pushed back hard saying they didn't know anything and aren't to blame. That may be true, but that wouldn't be my advice on how to approach a serious crime that you missed happening within your club. I also suspect, though don't have a way to prove this one way or another, that warning signs were missed when this was occurring.
  • I have been reading bits about this, very difficult thing to comment on.
  • Heart wrenching
  • Well done to all the former players who have exposed these shocking events.

I know that Academies, including Charlton, have been taking steps for a number of years to prevent this happening.

Unfortunately, I fear there will be a number of further revelations......
  • unreal the coach who abused Woodward between the ages of 11-15 went on to date and marry his sister , what a sick world we live in
  • DOC64 said:

Well done to all the former players who have exposed these shocking events.

I know that Academies, including Charlton, have been taking steps for a number of years to prevent this happening.

Unfortunately, I fear there will be a number of further revelations......

The PFA have said the number of players/ex players to have contacted them regarding this is already in double figures
  • Why has this suddenly come out now?
    Is Barry Bennell still alive? I understand he was convicted in 1998 and served a long sentence

Looks like he is in prison (went back in in 2015)
  • Sponsored links:

• Think he is back out on parole. Sentenced in 2015 for two years to serve a minimum of 12 months.
  • Shocking reading - heartbreaking that Andy Woodward also had to watch his abuser marry his sister

What also disturbs me is that Andy Woodward told Stan Ternant and Neil Warnock many years ago what happened to him - why didn't either of them do something - surely after being told something like that you wouldn't keep quiet
  • Yeah the paedo marrying his sister is unbelievable, shocking that the guy was so scared and fearful of what would happen if he spoke out, that he just had to sit and watch her marry him without saying a word.
  • Read in the metro that the coaches used to argue each evening, as to who they wanted to take back for the night.

Paul Stewart was also threatened with violence or sexual abuse if he had a bad game.

Absolutely disgusting and heart wrenching.
  • robroy said:

Read in the metro that the coaches used to argue each evening, as to who they wanted to take back for the night.

Paul Stewart was also threatened with violence or sexual abuse if he had a bad game.

sorry, does that mean argue over who drops who home after training/matches or who they wanted to take for the night?

if the latter, that is just unbelievable

*obviously the whole thing is horrible
  • robroy said:

Read in the metro that the coaches used to argue each evening, as to who they wanted to take back for the night.

sorry, does that mean argue over who drops who home after training/matches or who they wanted to take for the night?

To quote the metro.

Andy Woodward told Piers Morgan.

"The 43 year old said the situation was so bad that coaches were 'arguing among themselves on a Friday night about which child is going to stay at someone's house.

shocking!
  • Is there anything that could see someone from Charlton (mainly past) being caught up in this?
  • It seems like a massive cover up at the time. I cannot believe that no one knew what was going on apart from the victims and the perpetrators.
  • robroy said:

robroy said:

To quote the metro.

Andy Woodward told Piers Morgan.

"The 43 year old said the situation was so bad that coaches were 'arguing among themselves on a Friday night about which child is going to stay at someone's house.

shocking!
    f#cking hell!
  • Sponsored links:

• This will absolutely be the tip of the iceberg. Sadly I'm only surprised it hasn't come out sooner.

Utmost respect for those with the bravery to come out publicly. Hopefully others may now be able to challenge their abusers and make them face justice.

The FA must have been dreading this moment for years and need to step up and give the police all the help they can.
  • Paul Stewart on BBC News coming up, in tears. Always remember him being a solid old player. Terrible to see a bloke like that, broken by what some twisted fucker done 30 - 35 years ago.

Reckon this is gonna go on this
  • Terribly sad but not at all surprising. Sport attracted these types because, looking back, the kids were easy prey.

I came through the cricket "system" and there were one or two coaches/officials who were bad news (one of whom i think was convicted).

It's much much safer for kids now thankfully but everyone still has to be on their guard 100% of the time.

Sad for the kids and sad for those good, well intentioned coaches.
  • Paul Stewart on BBC News coming up, in tears. Always remember him being a solid old player. Terrible to see a bloke like that, broken by what some twisted fucker done 30 - 35 years ago.

Reckon this is gonna go on this

Tough watching his interview, the guy looked broken. Each of the guys who've come forward are adamant there would've been 100s of kids affected by this, quite incredible this went untold for so long.
  • Pleased to hear it, but I wouldn't want to get complacent about it.
  • Disgusting.
  • I'm waiting for some scouts/cubs leaders to be "outed". I can't believe there isn't stuff on those camp trips.