Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• Coopers arms, T W Plaisted & Co, 120 Woolwich High Street SE18
    This place was once run by my family.
    Now it's a money exchange shop after a short stint as a 'beauty Salon'.
  • edited November 2016
    Just read this,
    http://zani.co.uk/culture/527-dennis-munday-old-mods-die-with-their-desert-boots-on-memories-of-a-first-generation-mod-part-one-of-two-parts

The author has written a book which is available, Anyone know of it?. I have put it on my Christmas wish list...... Talks about buying his first suit from John Collier ( in Woolwich) like myself, the black prince in Bexley, and Hendrix in Bromley...... so of course I was 'hooked'......
  • Just read this,
    http://zani.co.uk/culture/527-dennis-munday-old-mods-die-with-their-desert-boots-on-memories-of-a-first-generation-mod-part-one-of-two-parts

The author has written a book which is available, Anyone know of it?. I have put it on my Christmas wish list...... Talks about buying his first suit from John Collier ( in Woolwich) like myself, the black prince in Bexley, and Hendrix in Bromley...... so of course I was 'hooked'......

That's a brilliant website

Didn't you also have something to do with the Antigallican?
  • Anglesea Arms, Earl of Chatham, Fort Tavern, Fox under the Hill, George IV, Ordnance Arms, Prince Albert is now Rose Inn ? These are still going I think.

The Salutation in Beresford Square is now the Elephant & Castle too
    The Salutation we always called The Sally was on the higher pavement in Beresford Square next door to where Iceland is now, that was the Century cinema in those days closed about 1961 and the Sally closed a few years later,
    Bull Tavern in Vincent Rd is still open
    I don't think all the pubs are on that list Alan, Elephant was there in the 50's, I used to drink in the Sussex on the corner of Maxey Road and Plumstead Road that was a big pub had a snooker table as well, where some big bets used to get laid as there was some very good snooker players got in there.
    And that is not on the list.
    The Ship Plumstead Common not on the list nor the United Services in Plumstead Road which I used in my youth .
    Was the Union Tavern there before the war ?

• edited November 2016

Anglesea Arms, Earl of Chatham, Fort Tavern, Fox under the Hill, George IV, Ordnance Arms, Prince Albert is now Rose Inn ? These are still going I think.

The Salutation we always called The Sally was on the higher pavement in Beresford Square next door to where Iceland is now, that was the Century cinema in those days closed about 1961 and the Sally closed a few years later,
    I don't think all the pubs are on that list Alan, Elephant was there in the 50's, I used to drink in the Sussex on the corner of Maxey Road and Plumstead Road that was a big pub had a snooker table as well, where some big bets used to get laid as there was some very good snooker players got in there.
    The Ship Plumstead Common not on the list nor the United Services in Plumstead Road which I used in my youth .

I doubt the Union Tavern was built pre-1944 - from memory it seemed a fairly new building.

Doesn't look like it closed that long ago.

Anne & Pat...who went on to run the Bell in Walthamstow?
  • TelMc32 said:

RedChaser said:

I can remember my Dad taking me to Cuffs and being amazed at the toy department, with all the glass display cabinets. My grandparents used to take me to the market and we used to watch the guy selling stuff on a big stall. He always used to have a big crowd watching him.

@DaveMehmet Here you go;
    Wonder who the little Charlton supporter is?
    That's Elfsborg and he's still that size
    I have an image of @AFKABartram shouting "yesssssss" and pumping his fists that you've said @ElfsborgAddick and not him as the "little supporter"!!!!!! :wink:
    Anything to keep the boss happy: )
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Just noticed that The Bull Shooters Hill is missing from that 1944 list of pubs.

I'm guessing that as the fox under the hill is on the list (didn't realise it was SE18) then the brook is also missing if it was there in '44.
    Another version of the same thing which includes both The Bull and The Brook.

http://pubshistory.com/London1944/London1944SE18.shtml
    The Brook Hotel was destroyed by a V2 on 11 November 1944 with heavy loss of life, including passengers on a passing 89 bus. Was rebuilt after the war but is now a Co-op I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Elephant & Castle in the market is alright for a beer before a home game, it has Sky there as well.

Not fixed the roof yet, then?
  • TelMc32 said:

RedChaser said:

I can remember my Dad taking me to Cuffs and being amazed at the toy department, with all the glass display cabinets. My grandparents used to take me to the market and we used to watch the guy selling stuff on a big stall. He always used to have a big crowd watching him.

@DaveMehmet Here you go;
    Wonder who the little Charlton supporter is?
    That's Elfsborg and he's still that size
    I have an image of @AFKABartram shouting "yesssssss" and pumping his fists that you've said @ElfsborgAddick and not him as the "little supporter"!!!!!! :wink:
    Anything to keep the boss happy: )
  • bobmunro said:

Anglesea Arms, Earl of Chatham, Fort Tavern, Fox under the Hill, George IV, Ordnance Arms, Prince Albert is now Rose Inn ? These are still going I think.

I doubt the Union Tavern was built pre-1944 - from memory it seemed a fairly new building.
    Hi Bob
    On my post above the site shows a picture of the Union Tavern in 1918.
    The pub we knew was obviously rebuilt .
  • Saturday morning, buy a bag of sweets at the paper shop in Wellington Street, then down to ABC minors hosted by Uncle Harry Bolton. Throw some of the sweets at Uncle Harry.

My grandad was a regular in the Queen Vic and The Star. I was brought up with the idea that there was a pub on every corner in Woolwich - not too far from the truth.
  • Curb_It said:

LenGlover said:

No Lord Herbert on either version either I've noticed.

No, but it is still going strong Len. My local.

As night follows day B!!!! :wink:
  • Seven pages about Woolwich in the old days but very little positive news on the Woolwich of today?
  • Some great pictures there, bought back a lot of memories for me
  • The Presto Car Park is there! That was my first job back in 1983, sitting in that booth and charging customers as they came out the car park. Wow, that brings back memories!

Also, the Union Tavern was the pub we all went into after a long shift on Friday and Saturday evenings. It was always full of Presto staff then. I was 16 when I first went in and had a crafty drink after work and when I was finally over 18, they decided to challenge me about my age despite me drinking in there for the best part of two years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Did a secret shopping assignment in the Great Harry last month. Arrived just after midday to find a few pissed up old farts singing the Let 'em come song. Not in a hurry to go back.
  • Did a secret shopping assignment in the Great Harry last month. Arrived just after midday to find a few pissed up old farts singing the Let 'em come song. Not in a hurry to go back.

All those years I've been wondering who Pubspy was. I'd never have guessed.
  • clive said:

Seven pages about Woolwich in the old days but very little positive news on the Woolwich of today?

The improving transport links mean you can get out of Woolwich quicker.
    If anybody needs fares and times.........
  • Great photos, I wonder if the Art deco styled Odeon was overshadowed by the Granada in architectural terms, as it was listed, Hope not. Although not everyones cup of tea, it was a great cinema, the scope and sound was very impressive as a cinema.
  • Great picture of the trams outside the Odeon and the cinema queue for Joan of Arc (1948) starring Ingrid Bergman.
  • Just read this,

The author has written a book which is available, Anyone know of it?. I have put it on my Christmas wish list...... Talks about buying his first suit from John Collier ( in Woolwich) like myself, the black prince in Bexley, and Hendrix in Bromley...... so of coursehttp://www.thechords.co.uk/interviews/inter04.htm I was 'hooked'......

Just caught up with this. Dennis was a neighbour of mine years ago and I am a close friend of his brother Robert. He worked in the music business and has written a number of books including one about Paul Weller .

http://www.thechords.co.uk/interviews/inter04.htm
  • I can't remember if I've posted these elsewhere on another thread but one of the old Woolwich Ferry here (which I don't actually remember).