Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marrakech

Hi all off to Marrakech soon to those that have been are there bars that show sky sports out there thanks in advance.

Comments

• Blimey .... I can only guess at what you're trying to say.

;o)
  • I've always told the wife if we ever need to find out anything I consult the bible Charlton life.
  • edited November 2016
    In Le Ville Noire (El Hara?) - so the french speaking district, things are pretty western and modern. You may have some luck around there?

Here's a Google Maps link, to where I think I'm thinking of. Really nice little place with some decent shopping outlets. You can actually walk here from the Medina, it's one straight road - I can't remember how long it took us. It's a fairly interesting walk - you begin in an area that looks ancient, and end up somewhere that looks more modern than London; a really bizarre road.
  • Just had a look on Google maps 10 mins in cab from hotel not far from me dinner cheers lucky
  • LuckyReds said:

In Le Ville Noire (El Hara?) - so the french speaking district, things are pretty western and modern. You may have some luck around there?

Here's a Google Maps link, to where I think I'm thinking of. Really nice little place with some decent shopping outlets. You can actually walk here from the Medina, it's one straight road - I can't remember how long it took us. It's a fairly interesting walk - you begin in an area that looks ancient, and end up somewhere that looks more modern than London; a really bizarre road.

Spot on - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293734-d3835398-Reviews-O_Mulligan_Resto_Pub-Marrakech_Marrakech_Tensift_El_Haouz_Region.html

F*ck me, there's Irish bars everywhere!

It looks like you're in luck though; O'Mulligans, in The New Town (So Le Ville Noire) by the looks of it. Has decent reviews too!
  • Take a day trip to the atlas mountains. The food is tasty. The people are nice. Your shit will turn into steam.
  • Brilliant lucky good old charlton life I'm keeping quiet about the shopping outlets though
  • If you are going with your mrs, make sure she dresses conservatively, shoulders covered that sort of thing. You'll have great time
  • Thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• If you look as though your about to take a photo in the old town square expect to be attacked by locals wanting money for you taking said picture, they are seriously aggressive about it. My mate ended up paying a mob about 20 quid for a 2 second video of the sky, he was seriously hustled and intimidated by them, much to my amusement!
  • ozaddick said:

If you look as though your about to take a photo in the old town square expect to be attacked by locals wanting money for you taking said picture, they are seriously aggressive about it. My mate ended up paying a mob about 20 quid for a 2 second video of the sky, he was seriously hustled and intimidated by them, much to my amusement!

Same here! I was accosted by two chaps dressed in traditional dress, refused to take no for an answer*. In the end I was worried about missing our bus back to the hotel, so I relented. I gave my camera to my girlfriend to take the picture, and gave them what must've been about £20 too. Worst thing is, my girlfriend told me about 5 minutes later "I didn't even get the photo, I can't work your camera"... Thanks love.

Another funny memory was walking through the old town and having some young lads look at my Charlton shirt, only to try and pronounce the words: at the time our sponser was "KRBS". It took me a while to cotton on, and at first I was bewildered as to why children were yelling "GRUBS" at me.

*Although people were really pushy everywhere, I did find very mispronounced Arabic words worked wonders on them - especially the women. A lot of the begging/scams/street-selling seems to be done by women whilst the men.. sit back and watch I guess. But a few times when I tried to say "La, Shukran", they'd laugh at me, stop trying to sell me stuff, make a bit of small talk and then pester the other tourists who would slowly just shout "NO" louder and louder.
  • clb74 said:

Brilliant lucky good old charlton life I'm keeping quiet about the shopping outlets though

Hope you have a cracking time, mate!
  • So, you are off to Marrakesh with your wife and your first question is " are there bars that show sky sports"

You old romantic, who said romance is dead :smile:
  • edited November 2016
    I've actually been on the Marrakech express a few times. Leaves Tangier at around 9:30pm, gets into Marrakech around 7:30 - 8:00am.

Used to leave from the really crappy rundown old station in the south of Tangier a couple of miles out from the centre - and on arrival you had to walk across the tracks to a similar French-colonial era station building. Both stations are now super modern and shiny, you could be anywhere in Europe. I kind of miss the crappy old stations.

Re: touts. All you can do is walk away. I have occasionally given a quid to a self-appointed "guide" when I asked the way to a hotel.

"But this is nothing! It is sweetie money for children"

"Well come back here tomorrow and I'll give you some more" Enter hotel and ask concierge to get rid of em.

IMPORTANT: Don't stop smiling.
  • clb74 said:

I've always told the wife if we ever need to find out anything I consult the bible Charlton life.

Hang on... Your saying your off to Marry someone called Kech soon but your already married?
  • ozaddick said:

If you look as though your about to take a photo in the old town square expect to be attacked by locals wanting money for you taking said picture, they are seriously aggressive about it. My mate ended up paying a mob about 20 quid for a 2 second video of the sky, he was seriously hustled and intimidated by them, much to my amusement!

Avoid blokes with monkeys.
  • In mulluginan s at this moment
    Hotel had the match on Saturday that was good
    Watched it with Barnet, Bradford, Bolton millwall.
    Done soukes on guided tour yesterday madness
    An old family about 4 of them in 70s got mugged everything taken off them yesterday
    One of the old boys got taken off to hospital last night
  • Back now would like to say a big thank you to the person who took the time out every morning to get up and pray To me at 4.45am
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

In mulluginan s at this moment
    Hotel had the match on Saturday that was good
    Watched it with Barnet, Bradford, Bolton millwall.
    Done soukes on guided tour yesterday madness
    An old family about 4 of them in 70s got mugged everything taken off them yesterday
    One of the old boys got taken off to hospital last night

unfortunately places that 15/20 years ago were safe and welcoming are now dangerous for 'western, prosperous' tourists, especially young women and older people .. I blame Thatcher and Duchatelet ((:>)
  • ozaddick said:

Avoid blokes with monkeys.
    And snakes ;-)