Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gerrard has no respect for Reed (bbc.co.uk)

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard says he has "no respect" for Charlton boss Les Reed after the way he treated him during England's Euro 2000 campaign.
Reed, who faces Gerrard at The Valley on Saturday, was part of Kevin Keegan's coaching team in Germany.

And Gerrard said in his autobiography: "To this day I have no respect for Reed or (England coach) Derek Fazackerley.

"I felt they could have shown me more sympathy. They were always pushing me, telling me to buck up my ideas."

He added: "They didn't seem to understand that not everyone can board a plane, settle in a strange hotel far from the family they love and find it easy.

"My homesickness worsened whenever I was forced to be in their company."

Reed did not appear aware of Gerrard's ill-feeling towards him when he discussed their meeting when in-form Liverpool travel to Charlton.

He said: "Steven Gerrard came into the senior England squad for the first time when I was working with Kevin Keegan.

"I've got his framed Euro 2000 shirt hanging on my wall saying 'best wishes Steven Gerrard', so I have come across him.

"I think he's such a dedicated player, he loves playing for Liverpool and he loves playing for England. He'll do whatever his coach asks him to do."

Comments