Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Cheers @soapboxsam.

Does anyone know what's happened to Archie Edwards? I believe he had injury problems last year but it seems like a while since he's been involved or since we've heard from him.

Also, it sounds like KAG desperately needs to go out on loan.
  • edited August 2016
    Archie Edwards was watching today because Slade wanted THD to get 90 minutes under his belt.
    Archie played against Huddersfield last week and looked as if he trained this morning so don't think there are any Problems.

Phil Brown was there today so if KAG turns up at Southend on Loan you heard it here first !

• BFG - Bauer Footballing Great
  • Archie Edwards was watching today because Slade wanted THD to get 90 minutes under his belt.
    Archie played against Huddersfield last week and looked as if he trained this morning so don't think there are any Problems.

Phil Brown was there today so if KAG turns up at Southend on Loan you heard it here first !

The club has said they are prepared to let 5 youngsters go out on loan, so Brown was probably seeing how they all performed
  • Thank you Charlton for putting the game back 30 minutes
    so i could get there for KO.

Other than Des Walker's Son Tyler, didn't appear to be any 1st team Experience in the young Forest Line up.

A strong CB partnership of Lennon and the big Effing German,
    were far to strong for the forest forwards.
    with Barnes at RB a big improvement on the last time i saw him
    Holmes-Dennis is a great attacking full back with two cracking assists;
    the first was a cross on the Deck with a good finish by Kennedy giving the keeper no chance, and for the 3rd goal he hung a cross for the impressive Hanlan to bury with a strong header. The only doubt about THD is his defending.
    Dillion Phillips spent a lot of time kicking and all the shots were straight at him other than the goal when forest scored at the end when the game was already won and Lennon had come off.
    KAG spent most of his time on the Left wing, and just looks as if he is out of Position.
    Joe Aribo has Quick feet and was given the free role in the attacking mid field position and turns up everwhere.
    Josh Umerah played as the 9 and did OK.
    Ollie Muldoon played Centre mid and gives 100%
    Kennedy the same and had the good finish as well.

@Matt_CAFC Had his pics with Patrick Bauer and the Gaffer Slade
    who watched the whole game so was happy.

Lovely weather today at the Costa del Sparrows.

Aribo sounds like what we need for the first team. I know Euell was raving about him last preseason. He seems to pop up with u21 goals fairly regularly. You reckon he will be ready for the first team this season?
  • Bearing in mind RD's desperation to put Academy players into the 1st team, I don't quite understand why THD isn't being promoted ahead of Fox.
  • Archie Edwards was watching today because Slade wanted THD to get 90 minutes under his belt.

I presume was really there to top up his sun tan, with the lower wages at Southend he can't afford the tanning salon any more
  • Canters, Joe Aribo has two good feet and could give our 1st team something different. Must be worth putting in the squad for a home match
    and be given 25 minutes or so if we can't break a team down.
    His passing was crisp today, and he is skillful in a tight spot.
    worth a punt sooner rather than later.
  • Canters, Joe Aribo has two good feet and could give our 1st team something different. Must be worth putting in the squad for a home match

Is he the bloke on tv with the squeaky voice?

Oh no, that's Haribo!
  • You need to drop your H's Al.
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Aribo, kids love 'em.

Cheers mate. That's what I guessed from Euellls comments and checking scores etc. But wanted it from someone who had seen him play.

I believe he is a bit older than most of the others in the u23s? 21/22 now is he not? Got to be thinking about breaking through soon especially with the drop down a league.
  • A wins a win, but they were playing a very young Forest side. Most of their side were in the U18's last season.
  • Good win seems whenever we sell former youngsters another good lot come through, however this sort of result potentially halting our chances of further signings perhaps.
  • A wins a win, but they were playing a very young Forest side. Most of their side were in the U18's last season.

Maybe they're all over 18 now?

Maybe they're all over 18 now?
    Is there an echo here??? :-)
  • Auto spellcheck set to US English I would imagine, hence previous press releases having Americanisms in them
  • dickplumb said:

This is what I posted on other forums.

A good 3-1 win from the U23 against Nottingham Forest. Charlton put out a strong side with Baeur and Lennon both playing in central defence. Charlton took the lead when skipper Kennedy converted a cross from Holmes- Dennis. We went into a two goal lead when a shot was deflected onto the underside of the bar and Baeur headed home. In the second half Forest came more into the game but we held firm. Lennon was taken off after sixty minutes to be replaced by Jordan Bowry, and we increased our lead when Hanlon headed in after a good run and cross from Holmes- Dennis. Forest got a consolation goal in injury time.

Good displays all round from the two full backs Barnes and Holmes- Dennis who were constantly pushing forward. Baeur,who played 90 minutes and Lennon were rock solid. Aribo in central midfield always impresses me with his tight control and surging runs forward.

Phillips
    Barnes, Baeur, Lennon ( Bowry, Holmes- Dennis,
    Kennedy, Muldoon, Aribo
    Ahearne- Grant, Umerah, Hanlon

Subs Mitov, Djikisteel, Bowry, Charles- Cook,Carter

Looking at the line-up here and another match report it looked like Kennedy was playing CM. Is this correct? Is he now seen as a CM rather than a winger / striker where we have seen him play before?

Always interesting to see how players move positions as they develop
  • Sponsored links:

• Chrispy51 said:

dickplumb said:

This is what I posted on other forums.

A good 3-1 win from the U23 against Nottingham Forest. Charlton put out a strong side with Baeur and Lennon both playing in central defence. Charlton took the lead when skipper Kennedy converted a cross from Holmes- Dennis. We went into a two goal lead when a shot was deflected onto the underside of the bar and Baeur headed home. In the second half Forest came more into the game but we held firm. Lennon was taken off after sixty minutes to be replaced by Jordan Bowry, and we increased our lead when Hanlon headed in after a good run and cross from Holmes- Dennis. Forest got a consolation goal in injury time.

Good displays all round from the two full backs Barnes and Holmes- Dennis who were constantly pushing forward. Baeur,who played 90 minutes and Lennon were rock solid. Aribo in central midfield always impresses me with his tight control and surging runs forward.

Phillips
    Barnes, Baeur, Lennon ( Bowry, Holmes- Dennis,
    Kennedy, Muldoon, Aribo
    Ahearne- Grant, Umerah, Hanlon

Subs Mitov, Djikisteel, Bowry, Charles- Cook,Carter

Looking at the line-up here and another match report it looked like Kennedy was playing CM. Is this correct? Is he now seen as a CM rather than a winger / striker where we have seen him play before?

Always interesting to see how players move positions as they develop
    Kennedy is often used in the U23s as a "number 10" in the modern mold. Used as a link between attack and midfield.
  • http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-u23s-preview-coventry-city-3291408.aspx

Playing Coventry at the Valley at 2.00 pm today.

Free entry on production of ST or VG cards. No parking at the Valley.

Do other VG members have uptodate membership cards. Think mine is two or three years old @rikofold
  • Will Ba and Tex play as they recover from their injuries/illness?

Bauer and Lennon might also want some more game time. Chicksen too.
  • Will Ba and Tex play as they recover from their injuries/illness?

Bauer and Lennon might also want some more game time. Chicksen too.

We can only play three over U21s though cant we?
  • Chicksen is playing. I don't think Ba or Texeira are.
  • I think I might trot along to this. Will I get to meet and greet the players?
  • http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-u23s-preview-coventry-city-3291408.aspx

Playing Coventry at the Valley at 2.00 pm today.

Free entry on production of ST or VG cards. No parking at the Valley.

Do other VG members have uptodate membership cards. Think mine is two or three years old @rikofold

I can't go I'd kick it off with the cov cnuts
  • I'll be there. Should be a comfortable victory.
  • I'll be there. Should be a comfortable victory.

4 - 0?