Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What weird "sporting" event would you like to see?...

I'd love to witness first-hand the madmen who chase cheeses down a rather steep hill in Gloucestershire...

reckon I'd die laughing...

Comments

• That tomato fight in spain as well would be funny
  • the one where the bulls run down the street trying to trample everyone.

would love to watch that from a first floor balcony !
  • Me & Abi Titmuss in a naked trampoline marathon, loser goes on top
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]That tomato fight in spain as well would be funny

Would love to do that and the Bull run
  • Pamplona - running of the bulls, watching them get their own back.

Or the Palio in Siena and I keep meaning to go to Thailand for Songkran.
  • have to agree with you fishnets.
    stupidity at its finest
  • edited May 2008
    Abbi ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh had some fun there mate.

No hold on that was Waltham Abbey !

Songkran is mad but not as mad as 20 years back ! only time u got to throw a bucket of water over an armed copper anywhere in the World and they laughed.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Abbi ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh had some fun there mate.

No hold on that was Waltham Abbey !

Was you BRASS rubbing mate?

You out and about at the cons Play off party Sunday?
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]That tomato fight in spain as well would be funny

http://www.spain-info.com/Culture/tomatofight.htm
  • Rubbed a few Brasses mate in me time ! get DFT to tell you about The matlesser !

Not sure mate re the footie.
  • Sponsored links:

• what about that big football match - again in the west country i think.
  • what about that Afghan polo thing where they use a sheep in stead of a ball? The sheeps dead , well i think they are or pretty upset anyway !

I think its going to be run down Dalston High street in august.
  • world midget wrestling championship
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]have to agree with you fishnets.
    stupidity at its finest

How funny is that...
  • the eskimo olympics maybe or the wife carrying contests in Finland.

There are also a few running events each year that are man versus horse or man versus train that I have considered entering as well.
  • Lucy Pinder & Michelle Marsh in a mud wrestling final would float my boat.....
  • PeteF will back this up - we used to cover weird events on the Saturday morning show on Millennium. Pete used to line up all sorts - extreme ironing, bog snorkling, tiddlywinks. Once we had the organiser of the World Conker Champs on the phone. Mad as anything. Broke off the interview as he had to speak to Japanese tv and they were paying!
  • Charlton winning 3 in a row would be nice
  • watching the indian lads playing Kabahdi on wins common is always good for a laugh, used to watch it on Ch4 basicaly tag but u hold your breath and it has a certian amount of school playground ethics, mind you some of the indian bird players were off the scale in hotness,
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]There are also a few running events each year that are man versus horse

Man versus Horse

In Wales there's a famous race called the Man Versus Horse Marathon. A cross country course is laid out, and human competitors pit their stamina against that of a posse of chosen horses. The course is 22 miles long with many natural obstacles to overcome. The steep slopes are a great test of the endurance of both man and beast, and the tricky forestry, which a man may dart through but which a horse can only travel around, is equally difficult terrain.

The ultimate aim is to run the course and beat the first horse. This was recently done for the first time by a marine who had been training especially for the event. He won a large cash prize - a prize that's been getting bigger every year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wife Carrying

As well as throwing gum boots like the Australians (what weird, weird people there are in this world), the Finns have the great honour of holding the annual Wife Carrying World Championships. What you do is simply grab a hold of your significant other, and carry her (or him) to the finish line faster than the other competitors. Cool.

The games are hosted in the small town of Sonkajärvi in upper Savo, in the eastern part of Finland. The rules say nothing at all about the weight of the wife, only that she can be yours as well as somebody else's. Also, the winning record time for 1999 was apparently included in the Guinness Book of Records.

The Wife Carrying World Championships website explains the rules further and has an official entry form. The site also says that this year's World Champions were a couple from Estonia and that the Estonians actually swept the board, leaving no medals at all for the poor Finns. Oh dear.

Also, the originators of the sauna wouldn't make do without the annual Sauna World Championships. 'Competitors' have to try and stay in a steaming hot room longer than anyone else without passing out.
  • edited May 2008
    AFKA -"The Wife Carrying World Championships website explains the rules further and has an official entry form. The site also says that this year's World Champions were a couple from Estonia and that the Estonians actually swept the board, leaving no medals at all for the poor Finns. Oh dear."

That must be horrible. Inventing a sport then watching everybody else be better at it than you...

DOH!
  • Maybe bogsnorkelling or elephants playing football with a lighted ball, but best of all has to be the Belgian sport of vertical archery. You're alright if you hit the target, but if you're a poor shot you'd better learn to run fast.