Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This week I have been reading

Comments

• charlton life
  • Satanic Verses
    The Da Vinci Code
    War & Peace
    Love in the time of Cholera

Well ask a silly question!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Satanic Verses
    The Da Vinci Code
    War & Peace
    Love in the time of Cholera

Well ask a silly question!!!!

aint you reading Chris Moyles autobiography ? or maybe you wrote it
  • Bill Bryson's Shakespeare. I've also got Kafka's Metamorphosis on the back burner, but Ive got a bit bored with that - too much description for my liking; I have to be in the right mood for it.
  • LLoyd George - War Memoirs Volume 2 of 2. Over 2000 pages of small print.

Charlton were 5th when I started reading Vol 1.
  • The Third Reich in Power - Richard Evans, second of a trilogy about Nazi Germany, part one dealt with tthe coming to power of Hitler.

South Sea Tales - Jack London, a collection of short stories, some are good, some are there to pad the book out.

Dubliners - James Joyce, another collection of short stories, the characters are all set in Dublin and mostly have humdrum lives with little going on in them of interest. Looselt speaking the ages of the characters change, the first stories are about young people, then young adults and so on, the other notable thing about the characters is that they are all trapped by circumstances and their lives.
  • edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]aint you reading Chris Moyles autobiography ? or maybe you wrote it

Oh mate! I have had a couple of shifts down the gym since I saw that!! It is I can honestly say a shameful part of my life being described in that way
  • if anyone can't comment on on pushing maximum density it's me dicko
  • Haha might need another broken jaw to shift the spare truck tyre I've accumulated I reckon!!

Couldn't of looked that much like him I never once got asked for an autograph or called a northern fat c*nt
  • I met him once at an elastica gig , tit!
  • Sponsored links:

• At the moment i'm reading "Never had it so good" which is a history of britain from suez to the beatles by Dominic Sandbrook..very interesting i also bought the follow up "White Heat" which is the same sort of thing covering the period 1964-1970.
  • [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]Bill Bryson's Shakespeare.

great book
  • Just finished 'Blake' by Peter Ackroyd, well worth a read
  • Dracula. Seen it in film so many times I thought it was about time I got around to reading it. Very, very, good even with the Victorian prose which I thought would out me right off.
  • Revelation - CJ Sansom - another storming Shardlake story can highly reccomend this and the others in the series particularly Dark Fire.

Shardlake is a London based Tudor investigating barrister.
  • edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Just finished the rather disturbingIf I Did Itby OJ Simpson.

Very weird read and you are thrown between whether to believe what he is saying or not.

Need a few books for holibobs soon so will be interested to hear what people are reading.

Why? He obviously did do it - is it that you're not sure whether the book is a true account of how?
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]The dammed united, nearly finished its well worth a read, there gona make it into a film too will be interesting to see who plays Brian 'Young Man' Clough. still a pukka book tho. bit weird in places and the flash backs to derby but once u get used to it its good.

That's next up for me.

They were looking for extras for the Derby scenes the other day - you must look northern and have long hair I think!!
  • edited May 2008
    i've read everything he's published (and met him). my favourite contemporary author.

Agreed he's very good, Les Says.

I've read 1974, 1977, and 1980 - cracking reads, if very slightly "need to read that bit twice" in parts because of the structure and Yorkshire colloquialisms.
  • edited May 2008
    GB84 is also excellent
  • edited May 2008
    aye. as is his latest, tokyo year zero (imagine corrupt west yorkshire police of his previous books transposed to tokyo during the american post-war occupation).
  • Sponsored links:

• The World is Flat - Tom Friedman.

If you were not scared that some nice Indian or Chinese chap is going to collar your job in the next 10 years then you will be after reading this....
  • prisoners of the japanese by gavan daws and i just finished the luxury of time by jane tomlinson - a very moving book which has stopped me moaning about every little ache and pain i get.
  • North Lower Neil - Of course OJ did do it - it is more of the acocunt of what happened.

He bangs on about how Nicole was a bit mental etc but its really hard to determine whether he is telling the truth.

I despise the guy, as well as the jury and judge that failed to lock him away.
  • The Labyrinth Kate Mosse...excellent read
  • currently reading "murder on the orient express". I have never seen the film or read the book before, not sure how.
  • i've been reading the A-Z by collins for 3 years and still not finished it.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]North Lower Neil - Of course OJ did do it - it is more of the acocunt of what happened.

He bangs on about how Nicole was a bit mental etc but its really hard to determine whether he is telling the truth.

I despise the guy, as well as the jury and judge that failed to lock him away.

It was not Judge Lance Ito that found Simpson not guilty, it was the dopy jury!!! Bit OTT to blame the poor old Judge who was probably banging his head against the wall when the verdict came in from OJ's "brothers and sisters" on the jury.....
  • after finishing scar tissue then after that "the 90's , what the f**k was that all about?" by Jon Robb I bought yesterday black and blue which is the autobiography of ex Chelsea player Paul Cannonville , one of the first black players.
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]after finishing scar tissue then after that "the 90's , what the f**k was that all about?" by Jon Robb I bought yesterday black and blue which is the autobiography of ex Chelsea player Paul Cannonville , one of the first black players.

read the book over the last two nights , bloody interesting read and makes you realise what a bunch of knuckleheads supported chelsea in the 80's. The fella had 11 kids by 10 woman! amazing he had the energy to play at all
  • Just read two books by a bloke called Charlie Owen, Horses Arse and Foxtrot Oscar.

I was laughing very loudly and uncontrollably at both. Don't mind this reading lark, lost about 12 hours last week.