Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2016 refs

Been impressed on the whole but thought the England Wales ref from Germany was proper class for both sides.

Comments

• agreed .. the refs are letting play flow .. I suspect that the players have had serious warnings about diving and play acting .. there's been little of either so far .. back to the refs .. I wonder if they are in radio contact with the officials behind the goals ?
  • always 3 minutes added time though.
  • Only mistake so far in the whole tournament was the foul from Skrtel against Wales for me...

For me after 16-matches thats VERY impressive
  • Yep agreed with this all the officiating has been top class. Ref let a lot of pushing and shoving go and let the play carry on today.
  • Agreed - good refereeing so far. Glad to see they're not giving FKs for the slightest nudge or loss of balance.
  • Agreed. England - Wales ref let it flow nicely. Full credit to Lino for not disallowing our first goal!
  • How come there are two English refs at the tournament? Thought there was only supposed to be one representative for each country?
  • How come there are two English refs at the tournament? Thought there was only supposed to be one representative for each country?

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2318946.html

I imagine they just choose the best referees (according to some criteria) as it includes many from countries who didn't qualify
  • it has been excellent on the whole but its not over yet...
  • Sponsored links:

• it has been excellent on the whole but its not over yet...

"And Smalling has been sent off...disaster for England...the players claim he got the ball...the replays show it was a great tackle...England now have to play against Germany for 70 minutes with 10 men...that's a shocking decision by the Italian official"
  • like me @killerandflash we're both realists.
  • The first few games I tough the officiating was awful, second round has been loads better and today I was very impressed. What is the point of the officials behind the goal lines though if they miss everything bang in front of them?
  • As a referee myself, I have to agree the officiating has been excellent so far. I would like to add that plenty of credit should go the players too for the lack of histrionics, simulation and crowding round the refs we have become used to.
  • As a referee myself, I have to agree the officiating has been excellent so far. I would like to add that plenty of credit should go the players too for the lack of histrionics, simulation and crowding round the refs we have become used to.

Yh I'd go with that so far, when the games start to mean something I'm sure the Spanish, Portuguese will start to play up.

Yh I'd go with that so far, when the games start to mean something I'm sure the Spanish, Portuguese will start to play up.
    "Something's happened here Danny, one of the Portuguese players is down holding his face... it's Carvalho ...the referee comes over to Alli, it's red, oh no, disaster for England, down to 10 men against Portugal again...here's the replay, how much contact was there...he barely touched him...no contact with his face at all... that's a disgrace, England will feel cheated, the Dutch officials have made a terrible mistake here...Roy Hodgson is fuming, while Gary Neville is having it out with the 4th official"

"Once again a story of so near, yet so far for England, as Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates in front of the Portugal fans, but poor Danny Rose is heartbroken after his penalty went wide"

Sorry :-)

"Something's happened here Danny, one of the Portuguese players is down holding his face... it's Carvalho ...the referee comes over to Alli, it's red, oh no, disaster for England, down to 10 men against Portugal again...here's the replay, how much contact was there...he barely touched him...no contact with his face at all... that's a disgrace, England will feel cheated, the Dutch officials have made a terrible mistake here...Roy Hodgson is fuming, while Gary Neville is having it out with the 4th official and Pepe is still rolling on the ground after a leaf hit him"

"Once again a story of so near, yet so far for England, as Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates in front of the Portugal fans, but poor Danny Rose is heartbroken after his penalty went wide"

Sorry :-)
    Updated

Plenty of credit to you too for correct spelling. It can't be easy with your dodgy eyesight.

Glad somebody mentioned that. It's not quite true because yesterday there was 5 mins, but for a good reason.

The issue is not how much is added out there, but what is added in the English game, because I have several times pointed out that in my personal experience it is far less, right across Europe.

Now that is strange , because I thought there are FIFA rules about added time.

The evidence before us is the the English FA and refs have made up their own rules. We should be told what they are, and how the time is calculated. I am sick of this regular 5 minutes plus in England. The "minimum of 4"which magically turns into 6, without any injuries having occurred. It's not transparent. It's open to abuse, or worse.

The solution is simple. Give the task to the fourth official. Have his stopwatch synced to the stadium big screen clock. When he stops his watch, we all see it, and for how long. End it with an automatic whistle, like in ice hockey. Transparent. Unarguable. Why not?

Glad somebody mentioned that. It's not quite true because yesterday there was 5 mins, but for a good reason.

The issue is not how much is added out there, but what is added in the English game, because I have several times pointed out that in my personal experience it is far less, right across Europe.

Now that is strange , because I thought there are FIFA rules about added time.

The evidence before us is the the English FA and refs have made up their own rules. We should be told what they are, and how the time is calculated. I am sick of this regular 5 minutes plus in England. The "minimum of 4"which magically turns into 6, without any injuries having occurred. It's not transparent. It's open to abuse, or worse.

The solution is simple. Give the task to the fourth official. Have his stopwatch synced to the stadium big screen clock. When he stops his watch, we all see it, and for how long. End it with an automatic whistle, like in ice hockey. Transparent. Unarguable. Why not?

I agree that the time should be more transparent. However, there is nothing vague about the amount of added time. Simply 30 seconds are added on for each substitution and furthermore, time is added on by the match referee for any incident where he believes time wasting has been carried out. There is only one adjudicator for added time and that is the match official, not some random guy in the stand who is likely to have some bias to towards his own team.

This is entirely consistent with the ethos that the match referee manages the game, supported by his two on-field assistants and the fourth official.

Interestingly, in my days as fourth official (many years ago), the responsibilities were limited to keeping a full record of cautions/dismissals, retaining the sole alternative match ball until/if needed, and holding a spare set of linesman's flags.