Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Motorbikes

Anyone got a motorbike licence?

I'm considering learning how to ride one (don't ask why). I have access to one I could use. Never rode before, the easier option to start with of a mo-ped doesn't appeal. That's just a waste considering it roughly goes the same speed as a bicycle.

I'm a heavy cycler now and futuristically intrigued by a transformstion. I have a full driver's licence at least.

I hear it takes 22 months to get a motorbike licence which includes the obvious practical test (I think or I may have read that completely wrong)

Question is, for anyone that has experience, because I want to at least consider the part of my brain that is realistic and sensible.

How long does it take to learn to ride? Once you know the basics is it just a piece of piss? Or is it persistently dangerous in all circumstances and from your experience something you regret doing?

I think the bike I have potential access to is a cruiser. I'm not in the UK, where I am has more freedom for monover on clearer roads.

I'd be confident with it. I just don't wana underestimate anything and then look like a complete c*nt for many possible reasons afterwards.

Cheers.

Comments

• Mid life crisis?

I did a Direct Access course when I had mine in my 40s.

Had never ever ridden a bike. New rules are a bit different but it shouldn't need more than 14 days actual riding under professional tuition.

Advice is to go to a riding school and expect to pay over £500 for full course but price depends on whether you get 1:1 training or 1:4 training with an instructor.

My initial CBT done on a moped and full licence test on a Honda 500. After passed on 2nd attempt got a Triumph ST Sprint 995cc and amazed to find a powerful bike easier to ride than the smaller ones.

Riding school will assess you at the outset and tell you how much trading they think you will need.

Just go for it. You'll become a better car driver and discover how boring a car drive is.

• Thanks for info. Trying to find local short term crash courses etc and nothing about locally here. Though I can do a part time college study which sounds unusual.
  • Pretty much what dippenhall said. I have been riding since 1976 and never been without one so can't comment on passing your test.

Even now I am always looking to improve my riding and understand what can keep me shiny side up whilst still enjoying the ride.

Me and Mrs TT are booked into undertake a police run bikesafe scheme this summer.

I am sure that you will love it but never get complacent. Try riding your bike briefly with no skid lid and you will be more aware of how vulnerable you are with no steel cage to protect you.

Have fun.
  • Mid life crisis?

I did a Direct Access course when I had mine in my 40s.

Had never ever ridden a bike. New rules are a bit different but it shouldn't need more than 14 days actual riding under professional tuition.

Advice is to go to a riding school and expect to pay over £500 for full course but price depends on whether you get 1:1 training or 1:4 training with an instructor.

My initial CBT done on a moped and full licence test on a Honda 500. After passed on 2nd attempt got a Triumph ST Sprint 995cc and amazed to find a powerful bike easier to ride than the smaller ones.

Riding school will assess you at the outset and tell you how much trading they think you will need.

Just go for it. You'll become a better car driver and discover how boring a car drive is.

This. Did my full bike licence about 10 years ago.
    The thing I found was that whatever bike I had I wanted something with poor power.

The point about being a better car driver is also bang on. I do have a motorbike which is usually gathering dust for most of the year, however I can't resist giving it a good thrashing in the lanes of Brentwood in the summer months.

Go for it.
  • I've had my licence since 1983, and have not ridden for a few years now. All I would say is when you are out on the road be as safe and careful as you can be, you don't just have to think for yourself, you have to think for all the drivers around you. There is too much going on these days to distract drivers attention with mobile phones etc. Always expect the unexpected .
    Sorry to put put a bit of a downer on things, however having said that riding a motorbike is fun and gives you great sense of freedom.
  • Onlyme said:

I've had my licence since 1983, and have not ridden for a few years now. All I would say is when you are out on the road be as safe and careful as you can be, you don't just have to think for yourself, you have to think for all the drivers around you. There is too much going on these days to distract drivers attention with mobile phones etc. Always expect the unexpected .
    Sorry to put put a bit of a downer on things, however having said that riding a motorbike is fun and gives you great sense of freedom.

Yeah, too many motorcyclists using mobile phones these days - stop it !! :-)
  • Living in the wilds of Kent and being in the fire service for 23 years I don't get motorbikes, I gather they are a buzz etc but all I see are the end results. :(
  • I've been considering this too; I'd like to sort a bike out for myself this summer - work and finances permitting.

I did an unrelated training course for work back in 2009, and was chatting to a chap on it who advised me not get in to biking anymore due to the number of cocks on the road.

Since then though, I've met my missus whose parents both have Harley's and are part of a Harley owners' group - and they seem to absolutely love it, albeit her mother is very much in to it for the social side and has only recently got in to actually riding herself. (Before she did her full bike license, she did the CBT (despite not requiring too, as she held a full driving license prior to 2001) just to gain some confidence)

I also did the London - Brighton a few years ago, on my mates Honda Shadow - as well as a few other runs (i.e Southend) and just thought it was absolutely quality.
  • Broooooom, broo-oooooom, poor power, poor power...........
  • I had a 125 for 9 months then got my proper licence last June.

As you already know how to use a clutch, gears etc it shouldn't be too hard. Take your CBT and see what you think. It might not be for you.

If you're happy then book a 3/4 day DAS course with mod1 at the end. Don't book mod2 then as it could be wasted money.

You shouldn't need more than 5 or 6 days' training and although expensive, it is less than the cumulative cost of car lessons and test.

When budgeting also take gear into account. Get the best you can afford.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've had motorbikes since 1976 and I can say that riding one is the most fun you can have on your own with your clothes on, even better than watching Charlton get relegated whilst being run by a couple of Muppets.

As pointed out above, you have to really watch out for what others are doing on the road, there are a lot of complete idiots behind the wheel of a car.

If you can ride a push-bike, the basics of riding a motorcyle will come very quickly, then it's just a matter of getting as much road time under your belt as possible to improve your skills.

Two things to remember:

bigger bikes have, with some exceptions, better brakes and good brakes can be a lifesaver;

there are old riders and there are bold riders, but you don't get an old, bold rider - there's enough fun to be had riding a bike without being an idiot and putting yourself in danger.
  • cfgs said:

Living in the wilds of Kent and being in the fire service for 23 years I don't get motorbikes, I gather they are a buzz etc but all I see are the end results. :(

If you had to get a bike licence before you could drive a car it would reduce car accidents. Car drivers would see bikers as just "making progress" not trying to piss them off.

• edited May 2016
    Dave2l said:

Anyone got a motorbike licence?

I'm considering learning how to ride one (don't ask why). I have access to one I could use. Never rode before, the easier option to start with of a mo-ped doesn't appeal. That's just a waste considering it roughly goes the same speed as a bicycle.

I'm a heavy cycler now and futuristically intrigued by a transformstion. I have a full driver's licence at least.

I hear it takes 22 months to get a motorbike licence which includes the obvious practical test (I think or I may have read that completely wrong)

Question is, for anyone that has experience, because I want to at least consider the part of my brain that is realistic and sensible.

How long does it take to learn to ride? Once you know the basics is it just a piece of piss? Or is it persistently dangerous in all circumstances and from your experience something you regret doing?

I think the bike I have potential access to is a cruiser. I'm not in the UK, where I am has more freedom for monover on clearer roads.

I'd be confident with it. I just don't wana underestimate anything and then look like a complete c*nt for many possible reasons afterwards.

Cheers.

It can all be done in a week. Will set you back about £600 and you'll be well away.

You need to be alert when riding a motorbike, therefore if you're tired and have a choice, please get in the car.

A mistake on the motorbike at speed more often than not requires Hospital treatment as a minimum. That's if you're lucky.

Always think to yourself If I was driving the car in front what are the several things I might do here... Reading the situation could save your life.

And finally always remember, MSLM Mirror, Signal, Lifesaver, Manoeuvre.

It's great when it's nice and horrid when it isn't.

Fully recommend it.
  • I know absolutely nothing about bikes and can't add anything of value to this thread at all.

But I'd just like to share how much I enjoyed these two quotes.
    Dave2l said:

I'm a heavy cycler now and futuristically intrigued by a transformstion.

...and...
    Dave2l said:

Trying to find local short term crash courses

• edited May 2016
    I have had a motorbike licence for 40 years - so didn't need to do all the stuff you have to now to pass your test. Haven't ridden for 12 years but picked up a secondhand Triumph Bonneville yesterday! Its 5 years old but immaculate. Love riding a bike for that sense of freedom and a feeling of being "in the scenery" not just looking at it! I would definitely repeat what others have said though about driving defensively - always assume most other car drivers haven't seen you and always be prepared for idiots - especially 18 year old kids in old VW golfs or 90 year olds in Nissan Micras! It is great fun on a sunny day - especially on twisty country lanes and 'A' roads - avoid the motorways though.
  • Have held a full motorbike license for about 15 years....started out on 125 Vespa's, passed my CBT, then just went and booked a test after a two day training course at the old Catford Stadium... Had a 600cc Honda for a number of years but found that a) I wasn't using it so much and b) had a scare on the M2 that put me off.. I now own a 300cc Vespa that I occasionally use for the commute...otherwise it's gathering dust in my garage.. Love the freedom of being on the bike but as most of my travel was/is commuting into the west end, I find it better to cycle instead... Am sure I'll buy a Harley when I'm 50 though... :-)
  • edited May 2016
    Had a full licence since 81, had some great times with my mates , like others have said , your vulnerable on a bike and it doesn't necessary have to be your riding that will get you in trouble, you just have to get in the mind set that everyone is trying their best to run you off the road . The correct training will help you out in that area . I'm biased but I don't know what I would do without my bike .
  • fadgadget said:

This

What?
  • Better on a Lambretta
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

fadgadget said:

This

What?
    That

• I've had motorbikes since 1976 and I can say that riding one is the most fun you can have on your own with your clothes on

even better if you ride them without your clothes on but that would be for another thread.
  • Passed mine in 2007,did the nurburg ring same year in just over 11 minutes... just love the freedom of a bike.... get ya test done and get to the continent, they love bikers, people move over for you ....totally different from here
  • This is cool stuff. Thanks.

After bit of research I should be able to get the required training in 3 days early July then take a test.

Have to admit the possibility of shopping for a cruiser is a very exciting thought!
  • edited May 2016
    My bike and Sam

• olster said:

My bike and Sam

Time for a new picture thread - everyone's 'bikes parked up next to Sam.
  • olster said:

My bike and Sam

Decent
  • olster said:

My bike and Sam

Nice one @olster. Have exactly the same bike myself.
  • olster said:

My bike and Sam

Nice one @olster. Have exactly the same bike myself.
    Good taste. Thinking of changing to something more modern and lighter though, had a ride on my dad's street triple at the weekend which was lovely. Thinking about a 690 duke, or something similar.