Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Curbs for West Ham?

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Things do get worse...

Comments

• he's favourite
  • edited December 2006
    lay it.

dowie?
  • edited December 2006
    Good Call. How North is West Ham?
  • Cottee just on Sky giving a very strong call for Curbs.

Down to how single minded this new chairman is. If he listens to the fans, the west ham loving media, and how profile ex players, its Curbs job.
  • and if he listens to the fans it won't be Eriksson !!
  • i think curbs probably will get it, but i have a feeling the new board might want someone who has dealt successfully with top stars. hence my £1 has gone on george graham @ 40/1.
  • If West Ham choose Curbs they will definitely stay up no question which makes it even harder for us:-(
  • Curb's at West Ham............admitted they want to talk to him now.

Strange, we all knew it would happen but secretly hoped he wouldn't.

Can't describe how that'll make me feel.........stopped reading his book with a few chapters to go. At first it felt like I was reading my diary but now feels like the beginning of the end.

What a strange feeling.
  • it looks that way,i am really torn.part of me wants curbs to go somewhere and be successful,but if he goes there,i will be totally gutted and just hope he has a complete weston with them.
  • Poor Konchesky and Carlton Cole
  • Sponsored links:

• looking absolutely nailed on now.

Not ideal from a selfish point of view, but good luck Curbs.
  • He will have them playing all sorts of negative footie and westham love that dont they, he will fall on his face IMO.

Hope he does, but only for selfish charlton reasons, other than that good luck to him!
  • 50 million to spend? Is Curbs really the man for the job? Good luck to him though
  • How we'd kill for the negative football with results that he brought us. We're not exactly playing silky stuff right now are we and look where we are?
  • Its not the point chris, ask any wetspammer, they will tell you about the history of amazingly beautiful football, and curbs might keep em up, but will they be pleased with what they are paying to see! Westham fans are a funny bunch to please, just look at how much they hated pards before he got em up! Fickle is not the word! He aint the right man for the westham job In my opinion, they need someone like, well i dont no, but not curbs! Big mistake if they employ him imo.
  • Well put 04- But he wants the job and, if the rumour mill is to be believed, they want him. I would hate to see him go there, keep them up, and then get sacked because of the style of football he will get them playing, but that could well be the scenario.

Still feel the Newcastle job would be better for him.
  • Anyway, Alan Pardew for Charlton please!
  • O4 MCS - i do agree with what you've said they are extremely fickle but most fans would settle for the result over the way that play. I'm not for one minute suggesting he'll get them there but if he takes them into europe playing the way he did with us, will they care? I doubt it.
    Spurs fans have always been brought up on good football but if Jol got them grinding out 1-0s on the way to a champions league place i'm sure they'd be delighted. Admittedly though you can't please everyone.
    I'm convinced Curbs will do a good job at West ham but my only concern for him is how he reacts to bigger transfer budgets and more expectation.
  • Agreed stan, newcarsil better job for curbs!

Agreed rothers, pardew please.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]O4 MCS - i do agree with what you've said they are extremely fickle but most fans would settle for the result over the way that play. I'm not for one minute suggesting he'll get them there but if he takes them into europe playing the way he did with us, will they care? I doubt it.
    Spurs fans have always been brought up on good football but if Jol got them grinding out 1-0s on the way to a champions league place i'm sure they'd be delighted. Admittedly though you can't please everyone.
    I'm convinced Curbs will do a good job at West ham but my only concern for him is how he reacts to bigger transfer budgets and more expectation.

Good retort chris, espesh the bit about not being able to please everyone! I think this is why this subject is not really debatable.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]Agreed stan, newcarsil better job for curbs!

Agreed rothers, pardew please.

Curbs is a man of integrity. He wouldn't be able to work with a sleazeball like Fat Freddie.
  • 04 MCS, what's Mortain's views on all of this?
  • I reckon he will be on sooner or later, i will bust him a tex and tell him to post his opinions. He dont reckon curbs will get the job, well thats what he said yesterday!

Cue, Mortain, away you go mate, let us know whats happ nin??
  • Oh here we go, playing the fickle card!!

It wasn't fickle of us for disliking pardew. We disliked the style of football he had us playing when he came to us. We disliked his tactical decisions and his refusal to play good young honest players who wanted to play for the club, playing loan signing after loan signing instead (which weren't better than what we had). We were leaking goal at the back in the championship, playing the likes of Darren Powell & Malkey McKay at centre half. He introduced young elliot ward & anton ferdinand, which we were screaming at him to do for ages, and sure enough, things stabilised at the back.
    Pardew himself even done an inteview in one of our fanzines, saying his initial approach at west ham was all wrong. I could ramble on and on on the subject but its done now.

We're not hard to please at all. Play football how football should be played and we're a happy bunch. Pardew started to do this with us and won us over. he brought back our style of playing and became a firm favourite.

It might seem we were harsh on him, but had we not gone up when we did the parachute payments would have stopped. We would have sold the remaining young decent players we had and been up s creek without a cannoe let along a paddle. We would very much be "doing a leeds". Don;t forget we were £30m or so in debt then. Promotion was everything. We wouldn't have got promoted had pardew persisted the way he was.

If we were fickle, wouldn't we be pleased pardew has gone?
    Not a clean sheet all season, only 10 goals scored, not scored away from home in something like 7 games. Yet look at the reaction pardew got when we were taking over. We were stil with him. We are sorry to see him go. Is that fickle bahaviour?

If I were richard murrey I would pull all the stops out to get pardew at Charlton.
  • Oh dear Mortain, you're saying things like "play football should be played" and "style of football".

If you get Curbs this really wont be the case, not in the Prem anyway, maybe in the Championship.

What are your views if Curbishley came to you?
  • As for Curbs, I honestly thought our new board would have opted for a foreigner.

I'm not sure Curbishley is any better than Pardew. I'm not sure if he's he man to take us forward. But he is a west ham man, so would be my choice out of any of the names being thrown about at the moment.

Will certainly be a weird moment at the valley if you get pardew & we get curbishley.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]As for Curbs, I honestly thought our new board would have opted for a foreigner.

I'm not sure Curbishley is any better than Pardew. I'm not sure if he's he man to take us forward. But he is a west ham man, so would be my choice out of any of the names being thrown about at the moment.

Will certainly be a weird moment at the valley if you get pardew & we get curbishley.

To be honest mate neither of us are in a position to look to be taken forward at the moment. We need to concentrate on staying where we are, especially considering the money spent on players and the TV revenue on offer next year.
  • i am hearing a lot that the players let west ham down rather than pardew,reo-coker in particular and that pardew has escaped most of the fans abuse which this season has been mostly reserved for the players.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]

Too right- although the day Curb's came back to the Valley as an opposition manager was always going to be weird

good to have yourr views, Mortain!
  • [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]Oh dear Mortain, you're saying things like "play football should be played" and "style of football".

If you get Curbs this really wont be the case, not in the Prem anyway, maybe in the Championship.

What are your views if Curbishley came to you?

I respectfully disagree with you WSS. Curbs had a limited budget at Charlton partly because we were also building a Premiership standard ground for much of his time. He therefore, to use his phrase, had to manage what he'd got and played accordingly. I don't think it can be said that our football wasn't entertaining when we won the championship so it shows he CAN manage entertaining football. At the higher level though he had to cut his cloth with us.

I think with a bigger budget to buy better players Curbs will play more expansively as he is as aware as anyone of West Ham's pure footballing ethos. Next season I can see them fighting for 4th place.

Where will we be?