Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lost Vc5 Logbook and supposed to be picking up a new car tomorrow.

I am supposed to be picking my new car tomorrow from a big dealership (part of a national chain) and am trading in my current one against this as the deposit - (I also brought this car from the same place) - However I cannot find the Vc5 Logbook and think I may have lost this when we moved in December.

I have had a look on the DVLA website which says that if I have moved and have not changed the address (which I didn't) that I will have to apply by post and that this may take up to six weeks. Does anyone know if the dealer will be able to go ahead? ( have read mixed opinions on the web!)

Comments

• I would say it depends on how old your trade in is. If it's not going on your dealers forecourt then they'll leave it for whoever is going it to sort out. If your dealer is going to sell it they may want to charge an admin fee for the new V5. I really don't think it will be an issue though.

• I would say it depends on how old your trade in is. If it's not going on your dealers forecourt then they'll leave it for whoever is going it to sort out. If your dealer is going to sell it they may want to charge an admin fee for the new V5. I really don't think it will be an issue though.

Thanks that is good to hear - It has 72,000 on the clock and just under 4 years old so I don't think it will go their forecourt.
  • I have my doubts because the dealer might not be able to get the vehicle taxed on behalf of a buyer or on-sell it to another dealer or auction it.
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
  • If it's going elsewhere then it's basically already been traded on to another dealer. Cars are frequently traded around without a V5.
  • If it's going elsewhere then it's basically already been traded on to another dealer. Cars are frequently traded around without a V5.

I'm sure you are right. But some dealers might be cautious. One of the issues I've read about is the log book loan situation. It seems people borrow money with their V5 as security. I recall that one in five car repossessions are off people who bought a car from someone who was not actually entitled to sell it because it was being used as security on a loan.
  • Have bought cars from auctions without log books before shouldn't be a problem with a dealer who knows your history too
  • You will need to request one from the DVLA £25 I think it cost
  • it won't take 6 weeks if it's a change of address but you will have to pay the 25.00 as it's lost
  • Happy to say that it was not an issue at all and have now picked up the car, although they did hold onto the spare key.

I think it helped because it was a big dealership and I was on their PC system - I have been asked to bring in the Vc5 as soon as I have it.

I think if it had been a smaller dealer it may well have been a different story.

Anyway thanks for the advice - I slept better for it!
  • Who's the trade in with ? We're going to get a new car in August. Just curious to know what sort of trade in we may get. Not something I've had to do before
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

Who's the trade in with ? We're going to get a new car in August. Just curious to know what sort of trade in we may get. Not something I've had to do before

What you really want to do is search the Internet for cars like yours to gauge a ballpark market value of it. Then sort out the make and type of vehicle you want to buy/lease. After you've test driven it and started to talk etc, load the vehicle up with all the extras you'd also like but which have to be paid for then talk numbers. The dealer will tell you your car is 'only worth so much' and give you a sob story that he will be losing money on it. Then tell him you don't care what figure for your car he finally puts down in the paperwork, the only number you are interested in is the one you have to pay for the new car. There's loads of wriggle room a dealer can play about with and at the end of the day you can walk away and buy a car elsewhere if the net figure doesn't suit you whereas he has to sell cars for a living. If there's a deal to be done, he will find a way to get to a net figure you will agree to.