Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England squad

167891012»

Comments

• I do agree that Drinkwater has to go to the Euros, he fits so well in to the way we played against Germany and he knows how to supply Vardy.
  • No, I'm inclined to agree re Carroll. I'm mainly playing Devil's Advocate above. I think we should be like Spain and Germany and commit to the way we want to play, 100%. Have confidence in our team and our plan.

I think we're genuine dark horses for a change. If we can get through the games where we are favourites and opposition teams will sit back more, I think we can surprise once we face teams that will attack us.
  • No to Carroll. Yes to drinkwater.

• What I see him going for is something like:

Hart, Forster, Butland/Heaton
    Clyne, Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Stones, Jagielka, Rose, Bertrand
    Dier, Drinkwater, Alli, Barkley, Wilshere, Lallana, Milner
    Kane, Vardy, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck

But that's also a squad without Walcott, Sterling, Henderson, Delph, Ox, Carroll, Carrick etc.

Genuinely think it's going to be tough on a couple of players missing out this summer. The form of a few of those in the 23 I mentioned really has made it a hard call this year.

I don't think we will win it at all, think we may surprise people but I also got a feeling that Roy is going to play it safe a little as well, not so much the team that beat Germany, but a side that could include Rooney and Milner, which is not what we need.

On a Charlton related view point, it's a shame that Shelvey has seemed to go back in his career. He isn't going to achieve anything at Newcastle and needs to be playing slightly further up the pitch the affect games if he is going to play for England one day. Also a shame that Gomez got his bad injury this season, as our central defence really isn't that good at all. A good season behind him and he may have been an outsider for a spot, but maybe for the World Cup in a couple of years once Cahill and Jagielka are a little older too.
  • I know he is not liked because he dared to treat one of our footballing betters the same as other footballers treat us peasant clubs but if he is fit in time I still think Sterling is worth a place in the squad.
  • Sage said:

What I see him going for is something like:

But that's also a squad without Walcott, Sterling, Henderson, Delph, Ox, Carroll, Carrick etc.

Genuinely think it's going to be tough on a couple of players missing out this summer. The form of a few of those in the 23 I mentioned really has made it a hard call this year.

I don't think we will win it at all, think we may surprise people but I also got a feeling that Roy is going to play it safe a little as well, not so much the team that beat Germany, but a side that could include Rooney and Milner, which is not what we need.

On a Charlton related view point, it's a shame that Shelvey has seemed to go back in his career. He isn't going to achieve anything at Newcastle and needs to be playing slightly further up the pitch the affect games if he is going to play for England one day. Also a shame that Gomez got his bad injury this season, as our central defence really isn't that good at all. A good season behind him and he may have been an outsider for a spot, but maybe for the World Cup in a couple of years once Cahill and Jagielka are a little older too.

Butland is dead cert out of the euros with his broken ankle so it will be foster/heaton, personally would have foster. Agree with the rest apart from Sterling, he hasn't had a great second half of the season but still think we would be silly to leave him at home. I would have Sterling over one of Lallana/Milner/Walker, Clyne edges it over Walker and we have Stones who can cover RB so is there any need for another full back?
  • I know he is not liked because he dared to treat one of our footballing betters the same as other footballers treat us peasant clubs but if he is fit in time I still think Sterling is worth a place in the squad.

haha that is a great assessment of him! Really couldn't give a toss about Liverpool.
  • Sage said:

Butland is dead cert out of the euros with his broken ankle so it will be foster/heaton, personally would have foster. Agree with the rest apart from Sterling, he hasn't had a great second half of the season but still think we would be silly to leave him at home. I would have Sterling over one of Lallana/Milner/Walker, Clyne edges it over Walker and we have Stones who can cover RB so is there any need for another full back?
    Sterling instead of Milner for me, I would take both Clyne and Walker.
  • supaclive said:

The more I see of Drinkwater, the more I think we'd be mad not to take him and play him. That assist for Varney at the weekend, while simplistic, was superb. He was slightly fortuitous to turn his man, but the way, first time, no hesitation, he just pinged it 50/60 yards, perfectly weighted, with a nice bit of back spin fade right into Varney's path was brilliant. It's the kind of thing that someone like Pirlo used to give commentators semis over. Even if it had been Carrick or Wilshire. But when someone like Drinkwater does it it's 'just a long ball'.

Apart from maybe offering slightly less goal threat, he's more reliably fit and just as mobile as Wilshire and is more naturally suited to being a more defensive minded midfielder. Compared to Carrick he tackles more, retains the ball just as well (and with more tempo) and has as great range of longer passing too.

I think he and Dier could play together anchoring the midfield (Drinkwater slightly ahead of Dier) and allowing Alli/Barkley/Rooney or whoever to just get on with making shit happen up top. With Alli as well, no midfield will out work ours and we have players that will make it easy for us to play a pressing game and take Premier League style football to the Euros for probably the first time.

100%

Carroll is a dinosaur and we need to play football, not hoofball with the players we have.

Carroll scoring three against a poor back four like Arsenal won't happen at International football!

No, I'm inclined to agree re Carroll. I'm mainly playing Devil's Advocate above. I think we should be like Spain and Germany and commit to the way we want to play, 100%. Have confidence in our team and our plan.

I think we're genuine dark horses for a change. If we can get through the games where we are favourites and opposition teams will sit back more, I think we can surprise once we face teams that will attack us.

But then Spain have Diego Costa, who hardly plays the Barcelona/Real way while Germany have Mario Gomez who gives them a genuine aerial threat. He caused England's defence more problems than any of the other German players in the recent match
  • Depends a bit on how Woy wants to play. If plan A is the diamond in midfield then we rely heavily on our fullbacks for width. In that case I think you have to take Clyne and Walker becasue if anything happened to Clyne I don't think any of our jobbing right backs could fill the role properly. If we'll be playing more of a 451/ 4231/433 I think I'd take Milner over Walker because he and Stones can cover right back if needed and Milner offers cover for all sorts of positions and you do know what you;re going to get from him, even if he is not nearly as talented as some of our players. Woy loves him too, so would be surprised if he doesn't go. I agree Sterling should go and think he will too.

Has anyone suggested not taking Rooney? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:

The more I see of Drinkwater, the more I think we'd be mad not to take him and play him. That assist for Varney at the weekend, while simplistic, was superb. He was slightly fortuitous to turn his man, but the way, first time, no hesitation, he just pinged it 50/60 yards, perfectly weighted, with a nice bit of back spin fade right into Varney's path was brilliant. It's the kind of thing that someone like Pirlo used to give commentators semis over. Even if it had been Carrick or Wilshire. But when someone like Drinkwater does it it's 'just a long ball'.

Apart from maybe offering slightly less goal threat, he's more reliably fit and just as mobile as Wilshire and is more naturally suited to being a more defensive minded midfielder. Compared to Carrick he tackles more, retains the ball just as well (and with more tempo) and has as great range of longer passing too.

I think he and Dier could play together anchoring the midfield (Drinkwater slightly ahead of Dier) and allowing Alli/Barkley/Rooney or whoever to just get on with making shit happen up top. With Alli as well, no midfield will out work ours and we have players that will make it easy for us to play a pressing game and take Premier League style football to the Euros for probably the first time.

100%

Carroll is a dinosaur and we need to play football, not hoofball with the players we have.

Carroll scoring three against a poor back four like Arsenal won't happen at International football!

No, I'm inclined to agree re Carroll. I'm mainly playing Devil's Advocate above. I think we should be like Spain and Germany and commit to the way we want to play, 100%. Have confidence in our team and our plan.

But then Spain have Diego Costa, who hardly plays the Barcelona/Real way while Germany have Mario Gomez who gives them a genuine aerial threat. He caused England's defence more problems than any of the other German players in the recent match
    Diego Costa only has one goal for Spain though whilst Mario Gomez's goal against England was his first for 4-years.
  • One other thought that I think is a positive for England. In recent years I think some of our big players have been helped and flattered at club level by having quality foreign players next to them - Alonso and Gerrard is one (slightly out of date) example that springs to mind but there are others - and they have looked far less comfortable surrounded by less illustrious England team mates at international level.

This time around, particularly in the 3 Spurs lads Dier, Alli and Kane, we have multiple English players who have been bringing out the best in each other at club level. It should be much easier for them to transfer that form to England having their wingmen there with them.

I'm setting myself up for massive disappointment here when we face plant our way out of the group stages, but I'm really quite excited to see what they can do. I'm trying not to think too hard about that rickety defence.
  • Think it helps as well that the childishness between players seems to be disappearing

i.e. You always hear of how Man Utd and Liverpool players refused to talk to each other when they used to get call up to the England squad but that seems to have gone now and everyone gets along with each other which must surely help.

Leave the bitter rivalries to the fans I always say, as players just do your job on the pitch... Yes get caught up in the atmosphere of a fierce derby but just remember that you and your opposing number are both professional athletes!!

(Unless of course you are one of the true wanker class of Footballer (Kevin Muscat etc.) in which case their opposing number has my permission to completely take them out of the game, any way they wish).
  • Sage said:

I wouldn't take Milner and have Sterling in myself. We can't rely on Stones at RB if Walker or Clyne was to get injured, it'll almost certainly be those two at RB.

I think Roy is certainly going to take Milner whether he should be in the squad or not, he's versatility and experience is what will make him go to the Euro, it's just a matter of who will be left out in midfield for the players like Sterling and Walcott.

For once it's nice to actually have options for players we can rely on and for players who are actually in a good form for their clubs.
  • Now the squads are 24 not 23 there is no need to force a CB to be back up right back so I would take both.

My squad.

Hart Forster Heaton

Walker Clyne
    Smalling Cahill Stones Jags
    Bertrand Rose

Dier Drinkwater Henderson +1 (out of Wilshere/Milner/Delph/Carrick/Noble)

Ali Barkley Lalana Sterling Welbeck

Kane Vardy Rooney Sturridge

Assuming we play a 433 as Roy has been then that is fairly balanced. If we were to play 4231 I would want an extra winger in there. Not sure who I'd drop (would have to be Rooney) and not sure who to bring in.. Walcott or the Ox? Townsend? Albrighton?

Who knows what Woy will do. Will almost certainly be totally different from this..
  • My 11 would be

Hart
    Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand
    Dier Drinky
    Lalana Ali Welbeck
    Kane
  • Hart
    Walker Smalling Stones Rose
    Dier Drinkwater
    Alli
    Vardy Kane Welbeck

That would be my starting team but whoever plays I have never looked forward to a tournament as much as I am this one, we have a team of new faces and it feels like even if we are unlikely to win we can go out and have a real good honest go.
  • Squad tomorrow at 2pm for Qatar! 

My source tells me James Maddison will not be part of the 26 man squad. 
  • Hart Walker Smalling Stones Rose Dier Drinkwater Alli Vardy Kane Welbeck That would be my starting team but whoever plays I have never looked forward to a tournament as much as I am this one, we have a team of new faces and it feels like even if we are unlikely to win we can go out and have a real good honest go.
    This aged well! 
  • Sponsored links:

• I mean, in 2016 Danny Drinkwater was all the rage but even then I...just no 
  • Leuth said:
    Hart Walker Smalling Stones Rose Dier Drinkwater Alli Vardy Kane Welbeck That would be my starting team but whoever plays I have never looked forward to a tournament as much as I am this one, we have a team of new faces and it feels like even if we are unlikely to win we can go out and have a real good honest go.
    This aged well! 
    lol 6 years ago, only a handful of players left and that whole defence was shocking, i know we have concerns about the style we play but we've come on alot and even with a few injuries eg. Reece James, our squad will be good enough to challenge anyone