Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Broken Yale Key - Stuck In Lock

Help! Wife has just come in and broken her yale key. Its stuck in the lock.

Any tips on getting it out or is it a lock smith job?

Comments

• Put a bit of vinegar on it
  • Try using a paper clip or hair clip and sliding it alongside the key and in to the lock. you may be able to coax the key out. I've done this before but not with a Yale lock.
  • edited April 2016
    Take the barrel out, apply WD 40, keep tapping the back of the barrel with a light hammer and hopefully the broken piece of the key should appear and you can get some thin nosed players on it and Bob's your uncle. Seen it done, good luck, let us know how you get on.
  • Try using a paper clip or hair clip and sliding it alongside the key and in to the lock. you may be able to coax the key out. I've done this before but not with a Yale lock.

Thanks. Tried that but it didn't work. Can't be arsed to screw around with it. Looks like my winnings on the National are going on a Locksmith.
  • vffvff
    edited April 2016
    Use a pair of snipe nose pliers or strong pair of tweezers, if you are patient and careful, you can usually get the broken bit of the key out. Try 2 small screwdriver down either sides of the broken key to get enough of the broken bit out so that you can a grip with the pliers / strong tweezers. Alternately, if you can get the lock from the inside, just take the lock apart and change the yale barrel. It's not that difficult.

You could also call a locksmith if its really stuck in there and you don't feel able to change the barrel.

How strong is your Missus by the way ?

Just read Big Bad World's link above. Some good tips there. It is possible to turn the broken bit of the lock with the broken bit of the lock to get the door open.
  • edited April 2016

Try using a paper clip or hair clip and sliding it alongside the key and in to the lock. you may be able to coax the key out. I've done this before but not with a Yale lock.

Thanks. Tried that but it didn't work. Can't be arsed to screw around with it. Looks like my winnings on the National are going on a Locksmith.
    Is the lock on a wooden or uvpc door?
  • Strong magnet and tweezers.

Paid a locksmith to do that before now.
  • Sponsored links:

The hair clip or paper clip won't be strong enough, it can work with a screwdriver and pliers using the same principle.
  • Sorted now. Was a bit of a mare. The locksmith had to take the barrel out and then use a lock pick to get it out. He said its usually a 5min job and it took him 20. Oh well, national winnings "reinvested".