Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barca v Celta Vigo

Comments

• I don't really see how it's disrespectful. They felt they had the requisite skill to take a risk and try something different and difficult.

Is the panenka penalty also disrespectful? Or are these things only disrespectful when you're winning? Is it only OK to take an unusual penalty earlier in the game or where there's more at stake?
  • Thought it was Simon Church trying to hammer in the penalty then realised it was just Messi passing it
  • I don't really see how it's disrespectful. They felt they had the requisite skill to take a risk and try something different and difficult.

Is the panenka penalty also disrespectful? Or are these things only disrespectful when you're winning? Is it only OK to take an unusual penalty earlier in the game or where there's more at stake?

Basically, yes. Barca were clearly in the lead, and in control of the game. In the context of their season (18 wins out of 23 games) and their dominance of the play, their opponents didn't deserve humiliation. Having the skills and choosing not to make your already beaten opponents look stupid is the classy option.
  • edited February 2016

I don't really see how it's disrespectful. They felt they had the requisite skill to take a risk and try something different and difficult.

It's an utter piss take out of their opponents. I'd like to see them do it at 1-1 with 10 mins left or against a better team.

The panenka is a bit different, it's a direct shot on goal. Passing from a penalty is pathetic.

Mind you, I'd expect nothing less from a team with Saurez in it.
  • Does it go down as a missed pen for Messi?
  • Footballs about entertainment , that's what they do . There's no rule stopping them doing what they did therefore don't see what the issue is. Highlight of going down the valley at the moment is having more than 2 shots on target and a few corners . Long live the day we pass from a penalty and still score
  • Long live the day we get a Penelty, it's entertainment end of I don't really enjoy the way barca play but that second half was something else. Pace, aggression, trickery, and some utter brilliant finishes. Fair play to them nothing wrong with it in my
    Book
  • Hate Barcelona, muggy stuff like this just fuels it
  • Great stuff, especially when arsenal messed it up. Good to see something innovative and people on here getting so worked up about it.
  • Seen here as disrespectful to take the piss so much (well at least in the Madrid press) especially as Celta Vigo are where Luis Enrique made his name as a manager before getting the Barcelona job.

I think you can take anything in the Madrid press about Barcelona with a salt mine, not just a pinch of salt.
  • Sponsored links:

• I fail to see how people find it entertaining??

Exactly - It's a penalty where somebody has passed. How is that entertainment?

You don't find this entertaining?
    https://youtu.be/0l_QmTEoPdk
  • Yeah - that is......because they were trying to take the piss and ended up making themselves look like wankers.
  • Yeah - that is......because they were trying to take the piss and ended up making themselves look like wankers.

Arsenal don't need any help to make them look like wankers.
    Rokudan said:

Does it go down as a missed pen for Messi?

Yes... I actually took a look on livescore when I heard about it and giggled. It has a penalty miss for Messi and a goal for Suarez in the same minute...
  • No one's even going to see it.... :(

Which is what will sometimes happen when someone tries the pass penalty, therefore it is entertaining.

Which is what will sometimes happen when someone tries the pass penalty, therefore it is entertaining.
    Or.....they could just take the penalty properly which is entertaining regardless of the outcome.
  • It's not disrespectful, they earned the chance to do something different by having the lead they had, If a celta player beats Suarez to the ball then Barca look silly, and I don't want to have the best team in the world not try new things or switch off when they have a 2/3 goal lead in case people see them as disrespectful.

it's not a 'new thing' though. It's hardly like a new corner routine worked on in training is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• It's not disrespectful, they earned the chance to do something different by having the lead they had, If a celta player beats Suarez to the ball then Barca look silly, and I don't want to have the best team in the world not try new things or switch off when they have a 2/3 goal lead in case people see them as disrespectful.

it's not a 'new thing' though. It's hardly like a new corner routine worked on in training is it?
    Alright, replace ' new thing' with something different then.
  • Imo, the entertainment of a penalty kick is the tension of hoping the kicker/keeper guesses correctly. When it becomes effectively a two on one situation, there's no entertainment in that for me. All this talk of them being genius' for doing it is utter twaddle speak.
  • andyg90 said:

Imo, the entertainment of a penalty kick is the tension of hoping the kicker/keeper guesses correctly. When it becomes effectively a two on one situation, there's no entertainment in that for me. All this talk of them being genius' for doing it is utter twaddle speak.

Agree.

Genius would have been chipping the penalty on to the crossbar For Saurez to put the rebound in (even then you could debate the intention and if it was done purposely). Anybody could pass from a penalty - even Charlton (although we would mess it up).

Reckon messi can expect a bit of retribution when the teams play again.
  • Too much money is bet on football now, plenty of punters would have bet in play on that penalty.

Only winners are the bookies perhaps it needs investigating.
  • I think showboating when you're the best players in the world is probably OK and entertaining, Messi and Suarez have earned the right to be cocky.

Average players being the big I am and showboating is dickish- I think it was Jimmy Kebe a few years ago playing for Reading v West Ham in the championship who did the fiddling around with your sock and shinpad piss take when Jack Collison promptly kicked him for taking the piss - that was disrespectful IMHO.
  • Is passing the ball from a penalty "showboating"?

Crap entertainment.
  • IA said:

Is passing the ball from a penalty "showboating"?

Crap entertainment.

Certainly isn't showboating. If people think it's entertainment, then they are easily pleased. Passing from a penalty is something anybody can do. Showboating is something (in my opinion) that requires a bit of skill and is something that puts punters in the edge of their seat.
  • Huskaris said:

No one's even going to see it.... :(

I saw what you did, I laughed!
  • IA said:

Is passing the ball from a penalty "showboating"?

Crap entertainment.

Certainly isn't showboating. If people think it's entertainment, then they are easily pleased. Passing from a penalty is something anybody can do. Showboating is something (in my opinion) that requires a bit of skill and is something that puts punters in the edge of their seat.
    But Pires and Henry tried it and got it wrong, so it isn't something that anybody can do.
    And somebody watching the Messi penalty for the first time could conceivably have thought he scuffed it at first = punters on the edges of seats.

We're obviously not going to agree on this. I've never fully understood the 'disrespect' angle - I guess when I was younger, somebody doing something skillful and unexpected was admirable. I still see it that way.
  • Suarez was in the D, so he was actually cheating (shock) as well as being a prick (shock).