Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Manchester City - Guardiola confirmed

Pep Guardiola has just been confirmed as the Man City boss from next season...

Comments

• Jose at United

Could be interesting next season
  • Could be a boost for Leicester winning the League... If I were Manuel I'd seriously just fuck up their season now
  • He'll be the new Klippity Klopp, i.e. overrated, overpaid and over here ((:>)
  • Got to be good for Arsenal's title chances this year as I would imagine that news significantly undermines Pellagrini in some of the players eyes
  • Swisdom said:

Jose at United

Jose next England manager.
  • That is a really scummy thing to do to Pellegrini, have some respect and wait to announce it until the end of the season at least.

Apparently Pellegrini is coming out saying that he's been aware of it for the last month... To me thats him just saving face and agree with what you say, fair enough they didnt want to fight Chelsea or Man Utd for Pep but just hire him and keep it quiet
  • se9addick said:

Got to be good for Arsenal's title chances this year as I would imagine that news significantly undermines Pellagrini in some of the players eyes

Agree, but Bayern announced they would be getting rid of their manager half way through a season (Pep arrived there in the summer). They won the European Cup, League and possibly the Cup.
  • That is a really scummy thing to do to Pellegrini, have some respect and wait to announce it until the end of the season at least.

Pellegrini said in presser he was leaving at end of season and man city announced pep a few minutes later, they was waiting for Pellegrini to be ready to announce it first
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow Pep, so brave choosing to manage a club with billions of pounds
  • se9addick said:

Got to be good for Arsenal's title chances this year as I would imagine that news significantly undermines Pellagrini in some of the players eyes

Agree, but Bayern announced they would be getting rid of their manager half way through a season (Pep arrived there in the summer). They won the European Cup, League and possibly the Cup.
    They did, won the the treble.

City to win the quadruple anyone?
  • Maybe City will also hire the Dr that has done so well with the Barca players.

Pellegrini said in presser he was leaving at end of season and man city announced pep a few minutes later, they was waiting for Pellegrini to be ready to announce it first
    Doubt it is what has happened in reality, Man City just want to tout early that they have got an overated big name manager to build up excitement around the world, sell merch whatever else and they had just enough respect for the current guy in charge to let him put out a statement first.

I have nothing against them signing up Pep early or even announcing Pellegrini will be leaving but to announce his replacement while they still have a few months to go in the season, a season in which they are battling for four potential trophies is disrespectful in my opinion.
  • se9addick said:

They did, won the the treble.

City to win the quadruple anyone?
    Nah this is the Premier League...

He'll find it a lot harder there than his time in Germany (anyone who rivals Bayern just get their players signed) and Spain
  • messi to man city?
  • Pep has only managed the best 2 club teams in the world with unlimited resources and the best talent. Now he's bagged the best in the PL. How is he being touted as the best in the business is beyond me.

I think that's unfair. He's undoubtedly a good manager. He does get his teams playing well and in a style that exploits opponents near-ruthlessly most of the time.

That he's been at the top clubs is I think more testament to how well he's been able to translate the mental and tactical aspects of his game as a player through Barca B then into the Barca job itself. He obviously knows what he's doing.
  • Feel sorry for Pellegrini. Crazy when you think he could still possibly win all 4 trophys this season! Announcing it now is a pretty shitty thing for Man City to do in my opinion. Yet more proof that money may buy you success but you can't buy class and human decency.

I hope Pellegrini stays in the premier league as he's 1 of the few managers who rarely complains and comes across as a decent guy.

Doubt it is what has happened in reality, Man City just want to tout early that they have got an overated big name manager to build up excitement around the world, sell merch whatever else and they had just enough respect for the current guy in charge to let him put out a statement first.

Barcelona's most successful manager with 14 trophies in four years, including three La Liga titles and two Champions Leagues.
    Won the league twice in his two full seasons with Bayern, who are eight points clear in his third campaign. He is yet to win the Champions League with the German club and has been knocked out at the semi-final stage twice.

Whatever he is and whatever resources he has had at his disposal I don't think he can be labelled as "overrated".............yet.
  • I'm just glad he's not going to Man U.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

That is a really scummy thing to do to Pellegrini, have some respect and wait to announce it until the end of the season at least.

Barcelona's most successful manager with 14 trophies in four years, including three La Liga titles and two Champions Leagues.
    Won the league twice in his two full seasons with Bayern, who are eight points clear in his third campaign. He is yet to win the Champions League with the German club and has been knocked out at the semi-final stage twice.

Whatever he is and whatever resources he has had at his disposal I don't think he can be labelled as "overrated".............yet.
    I think the opinions of how much credit he gets for the Barca golden age differ.

Some say he was instrumental ,some say a one legged chimp could of been successful with them.

You can't measure much with the Bayern years but still has the ego and personality to keep control of a dressing room like city's.

Over rated may be harsh but still has lots to prove and if manages to make Man City a dominant force I think he will silence many a critic but that is a big IF.
  • Pep isn't overrated. He's an excellent coach who will do very well here.
  • Riviera said:

That is a really scummy thing to do to Pellegrini, have some respect and wait to announce it until the end of the season at least.

Some say he was instrumental ,some say a one legged chimp could of been successful with them.

the truth, as always, lies somewhere in between.

the barca players had been playing that style their entire lives, pepe was their idol and him believing in them is probably what allowed them to unlock that seamless confidence and invincibility. However, they were all amazing players in their own right hitting their prime, and had been playing in the tiki taka style since they were small boys, Pepe just allowed them to play like that.
  • Pep isn't overrated. He's an excellent coach who will do very well here.

Pah whats he ever done in football that guy luzon or bob peeters couldnt do
  • bobmunro said:

Swisdom said:

Jose at United

Jose next England manager.

Nah, he needs to spend silly money to build teams... I just can't see it working
  • Riviera said:

I think the opinions of how much credit he gets for the Barca golden age differ.

You can't measure much with the Bayern years but still has the ego and personality to keep control of a dressing room like city's.

Over rated may be harsh but still has lots to prove and if manages to make Man City a dominant force I think he will silence many a critic but that is a big IF.
    So pep is overrated when he done what he done with Barcelona, which the next 2 managers tito and Martino struggled despite having same squad,.

Brilliant manager and I tip City to win the treble next season(last time i said a team would win the treble next season they did just ask @stackitsteve )
  • edited February 2016

Riviera said:

the truth, as always, lies somewhere in between.

the barca players had been playing that style their entire lives, pepe was their idol and him believing in them is probably what allowed them to unlock that seamless confidence and invincibility. However, they were all amazing players in their own right hitting their prime, and had been playing in the tiki taka style since they were small boys, Pepe just allowed them to play like that.
    Agreed. Sort of a 'He did nothing wrong' mentality. Which is fair because you can do a lot wrong and not much right most of the time with these super clubs.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Pep has only managed the best 2 club teams in the world with unlimited resources and the best talent. Now he's bagged the best in the PL. How is he being touted as the best in the business is beyond me.

I think that's unfair. He's undoubtedly a good manager. He does get his teams playing well and in a style that exploits opponents near-ruthlessly most of the time.

That he's been at the top clubs is I think more testament to how well he's been able to translate the mental and tactical aspects of his game as a player through Barca B then into the Barca job itself. He obviously knows what he's doing.
    Not knocking what he's achieved so far, guess what I'm trying to say is he's untested. I'm not having the media dictate what a good/bad manager is(usually by trophies). Because each scenario is different, you show me a manager who's taken a nothing team with minimal resources but achieved promotions/trophies consistently and that's how I'll judge a Manager.
  • edited February 2016

Riviera said:

So pep is overrated when he done what he done with Barcelona, which the next 2 managers tito and Martino struggled despite having same squad,.

Brilliant manager and I tip City to win the treble next season(last time i said a team would win the treble next season they did just ask @stackitsteve )

I didn't say over rated. Just has something to prove with some people as this thread shows.
    As City is a different club altogeher to Barcelona.
  • last time i said a team would win the treble next season they did just ask @stackitsteve

But did you predict it the last time a team won the treble that matters? (People's Cup, League 1, and our hearts)